Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,278

1 members and 3,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

scared about burrowing

hi guys i don’t know exactly what i’m looking for here maybe just some reassurance lol because i have read a lot of threads on here about people’s bps burrowing so it seems like a somewhat normal thing for bps to do but it really really freaks me out when mine does it. he’s four months old and i’ve only had him for a month, he has two hides and he stays there throughout the day but sometimes at night i see him partially under the substrate and i just am always really scared if he’s okay or not. i’ve been checking on him when he does this because it really spikes my anxiety just seeing him laying there not moving and i have to make sure he’s okay but i am aware this probably stresses him out but i just can’t handle it. do you guys just leave your bps when they are burrowing? i am trying to be more chill i just want to make sure my baby bp is okay.

Thanks
    I have a surname BC that does it. As long as you have adequate hides (make sure their not too big, or too small that the snake can’t fit in) and your temps/humidity is good, nothing to worry about.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waterman For This Useful Post:

miatb (11-02-2019),richardhind1972 (11-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    Several things might make your snake want to burrow:

If using UTH heat & not enough is getting thru the substrate (like if it's too deep?) he may be seeking the warmer temperature underneath it. (check your cage temps.!)

If his hides are too big (don't offer "back pressure" to feel "secure"), he may be craving a more cozy feeling. (crumpled paper can make them more snug until he grows)

If you keep checking on him, I have a hunch he might be burrowing even more...for privacy & a sense of security. You really need to leave him alone...you wouldn't
    want someone taking your blankets & waking you up all thru the night just "to check on you". Do relax & let him rest, even if he's burrowing. He's a snake, he knows
    what he wants & needs.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

miatb (11-02-2019)

Thanks

Re: scared about burrowing

thank you for your advice! i have the substrate in a thinner layer over the uth for that purpose and he hasn’t been burrowing on that side (more towards the middle) so i don’t think that is the reason. one of the hides he has i am not sure if it is too big or not. when he is really squished and coiled up he takes up about half the room but sometimes he stretches out more and utilizes the whole space so i thought it was okay but maybe not. he also spends the most time in that hide during the day. should that hide be smaller?
    Last edited by miatb; 11-02-2019 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by miatb View Post
    thank you for your advice! i have the substrate in a thinner layer over the uth for that purpose and he hasn’t been burrowing on that side (more towards the middle) so i don’t think that is the reason. one of the hides he has i am not sure if it is too big or not. when he is really squished and coiled up he takes up about half the room but sometimes he stretches out more and utilizes the whole space so i thought it was okay but maybe not. he also spends the most time in that hide during the day. should that hide be smaller?
    You might try taking up some of the space inside that hide with a crumpled paper towel or two, & see if he likes it better? He still may just prefer to burrow.

Anyway, snakes are like people or other animals, in that we (& they) don't all like the exact same things, & when you pay close attention to your snake, you'll figure out
    what his preferences are.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

miatb (11-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miatb View Post
    hi guys i don’t know exactly what i’m looking for here maybe just some reassurance lol because i have read a lot of threads on here about people’s bps burrowing so it seems like a somewhat normal thing for bps to do but it really really freaks me out when mine does it. he’s four months old and i’ve only had him for a month, he has two hides and he stays there throughout the day but sometimes at night i see him partially under the substrate and i just am always really scared if he’s okay or not. i’ve been checking on him when he does this because it really spikes my anxiety just seeing him laying there not moving and i have to make sure he’s okay but i am aware this probably stresses him out but i just can’t handle it. do you guys just leave your bps when they are burrowing? i am trying to be more chill i just want to make sure my baby bp is okay.

If you are worried about burrowing don't buy a boa.. Hahahaha.. I have some BP's that do it and others that don't.. Seems like you have got good advice from other replies and things that you should check. As far as a BP laying still I don't think any of us can help you there.. They aren't the most active serpents to say the least.. With them being nocturnal you will likely very rarely catch activity periods.. To close things out, nothing you have in the post would concern me personally as long as the husbandry is accurate..

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

miatb (11-06-2019),Sonny1318 (11-03-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Snakes burrow, don't sweat it. And if you're reaching in there checking every time your snake burrows you're gonna drive yourself and the snake crazy.

Try to just relax and let your snake be a snake. I promise you'll enjoy your pet more and your snake will appreciate it as well.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

miatb (11-06-2019),Sonny1318 (11-03-2019)