Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,050

2 members and 3,048 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: New Boa: BCC or BCI?

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Mouse hopper or rat hopper?

Give a meal that is about the width of her body at the fattest part, or a little less. You don't want meals to live a noticeable bump, or if they do, not for long.

Are you feeding live or Frozen Thawed (F/T)?

40G terrariums, or any terrarium/glass enclosure are difficult to maintain humidity and heat in.

I would recommend getting something like a Boaphile Plastic enclosure, or other PVC type tank, in the future.

Floor space is also more important than height. She will need at least a 5X2' enclosure if not a 6X2'.

What are your temps and humidity now?
    I've been feed her live hopper mice. I believe she was being fed frozen but I prefer to do it live. I do monitor and make sure she isn't in any danger. I know there's some controversies regarding which once is better, and less dangerous. I just like to keep it as natural as possible. I'm thinking I probably need to move to larger meals lol.

I've heard this about the glass enclosures. This is more for my selfishness, I know, but I love look of terrariums! I keep her water bowl around the heat sources so it helps to provide the humidity she needs. Also, I'm looking in to buying an actual humidifier for her, although I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to that.

I'll look into the suggestions you provided, I've been doing some research on the different kinds and will be upgrading around Jan. or Feb.

Her temps right now are pretty normal for what they should be, I think. Hot side as an under the tank heater and a red heat lamp. It stays around 80-90. Other side is the cool side and is around 75-80. The whole room in general is usually around 80-85 degrees, seemed like a good place to keep her.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by colecolor View Post
    I've been feed her live hopper mice. I believe she was being fed frozen but I prefer to do it live. I do monitor and make sure she isn't in any danger. I know there's some controversies regarding which once is better, and less dangerous. I just like to keep it as natural as possible. I'm thinking I probably need to move to larger meals lol.

I've heard this about the glass enclosures. This is more for my selfishness, I know, but I love look of terrariums! I keep her water bowl around the heat sources so it helps to provide the humidity she needs. Also, I'm looking in to buying an actual humidifier for her, although I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to that.

I'll look into the suggestions you provided, I've been doing some research on the different kinds and will be upgrading around Jan. or Feb.

Her temps right now are pretty normal for what they should be, I think. Hot side as an under the tank heater and a red heat lamp. It stays around 80-90. Other side is the cool side and is around 75-80. The whole room in general is usually around 80-85 degrees, seemed like a good place to keep her.
    You can do what you want RE live vs. F/T. As you said, there are different opinions. I suggest feeding slightly smaller if live, and in general, prefer F/T for a variety of reasons, especially for snakes that will eat anything, like a boa. However, your call.

Do you have a weight on her? She should probably be eating much larger meals. Small mice, not hoppers, at least.

You admit you are being selfish by having a terrarium, but it's likely not ultimately what's best for your animal. You have a responsibility as a snake owner to do what's best for her, not you. That's my opinion.

What is humidity?

80-90F is a huge range for a hot spot. How are you regulating the temps? What thermostat are you using? Temps should be pretty consistent.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (11-01-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    IMO there's no reason to feed a boa live, they easily take f/t
    When she's grown and eating large and jumbo rats that can seriously do her harm, is it worth it?
    I didn't know better back in the late 90s with my first boa but after a jumbo rat bit down on her neck (supervised feeding, I tried to intervene), i talked to people and found out about f/t and never looked back.
    'Natural' has nothing to do with it when they are being kept in captivity.
    Whatever you decide is up to you of course, just throwing in my ten cents.
    For the Horde!

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (11-01-2019),dakski (11-01-2019),EL-Ziggy (11-02-2019),GoingPostal (11-01-2019),jmcrook (11-01-2019),MarkL1561 (11-02-2019),richardhind1972 (11-01-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    Definitely BI, looks a good size for her age. Mine have been in around 2.5' at a year. I would go to small or large adult mice every 14 days before I'd offer a rat, but that's imo. I offer mice until they can take weaned rats with little to no bulge, which ime has been at the 3' mark and 1.5-2 years old.

I don't feed my boas weekly at any point in their lives, 7 days is a bit too often. It won't kill them, I just notice better body tone when I feed every 10-14 days for the first year.

I would definitely feed f/t, boas are not picky, and feeding live is an unnecessary danger to the snake. An untreated bite, if you don't detect it, could become infected, and potentially cost their lives even if the prey doesn't cause much visible damage. Plus, there is nothing you can do to prevent the injury or death of a snake eating live prey. You can reduce the chances and possibly severity of damage, but you can't always stop it. My bp bore the scars of multiple unseen rat bites over the 5-6 years I fed him live. The largest scars he had were two knots on his neck where a rat bit down hard mid-wrap. I could not uncoil him without receiving major rat bites myself, and could not free the rat's teeth because he was squeezing so hard into the rat. All I could do was watch and hope he was ok. I finally made the choice not to put him in any more danger after a particularly aggressive rat, and it took 1.5 years of constant effort and creativity, but I did it, and he ate f/t for the rest of the 7-8 years of his life. Some snakes may be stubborn, but I'm willing to bet even the most stubborn can be switched with enough effort, and it's in their best interest to do so.

Red lights are ok as day time heating, but not preferred over a normal white light. I would either change it out for a white light on a timer, or replace it with a CHE that can be run 24/7 on a thermostat. If you continue to use a light for day time heating, you will need a secondary heat source such as heat tape/pad to heat during the night. Any light you can see, the snake can see, and it will greatly disrupt their behavior.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by colecolor View Post

I started keeping snakes in the late 70's...and please forgive the manner in which I text the facts...I mean no disrespect but these are the facts:

Your modified fish tank is less than ideal and it is not possible to make it ideal even micro-managing everything.

Your monitoring the feedings to prevent 'danger' will not accomplish anything. When the rodent fights back and bites the snake you will only be there to observe the aftermath. Most of the time the rodent bite does little damage but snakes have been blinded and/or killed by a single rodent bite while being 'monitored'.

The only controversy about feeding live and which is better is in un-informed keeper's mind.

There is absolutely nothing as 'natural as possible' about putting a living thing in an enclosure...nature is brutal, you shouldn't be. You are 100% responsible for that creature's well being.

I wish both you and boa luck.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (11-02-2019),Gio (11-02-2019),jmcrook (11-02-2019),MarkL1561 (11-03-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12