Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 849

2 members and 847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Welp! This ain't good! Python found wrapped around dead woman neck in house w/ 14

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I hope they also have someone knowledgeable about snakes- I hope they look for bite marks or snake saliva that might indicate an accidental feeding bite.
    It doesn't have to be a feeding bite/coil, any strong 8'+ constrictor around a neck is bad news, even just the snake trying to hold on can do damage, like what seems to have happened to Dan Brandon.
    It would seem a tad odd for the snake to still be there unless she was found almost immediately after it happened though.

Sad news all in all.
    For the Horde!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-31-2019),Godzilla78 (11-02-2019),jmcrook (11-01-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (11-01-2019)

Thanks
    I’m a 200 pound man and I say with a 6 foot or more long snake, not talking about the thin non constrictors, but u should 100% have a second person with u. Even if they are not there helping but they can if it comes down to that they can call 911
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-31-2019),Craiga 01453 (10-31-2019),Toad37 (10-31-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: Welp! This ain't good! Python found wrapped around dead woman neck in house w/ 14

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    It doesn't have to be a feeding bite/coil, any strong 8'+ constrictor around a neck is bad news, even just the snake trying to hold on can do damage, like what seems to have happened to Dan Brandon.
    It would seem a tad odd for the snake to still be there unless she was found almost immediately after it happened though.

Sad news all in all.
    Oh yes, I agree. I just meant that it might help, in terms of evidence, if the snake actually did bite her as a feeding mistake. If no such marks, it doesn't rule out the snake at all, but opens the door a little wider for other possibilities to consider. Very sad, no matter what happened. As Craig said, 36 is way too young to check out. And I hope there's someone as back-up caretaker for all these snakes too...don't know if she was the sole owner. She was pretty busy, if she was?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-31-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post

Sad news all in all.
    I'm also inclined to think this is a likely scenario. A feeding strike-and-coil sounds unlikely; it would have to occur in a very specific way to end up entirely wrapped around her neck, and a bite from a snake that size would be readily apparent on visual inspection without needing an autopsy report, i.e. would probably already have been mentioned in the story if such a bite wound were present. Losing control during a handling session is a much easier (and sobering) scenario to imagine. The snake could have been clinging on with no intent to harm at all, but the strength of a giant python is not to be trifled with. There are also cardiac and other medical conditions, even in a relatively young person, that can go undetected until aggravated by something that significantly impacts blood circulation and/or heart rhythm. A powerful constriction that compresses the carotid arteries and jugular veins, not to mention the vagus nerve, would do exactly that.

As for why the snake was still found around the woman's neck, depending on how much time had elapsed - I wonder if the snake got scared and held on tighter as the woman presumably collapsed and fell over. With the way some snakes tense and "freeze up" for a very long time until they're sure the coast is clear, this retic might have had a similar reaction to being jarred like that.

Whatever the case, it is tragic for this woman and her family/friends, and the negative impact on public perception of snakes is unfortunate and inevitable. As keepers of reptiles (large and small), probably the best we can do is to continue to educate, and to be grimly reminded of why certain safety rules exist.
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (11-01-2019),Bogertophis (10-31-2019),Godzilla78 (11-02-2019)

Thanks
    I know a lot of y’all are smart but just some FYI for those of u that don’t know.

I was a black belt when I was younger and it’s not the choking that can get u real fast it’s cutting off your blood flow. It’s really easy to do that with little pressure at the right part. Then from there it’s a collapse on the floor and the snake could definitely finish the job.

Not saying thats hats what happened but most people would think choke like they see in mma and they aren’t choking u they are cutting the blood flow off to your brain
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (11-01-2019),bcr229 (10-31-2019),Bogertophis (10-31-2019),FollowTheSun (10-31-2019),Godzilla78 (11-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    As far as handling snakes alone-- even my 3 foot male BP can squeeze my arm or neck hard enough to be difficult to remove or make me feel uncomfortable. I would never feel safe handling a larger snake by myself (and for the record, I try not to allow him on my neck at all).

The "snake house" thing-- the house was owned by the Sheriff, and I can't wait to find out more details about that situation or set-up. Was he a breeder, an enthusiastic hobbyist, or a hoarder? What was his relationship with the dead woman? Hmmmm . . . .
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 10-31-2019 at 11:55 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-01-2019),o.r hill (11-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Made front page of Apple news tonight via CNN.

Says reticulated python and has a picture of a Burmese.

Super all around.

This will create the wrong responses. However. As reptile keepers, let it be a validation as to why we have guidelines we follow as responsible keepers.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I sent the following email to the writers of this article: https://www.jconline.com/story/news/...ay/4111294002/

Dave and Nikos,

I read your article today on the sad death of Laura Hurst. I read similar articles on other sites, including CNN via Apple News, but was unable to reach those authors by email and do not have a twitter or Facebook account. If I could, I would send them this email, as well as point out they had a picture of a Burmese Python when they said in the article it was a reticulated python that was found with the victim.

I have kept reptiles for 20+ years of my almost 40 year life and think the truth of what happened to Laura Hurst is important, and that it is vital you report the findings, regardless of cause of death. If the snake did it, so be it, and if it's another cause, that is equally important.

I live in Connecticut, which does not allow either Reticulated Pythons or Burmese Pythons as pets. I have two Boa Constrictors, 2 smaller pythons (one carpet python and one ball python) as well as 2 corn snakes, and six lizards of various sizes. A Boa is the largest snake I own and the largest I want to own (my female Boa Imperator/BI, will not get over 8FT and my dwarf red tail boa, Boa Constrictor Constrictor/BCC greater than 5FT or so). However, I respect that other people like bigger animals. I also know that many people fear these generally misunderstood creatures.

I have spent a long time both working with my animals to "tame" them, as well as spend time with people I know and in the community to help them calm their fears. In general, captive bred, reasonably sized, pet snakes are not a threat to humans. Even the larger species, such as a reticulated python, usually do not kill humans either, certainly on purpose.

I write frequently on https://ball-pythons.net.
    Ball-Pythons.net
    Ball python care and information as well as community driven content covering all manner of reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates - from boas to ball and blood pythons to bearded dragons and brachys. Have questions? We have answers! Come join our unique community and create your own photo gallery, compete in monthly contests, classifieds, calendared events and so much more.
    ball-pythons.net
    [COLOR=var(--neutralSecondary)]
    [/COLOR]
    It's a reptile forum and consistently voted one of the top ones on the internet.

When news hit this morning, it shocked our community and scared us. It didn't scare us because we have snakes, but it scared us because people tend to react to these articles strongly, and not necessarily positively for the reptile community.

If the snake did kill Laura, then it should be explained that a) this is extremely rare and b) that guidelines exist in the responsible reptile community. These include not handling a snake over 8FT on your own and not letting a larger constrictor wrap around your neck.

I should point out that if the snake were attempting to constrict her, which they only do to kill prey (and this is unlikely given her being and adult and the reticulated python only being 8FT - versus 20FT+ they can get), it would have almost definitely struck and bit her as well.

It is possible it wrapped around her neck and could have killed her that way, by accident, but that's not the same thing.

The point here is now that you've published this article, I ask you, kindly, to follow up after the autopsy results and give the findings. If this was a tragic accident and the snake was at fault, please include some statistics about how rare this is given how many people keep snakes in the US and in the World. If the snake is not at fault, please report that and maybe back it up with the same statistics you would have written had it been the snakes fault.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I appreciate anything you can do accurately report the truth here.

Take care and be well.

David XXXXXXXX

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-01-2019),Bogertophis (11-01-2019),Craiga 01453 (11-01-2019),hilabeans (11-01-2019),L.West (11-01-2019),Lord Sorril (11-01-2019),Luvyna (11-01-2019),richardhind1972 (11-01-2019),the_rotten1 (11-01-2019),Toad37 (11-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    I've read the story in several places but haven't seen what's going to come of her other snakes. Do you think they'll be rehomed or destroyed?

Such a sad story on so many levels.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    I've read the story in several places but haven't seen what's going to come of her other snakes. Do you think they'll be rehomed or destroyed?

Such a sad story on so many levels.
    According to the news articles 20 of the snakes were hers, the rest belonged to the homeowner who actually lives next door.

The homeowner is the county sheriff and said back in 2001 during an interview when he was initially running for the position that he kept snakes as pets and bred them. So, I doubt they will be destroyed.

Also bear in mind the reason that this is such big news is that these types of incidents are so rare; the last incident I can recall in the US was back in 2011.
    Last edited by bcr229; 11-01-2019 at 09:44 AM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (11-01-2019),Bogertophis (11-01-2019),Sonny1318 (11-01-2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast