Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,909

2 members and 2,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

keeping up ambient temps in plastic tub?

hey guys, i was just wondering how to keep up my ambient temps and the temp of the cool side in a plastic tub. i have my four month old bp in a plastic tub (i only have one snake, so just a single one, no snake rack) with a heat pad on one side set to 90 but am having trouble keeping up the cool side. currently i have just been heating up the whole room to get the cool side around 77-80 and it isn’t that hard because it is a pretty small room but this has lead to a lot of fluctuations in temperature and just being not as steady and reliable as i would like it to be. i know temps fluctuate in the wild i just don’t want this to be in any way damaging to my bp. i know people use heat lamps and ceramic heat emitters but i don’t how how to use those with my plastic tub setup without melting everything. i’ve also heard of putting another heat pad on the cool side but i don’t know how well that would work to raise ambient temps and also his hide on that side has a bottom to it so i don’t really see the point but correct me if i’m wrong. i’m open to any ideas.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You don't use a heat lamp with a plastic tub, that's asking for trouble, you use a second heat pad and a second thermostat if you feel that the temps need to be higher, however your temps on the cool side are fine.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: keeping up ambient temps in plastic tub?

I agree that your temps are fine where they are. I have a few critters in tubs as well. I'll sometimes add a heater in the room to boost my ambient temps. My temps will drop into the lower 70s during the winter months. I don't think it's a big deal at all as long as the snakes have access to a hot spot at least during the day. I know some breeders and keepers that cut off the heat at night but I haven't done that yet.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO