Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,387

0 members and 1,387 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Exclusive Feeding on African Soft Fur mice?

Hi all!

Really excited to post this update as my grown up girl has come such a long way in the last few months! Super settled, easy handling, 3 full sheds and gained a bit of weight. Last time I posted, I was really struggling to get her to eat – what finally did it was a multimammate (ASF) mouse. She went straight for it! I bought a few so was delighted to see her eating each week and slowly gaining weight. However, as they are quite small (60g), I decided to try and get her on rats. Well, she had 2-3 and then started refusing again. I tried for 3 weeks leaving a week between each offer but nothing.

So I went back to the multis. She loves them! She even strikes while I’m still warming them up sometimes. As they are the incorrect size, I decided to offer two tonight and she took them no problem. What I am now wondering is if it is okay to keep feeding her with these exclusively. It saves so much hassle and no more wasting rats! I’ve actually read that these are the most natural prey but often aren’t used because they then refuse to eat anything else. Is that a bad thing though if I feed her the right amount? And is 2x60g every 7 days a suitable schedule for her at 1500g?

Everyone seems to recommend rats and keeping it to one correctly sized prey item but if this is working for us, I can’t see a terrible reason why not to go ahead with it? Thanks so much for any thoughts or experiences. Let me know if I’m missing something!

Little album of photos and vids to show how she’s doing https://imgur.com/a/MDVV3Se

Last edited by calislytherin; 10-30-2019 at 11:18 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    ASF is better!
    Look here for a simple answer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f10_XQ5Rig

One ASF is enough.
    Last edited by 303_enfield; 10-30-2019 at 11:40 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

calislytherin (10-30-2019)

Thanks

Re: Exclusive Feeding on African Soft Fur mice?

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    ASF is better!
    Look here for a simple answer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f10_XQ5Rig

One ASF is enough.
    Thanks so much for sharing this video! Been looking everywhere for basically this info. I did find it surprising how quickly she was gaining weight on just one a week.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    One of the reasons I feed ASF is the protein, for me the best an safest way to put weight on an keep snakes at the correct weight. Your not over feeding an the smaller meal is easier on the snake. I've never seen or heard of a BP outgrowing an ASF.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

calislytherin (10-31-2019)