Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,003

2 members and 3,001 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: "Scaleless" Ball Pythons

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    ...Obviously it naturally occurs it was not engineered with strange experiments....
    Just because something occurs naturally doesn't mean it survives naturally...there's a gigantic difference. Just saying...
    And while it may have popped up by chance, it's only around because of human interference, or what I'd call UN-natural selection.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (10-29-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Just because something occurs naturally doesn't mean it survives naturally...there's a gigantic difference. Just saying...
    And while it may have popped up by chance, it's only around because of human interference, or what I'd call UN-natural selection.
    So are most mutations out there and all dog breeds which most are messed up at a level or another yet all love them.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 10-29-2019 at 05:14 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-29-2019),Toad37 (10-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Well done on finding those videos Deb - I hadn't seen any of them!

I find the scaleless bp's interesting but they're not something I really want to get into as a keeper. It comes down to personal choice in the end really.

There are a lot of morphs that don't really appeal to me - but as long as there is enough information out there that those who do can keep them well I don't feel it's my place to get in their way or make it harder for them to work with them.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-29-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (10-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I wanted to comment here, as I keep a Scaleless Corn Snake, Solana.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ow-Motley-Corn

I was fascinated by Scaleless Corns since they've existed and had the opportunity to get Solana from Don Soderberg at South Mountain Reptiles when she was the only one in the world with both her traits and her visual markings.

IMO, it's no different than an albino BP, Boa, or Corn, etc. except that in corn snakes, they are all from an original pairing of a corn and another rat snake, which escapes me at the moment. So, in that sense, they are hybrids and "manufactured."

It's a "naturally" occurring recessive trait. I've heard mixed things on the BP's who are scaleless as well as the smooth skinned Bearded Dragons (who need lotion rubbed on their skin, or so I've heard - please correct me if I am off here). Scaleless corns look and feel different than other corns, and in many cases the colors "pop." However, they retain scales around their mouth, eyes, and nose for protection, and all on their bellies so locomotion is not an issue. Having said that, I wouldn't feed live to a scaleless corn, but I don't anyway and they are garbage disposals and happily eat F/T.

Going back to how I don't feel it's different than other morphs. A bright yellow Boa isn't going to do so well in the jungle, or for long anyway, and neither is a purple corn snake (I keep Figment, who is just that). As Stewart_Reptiles points out, dogs are bred for what we want as humans as well, but we love them. They would not survive in the wild either.

Solana was expensive, but for a corn snake, not compared to what people pay for BP morphs. She happens to be the calmest corn I've ever met and has shown zero ill effects from being scaleless. I plan to keep her for her life and care for her and she will never end up in the wild. I view her as I do any of my other reptile morphs.

Let's face it, most reptile breeding is about looks and genetics. In my mind, this is no different.

Thanks
    I’m not jumping on the bandwagon of hating them. I think they look really cool. I’ve seen a few in person and they feel really cool in your hands. Will I own one... probably not. But that’s due to the fact that I wouldn’t know how to properly take care of one and don’t feel like doing the research until they have been out for years and have the husbandry down to a science. Also the price will need to come down. I’m not paying thousands when I’m 3-4 years they will be in the hundreds.

If u can keep them 100% Healthy and u like the look why not? It’s no different then an albino or any other morph for that matter.

ID RATHER SEE THESE THAN THE SPIDER MORPH
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12