Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,552

2 members and 2,550 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

"Scaleless" Ball Pythons

I will preface this by saying I'm not trying to cause any drama or say anything offensive. I am genuinely just curious about the topic & how other people feel about it. So, that being said, please understand that I'm not trying to criticize or call out anyone who may have interest in this, I am just trying to educate myself & understand more, and overall see how the general ball python enthusiast population feels about it as a whole.

That being said...

I've seen a growing trend in "scaleless" morphs. I saw a photo on instagram today of one, and the snake honestly didn't look overly healthy, and looked SO fragile. In the comments people were saying how this was the next "growing trend" in BP breeding, etc...

Is it a problem to be messing with genetics so much that we are now breeding a creature without scales that's meant to have scales? Do these snakes have health problems? Is it problematic that we are making these "trendy" when they may need additional care?

I'm one for healthy & responsible breeding, so I am curious how healthy these snakes tend to be without scales, etc... I am someone who isn't a big fan of the spider gene (they are beautiful don't get me wrong), but I feel concern for them due to the genetic head wobble they possess. Not to criticize those who own them. I do know many lead happy/healthy lives.

Just curious what other's thoughts are on this...
    Last edited by wonderwhitters; 10-29-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    Follow along on Poe's adventures on instagram: @poe.the.python

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wonderwhitters For This Useful Post:

aurum (10-29-2019),Bogertophis (10-29-2019),Craiga 01453 (10-29-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    This topic has come up a few times here and elsewhere. I think it's a great topic.

I personally just don't see the point. It makes no sense to me to breed them scaleless. Granted in captivity they don't need their scales as defense against predators, but in my mind, they're there for a reason. Why intentionally remove them?

And if I'm being honest, I have found almost every scaleless snake I've seen is ugly to me. It just looks...well ...weird and wrong.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-29-2019),Sonny1318 (10-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,792 Times in 11,827 Posts
    I'm not a fan of all this manipulation away from what nature has created and more importantly, what survives in the wild. To me, scaleless in particular are just for
    "freak appeal", as are the hybridized snakes that would never breed on their own. (like "jungle corns" -the cross between a king & a corn...trust me, the king would
    consider the corn as dinner!) Even if I were into breeding snakes these days I'd never jump on this "bandwagon"...some fads are best ignored, IMO, & of COURSE
    snakes without scales are more vulnerable... I'll never understand much less condone this sort of breeding. I like snakes for who and what they are, & natural
    selection has gotten it right. Why anyone would think it's a good idea to go backwards is beyond me...thanks for asking.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (10-29-2019),Craiga 01453 (10-29-2019),Sonny1318 (10-29-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some people like scaleless some don't same with hairless cats. Scaleless BP are actually not that trendy many people prefer their BP with scales and this shows when you look at the market.

Obviously it naturally occurs it was not engineered with strange experiments.

As for their health scaless cornsnakes are doing fine and have been around for quite some time.

Ball pythons well it's best to hear from someone that works with them, sure there was some controversy at first but a lot of it came from how the projects was originally handled, the secrecy and the conspiracy theories however there are no longer any secret.

Anyway here are some info they are a little higher maintenance but again so are hairless cats.

Personally I would love to have a scaleless snake however I would be leaning toward a cornsnake or a ratsnake they just look more appealing to me.

Bottom line you like scaleless buy one you don't then don't same applies for every single mutation out there from Banana to Spider to Pied to Champagne to Scaleless
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Annageckos (10-29-2019),CKan145 (11-03-2019),dr del (10-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    I don't know much at all about them, but personally, I think snakes with just scaleless heads look like a birth defect.

The example with hairless cats does sound like a good comparison though. Sure, they aren't necessarily "supposed" to be, but people do it, and I don't think many people consider that irresponsible.
    Last edited by wnateg; 10-29-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: "Scaleless" Ball Pythons

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    I don't know much at all about them, but personally, I think snakes with just scaleless heads look like a birth defect.
    All of the mutations we breed for are technically "birth defects", but it's one of those things.

Personally I'm in the camp that they appear hideous and frail. Hard pass on anything Scaleless for this guy. Also not a fan of anything with a wobble.

Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-29-2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Deborah Stewart

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dr del (10-29-2019)

Thanks

Re: "Scaleless" Ball Pythons

Lots of awesome replies so far. I will definitely check the videos out! Lots of great points made above as well.
    Follow along on Poe's adventures on instagram: @poe.the.python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    They look ugly. And way overpriced just to have an animal that is without (Like ordering a burger without the patty).

Oh well, I'm not against it though. There has been no reports of snakes suffering from any negative affects or health issues as a result of being scaleless. So if you are into it, go for it. I do admit that the coloring in its pattern 'pops' more for scaleless rat snakes. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast