Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,057

1 members and 3,056 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Skinny snake during shed, should I feed him?

I have a baby ball python that I took to the vet recently because he was refusing food for a long time. I was given a food supplement to force feed him to put some weight on him and get his strength up. Recently he's gone into shed, I know he should be left alone which I've been doing, but I worry that because he's still so skinny he might have problems getting his shed off. My only concern is he might regurgitate his food since he's in shed, though so far he's had no problem swallowing his food. (he's such a good boy).

Should I feed him or give him more time?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Wait until after he sheds, don't handle him now...his skin is sensitive & can be damaged att. But be sure his humidity stays up to help him, & do let us know when
    he's done shedding. And do check to make sure all his old shed skin comes off...check eye-caps & tail tip especially, they can lose their tail tip from loss of adequate
    blood circulation if even a little bit of shed remains on the tail tip for a couple sheds.

Maybe after he sheds we can offer tips to help you get him feeding normally...that's WAY better than trying to force feed anything. OK?

It would also help us (to help you) if you give more info about his set-up: high & low temps, humidity, type & size of cage- posting pics helps too. If any of this isn't
    quite right, that's likely why he's not feeding...young "baby" ball pythons normally have a good appetite when healthy, unless they're too cold or too stressed. While it's
    good that you cared enough to take him to the vet, many vets (even those who see pet snakes) don't dwell on the husbandry aspects, only on the medical side they're
    trained for. They don't always know or take the time to ask about other causes for a snake that's not eating...their approach may be purely medical, when all you need
    are better techniques or the right cage & right temperatures.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)