Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,969

1 members and 2,968 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Yikes, good information to have, not that I had intended to go to toads anytime soon but I'm glad to simply cross them off the list.

As for my dude, his tank is running a little cool now. I do have a small area that's 83-86 but the UTH is struggling to penetrate the substrate so the next step is to remove about half of that. I haven't seen him since getting rid of the light so I'm hoping he's hunkered down somewhere sleeping off the stress of being overheated. :/ Do I dig up his cage now and get the temps ideal or give him a week to chill out before upending everything again?

As for downsizing, what size enclosure should he be in? I prefer to run my enclosures large for my other herps but if he needs to go small that's what he gets.

Thanks

Re: Hognose not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hey, what size mice have you been offering, anyway? Is it possible he doesn't like the fur? I have a TX longnose snake that's supposed to be a lizard (& possibly small snake) feeder, but he has been eating pink, & then fuzzy mice for me for many (17) years. Good sized fuzzies are the right size for him, & some
    snakes can be very fussy...I know you (OP) offered a live fuzzy, but maybe the "live" put him off too? What size was he eating before? My current longnose snake (as well as those w/c's I've worked with in the past) have all accepted f/t better when it's literally thawed IN water (not in a baggy), presumably because more of the mouse scent/flavor gets washed off...& then I'll pinch-damage the nose w/ my tongs to release a little more scent from the internal parts, & I can
    get most longnose snakes to eat mice. (fyi, this is known to be a very challenging endeavor) So if that's something you haven't tried yet...? Just don't keep
    trying things too often...remember that stresses snakes too, give a week's rest in-between.

I had been offering hoppers, which he ate like a champ in the beginning. This past weekend I offered a live fuzzy. My only local reptile shop apparently suffered an arson attack recently and is low on feeders but I may be able to get some rat pinks from them soon. Or I suppose if he wants mouse pinks I have access to those, seems like he'd need to eat several but at this point I'd be thrilled to see him eat anything. I've always thawed them in just water (no bag) but haven't tried damaging the nose, that's something I can add to the list. And yes, I have only been offering once a week and not handling him in between offerings.
    Last edited by Wolfchan; 10-28-2019 at 08:01 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wolfchan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-28-2019),Craiga 01453 (10-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchan View Post
    ...what size enclosure should he be in? I prefer to run my enclosures large for my other herps but if he needs to go small that's what he gets.
    I'd say 10 gal size or whatever Deborah suggested -I use tanks, she's a tub fan-
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchan View Post
    ...As for my dude, his tank is running a little cool now. I do have a small area that's 83-86 but the UTH is struggling to penetrate the substrate so the next step is to remove about half of that. I haven't seen him since getting rid of the light so I'm hoping he's hunkered down somewhere sleeping off the stress of being overheated. :/ Do I dig up his cage now and get the temps ideal or give him a week to chill out before upending everything again? ...
    I would think it would be better to get all the changes done A.S.A.P. & then let him rest. If his cage is too cool for a week, THAT alone can put him off eating too, especially with the days getting shorter. Snakes know (by warmth & day length) to stop eating & brumate, so they don't get caught with food in their gut that they cannot digest...that can be a fatal mistake, which is why natural selection gave the survivors instincts to be "difficult to feed" this time of year in captivity. This is how they survive in the wild.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-29-2019 at 12:00 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12