Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,103

5 members and 3,098 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basking Shelf

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Only had 1 boa- large BCI (other than temp. rescues) & she loved to 'bask' on top of her very sturdy home-made extra large hide- rectangular & flat (made of water-
    sealed wood & tile board top) with washable non-slip carpet on top. The height put her closer to overhead warmth as UTH below the hide warmed from underneath.
    She enjoyed both being IN the hide, & on top of it as needed. It was very EASY to make, also...& not expensive, & a pair of doorways side by side at one end made
    it much easier for her big body to come & go. I've not seen other hides made that way, it was my own inspiration that appeared to be well-appreciated as she often
    cruised her cage, & would pass herself coming & going in/out of her hide, but it was very long ("deep") so she felt secure at the far end as well.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (10-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    Just skimmed back through your other thread. Have you tried limiting the % power supplied to the panel? What size/wattage is your panel? I did the same thing with my 6’ and 8’ cages, 120watt and 190 watt respectively. Limited them to ~70% max power and temps stabilized a lot.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-27-2019),ckuhn003 (10-27-2019)

Thanks

Re: Basking Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Just skimmed back through your other thread. Have you tried limiting the % power supplied to the panel? What size/wattage is your panel? I did the same thing with my 6’ and 8’ cages, 120watt and 190 watt respectively. Limited them to ~70% max power and temps stabilized a lot.
    I have not tried limiting the power but it has crossed my mind as the next option to try. I have the PH-12 100 watt panel. So do you recommend a certain % to start with?? I've never used this setting and couldn't find much in the way of helpful info in the Herpstat instruction booklet. Thanks!
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-27-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I have not tried limiting the power but it has crossed my mind as the next option to try. I have the PH-12 100 watt panel. So do you recommend a certain % to start with?? I've never used this setting and couldn't find much in the way of helpful info in the Herpstat instruction booklet. Thanks!
    I’d start with something like 70%, set your temps and keep an eye on it. 100watts seems like a lot for a 4x2x15 but Bob knows his stuff pretty well. I imagine that’s part of the reason it was spiking up to mid 90s, probably reaching upper range of power usage, quickly reaching the set temp, then falling again. Lather rinse repeat haha!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I’d start with something like 70%, set your temps and keep an eye on it. 100watts seems like a lot for a 4x2x15 but Bob knows his stuff pretty well. I imagine that’s part of the reason it was spiking up to mid 90s, probably reaching upper range of power usage, quickly reaching the set temp, then falling again. Lather rinse repeat haha!
    Got it set and ready to take some temps! Appreciate the advice.

I believe I told Bob to provide something with power so I don't have to worry about always heating my basement

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-27-2019)

Thanks
    I think that will get you on track. Just monitor temps/fluctuations and adjust max power % and set temps as needed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (10-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Your temps in the proper range CK. I wouldn't worry about the slight fluctuation. I keep my boas with a hot spot of 84-88. Both of my boas are in tubs right now and probably wont go in a pvc enclosure for at least another year. The shelves don't negatively effect the temps in the enclosures I currently have so I definitely plan on adding shelves to their adult enclosures.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (10-29-2019),jmcrook (10-28-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I have a couple of T12's (4'x2'x2') with basking shelves in them. I use an 80w RHP in them, and that's almost overkill except during the winter when I use a space heater...are you sure you need a 100w?

I have the probes holes drilled underneath the basking shelves right under where the panel is, roughly halfway down the length of the panel. Then, I poke the probe through from the outside of the enclosure, and tape down the wire with aluminum tape on the outside. No wires inside the enclosure.

Then, using a thermometer and a temp gun I set up the thermostat so that the top right corner (where the panel is in my cages) reaches 88-90F ambients and no more than ~95F hot spot measured with the temp gun. This means I keep most of the enclosure at ambient temps, and the boas can utilize their shelves if they need extra heat. So they can stay at more comfortable temps most of the time. The top left sits around 85F+, and the bottom half of the enclosure sits at 80-85F during the summer and can drop down to 70-75F during weather transitional periods when I'm not running the space heater.

So, basically, I'm only really trying to heat the top half of the enclosure to warm temps, allowing the bottom to sit at cooler temps. Boas ime don't really like to be constantly exposed to higher temps all the time, but a 4'x2'x2' (or 15") doesn't really offer enough room to allow for a true cool end under most circumstances. So I *personally* would probably drop those temps, but part of the problem may just be the size of panel you're using. When my 80w panels are on, they heat the enclosure very strongly, and I imagine it would be even harder to control the amount of heat put out with a 100w, even in tandem with a thermostat.

With how short your enclosure is, I'd focus more on just offering a hot spot on the shelf vs raising ambients above 85F. But that's just my .02.
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 10-29-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Your temps in the proper range CK. I wouldn't worry about the slight fluctuation. I keep my boas with a hot spot of 84-88.
    Thanks Ziggy. After reducing my power output on the Herpstat to 70%, my temp ranges seem to be getting better. I’m now in the 86-88 range on a pretty consistent basis. Sometimes I see a couple degrees in a different direction but I don’t think that will pose a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    I have a couple of T12's (4'x2'x2') with basking shelves in them. I use an 80w RHP in them, and that's almost overkill except during the winter when I use a space heater...are you sure you need a 100w?

I have the probes holes drilled underneath the basking shelves right under where the panel is, roughly halfway down the length of the panel. Then, I poke the probe through from the outside of the enclosure, and tape down the wire with aluminum tape on the outside. No wires inside the enclosure.

Then, using a thermometer and a temp gun I set up the thermostat so that the top right corner (where the panel is in my cages) reaches 88-90F ambients and no more than ~95F hot spot measured with the temp gun. This means I keep most of the enclosure at ambient temps, and the boas can utilize their shelves if they need extra heat. So they can stay at more comfortable temps most of the time. The top left sits around 85F+, and the bottom half of the enclosure sits at 80-85F during the summer and can drop down to 70-75F during weather transitional periods when I'm not running the space heater.

So, basically, I'm only really trying to heat the top half of the enclosure to warm temps, allowing the bottom to sit at cooler temps. Boas ime don't really like to be constantly exposed to higher temps all the time, but a 4'x2'x2' (or 15") doesn't really offer enough room to allow for a true cool end under most circumstances. So I *personally* would probably drop those temps, but part of the problem may just be the size of panel you're using. When my 80w panels are on, they heat the enclosure very strongly, and I imagine it would be even harder to control the amount of heat put out with a 100w, even in tandem with a thermostat.

With how short your enclosure is, I'd focus more on just offering a hot spot on the shelf vs raising ambients above 85F. But that's just my .02.
    Thanks Cloud. I didn’t have much luck w/ the probes underneath the shelf even though they seemed to be placed in the same area you detail above.
    One thing that I haven’t seen after a million temp checks is a hot spot warmer on the shelf then the bottom floor. I’m usually see a 2 degree lower temp difference on the shelf vs directly underneath on the floor.

For instance:

Hot Shelf: 83-84
    Hot Floor: 85-86
    Cool Shelf: 79-80
    Cool Bottom: 79-90
    Mid Shelf: 82
    Mid Bottom: 82-83

I believe this is enough variance for my Boa to find the right area

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post: