Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,804

1 members and 2,803 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Animal Plastics T11 Too Big?

Hi all! I am about to purchase my AP enclosure and I've been set on the T10, but now a part of me is eyeing the T11 simply for 3 more inches of head room. Instead of it being 15 inches in height it's 18 inches. I am mainly considering this for my own viewing purposes and to add a little bit of height/dimension to the enclosure with branches etc. Is this going to be too big/stressful for my BP as a permanent enclosure? Should I stick with the T10?
    Follow along on Poe's adventures on instagram: @poe.the.python

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    As long as you stick to your plan of waiting til she's big enough to upgrade the added height won't hurt. Some say their BPs will climb if branches are offered, but in my experience, none of mine have ever been climbers.

The added height will require a bit more to heat the enclosure, but as long as you adjust your heating equipment accordingly it'll be fine.

Some will probably say the added height is a waste of space for a terrestrial species, but it's all in how you view it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Animal Plastics T11 Too Big?

I do not think your BP will care about the height much at all, but you might.

If you are planning on getting more animals, more tanks, and want to stack, lower height is best. Most of my tanks are 1FT high because I have 11 terrestrial or semi-arboreal tanks (1 1.5' high tank with perches for my carpet python) and 2 arboreal tanks for climbing geckos that are taller than deep. I have all the tanks stacked. 2 sides of part of a room and 3 stacks (looks like two because the arboreal tanks are next to a tall stack of terrestrial tanks). I literally would have 3 or 4 fewer animals if my tanks were taller. Having said that, not everyone needs 13 reptiles tanks each with animals in them.

The advantage of height, at least in a BP tank, is that the lower the tank in your stack or in placement, and the lower the height of the tank, the harder it is to clean. The higher the tank from the floor and the taller the tank, the easier to clean. To clean my two corn snake cages, which are 1 to 1.5 feet off the ground, (one is the former and one is the latter), both 1FT tall, and both 2FT deep (one is 4X2X1' and one is 3X2X1'), I have to kneel and lay on the floor. It's a pain. Even the tanks above them, also 2FT deep and 1FT high, are a pain. The middle and top tanks are easy comparably.

Sometimes people do not think about things like cleaning the tank, or as Craig mentioned, heating the tank, etc. It's all relevant. I knew it would be as struggle with my stacks, but wanted 13 tanks. So I get what I deserve. .

At some point in my life, I hope to have more space and I can have the same number of tanks, but an additional stack, and keep everything off the ground at a higher level. My knees can dream anyway.

EDIT: I should have said that 15" is pretty good for cleaning and heating and you probably won't care too much about 18" vs. 15". I would go with T10 for heating benefits and cost benefits.
    Last edited by dakski; 10-27-2019 at 05:03 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (10-27-2019),jmcrook (10-27-2019)

Thanks

Re: Animal Plastics T11 Too Big?

Appreciate the replies and advice! All good things said! I think I'm gonna stick with the T10 the longer I think about it and read what others have to say about it!
    Follow along on Poe's adventures on instagram: @poe.the.python

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wonderwhitters For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-27-2019)