Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,564

0 members and 2,564 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Apparently, "She" identifies as a "He"

This is somewhat a tale of woe. About 4 plus years ago I purchased a male Lesser het Ghost. It was really nice but it wasn't as nice as one of its siblings. However, the sibling was a girl and at the time I was looking for a male. Just the same, I couldn't get over how nice she was so I decided to get her too. Fast forward about a year and a half and I am breeding the male. The female is being finicky so she is not really getting up to size as fast as I'd like. I'm alright with that because I have the same genes in the brother for now. Fast forward another year and a half and the female is still hovering around 1000 grams because she keeps going off feed. In one span of time, she only took 17 meals in 72 weeks. Very frustrating because she is such a nice example and I'm excited to breed her. This year she finally starts eating for me and gets up to about 1400 grams. Not ideal, but at over 4 years of age I am going to go for it. Just to see where she may be, I ultrasound her first but cant find any follicles of any size. That's interesting. Still determined to get her into my plans, I put her in with a male. A few minutes later they are kind of tussling around but it stops pretty quickly. A couple days go by and no locks. I give her about a week or so off and put her back in with the same male. This time there is a serious problem. When I open the tub to look, the other male literally comes flying out. This is bad and can only mean one thing. I decide to place her with a female and Viola, they lock. So now I have this snake that I've invested over four years into and I really don't have a plan for him because he was supposed to be female. Further, I would have preferred to breed him over the brother had I known it was male. Just kind of bummed about the whole thing. Here is a pic of him below.

I am not naming the breeder because in their defense, I popped this snake several times when I received it and believed it to be a female too.

(Places hand to your ear and whispers) Frankly, I don't think this little fella is very well endowed. Oops, did I say little? Sorry, I don't want to body shame him.

Anyhooo, moving on to the next adventure. Thanks for letting me vent.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-26-2019),Bogertophis (10-26-2019),ladywhipple02 (10-28-2019),PghBall (10-26-2019),rufretic (10-26-2019),Sonny1318 (10-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    Lol, that's all I have to say

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (10-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Re: Apparently, "She" identifies as a "He"

Damn that sucks! I once incorrectly sexed a holdback Super Mojave as female a few years back. I had the same issue. Wasted only about 2 years of time but I did breed him to a lesser and got a nice female BEL to hold back.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PghBall For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (10-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    It happens. I've had to change names on a few snakes over the years.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-26-2019),rlditmars (10-26-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Sell the male you didn't really want, an be glad your "girl" is the male you wanted. Sometimes (if your making your living breeding all the time) it's worth paying for the blood test to sex them.

So, what did you pair the he/her with?

Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (10-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Apparently, "She" identifies as a "He"

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Sell the male you didn't really want, an be glad your "girl" is the male you wanted. Sometimes (if your making your living breeding all the time) it's worth paying for the blood test to sex them.

So, what did you pair the he/her with?

Good luck!
    I already sold the male over a year ago figuring the girl would get there sooner. I just breed for a hobby so I only do about 2 to 5 clutches a year depending on what I want to produce. I put him to a Mojave because I was just testing the hypothesis and didn't really have a plan.