Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 488

1 members and 487 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

You're never too old to swim with sea snakes

(the pictures didn't come thru so use the link just below if you want to see them)

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/snorkeling-grandmothers-venomous-snakes-scli-intl/index.html

THE MODERN EXPLORERS
    Snorkeling grandmothers reveal large deadly sea snake population in popular bay

Rory Sullivan, CNN • Updated 24th October 2019

FacebookTwitterEmail

(CNN) — Seven snorkeling grandmothers have helped scientists to uncover a large population of venomous sea snakes in a New Caledonia bay popular with residents and cruise passengers.
    "The Fantastic Grandmothers," as they call themselves, have worked with scientists from the University of New Caledonia and Macquarie University, Australia, since June 2017. All in their 60s and 70s, they are enthusiastic snorkelers who volunteered to photograph the deadly sea snakes.
    Their research showed that there was a far higher population of greater sea snakes (Hydrophis major) in the Baie Des Citrons -- a well-known swimming spot in the capital of the South Pacific archipelago -- than previously thought. The findings have been published in the Ecosphere journal.

Two of the grandmother dive to photograph the snake's tail for identification.
    Claire Goiran

In a statement released by Macquarie University, Claire Goiran, the lead researcher and scientist at the University of New Caledonia, said: "I have been studying sea snakes in the Baie des Citrons for 20 years, and thought I understood them very well - but the Fantastic Grandmothers have shown me just how wrong I was."
    She praised the grandmothers' energy, adding they "have transformed our understanding of the abundance and ecology of marine snakes in this system. It's a great pleasure and privilege to work with them."
    Related content
    Unusual snorkeling spots: Salmon and pigs are just the start

Rick Shine, a professor from Macquarie University who co-authored the paper, told CNN that the increasing involvement of members of the public in research was "one of the most exciting new developments in science.".
    Citing the special expertise of some members of the public, he added: "The Fantastic Grandmothers are a powerful example -- they have shone a bright light into the ecology of sea snakes, in a way that we could never have imagined until they came onto the scene."
    There had been only six sightings of this species in the area between 2004 and 2012. Although 45 individuals had been sighted by the end of 2016, photographs taken by the grandmothers and Goiran recorded more than 140 greater sea snakes between October 2016 and November 2018.
    Related content
    A clever African toad learns to copy a deadly snake

Scientists say this is a remarkable number of venomous snakes for a reef which is under 35 hectares in size. Since there have been no reports of humans being bitten by these snakes, Shinedescribed them as having a "benevolent disposition".
    The lethally toxic species can grow to more than 1.5 metres in length. Individuals can be easily recognized because of their unique patterns.
    According to Goiran, this project also provided more new information on the breeding patterns of the reptiles and the numbers of their young than any previous studies on a related species.

Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-25-2019 at 12:29 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (10-25-2019),Kam (10-26-2019),richardhind1972 (10-25-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: You're never too old to swim with sea snakes

That's so cool, very interesting read thanks for the share

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Fabulous !!

Years ago in Greece I was snorkelling along the coast to stay cool.. the family were walking on the beach alongside .. I must have travelled a couple of miles ( slowly ) ... anyways I came up to a really interesting rock formation with a lot of fish in and around it but then I saw some kind of sea snake .. it was around 2 to 3 foot long and striped ..

Anyways I broke the world record for 25 metres front crawl getting onto the beach ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-25-2019),richardhind1972 (10-25-2019)

Thanks

Cool article,

At least they give the snakes some credit too

"Scientists say this is a remarkable number of venomous snakes for a reef which is under 35 hectares in size. Since there have been no reports of humans being bitten by these snakes, Shinedescribed them as having a "benevolent disposition".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Fabulous !!

Years ago in Greece I was snorkelling along the coast to stay cool.. the family were walking on the beach alongside .. I must have travelled a couple of miles ( slowly ) ... anyways I came up to a really interesting rock formation with a lot of fish in and around it but then I saw some kind of sea snake .. it was around 2 to 3 foot long and striped ..

Anyways I broke the world record for 25 metres front crawl getting onto the beach

Yeah that’s scary! I have a similar type situation happen to me. I was surfing in Costa Rica and the water is pretty clear, well while I was surfing a wave I say like a 5-6 foot shark swimming in it to. I was like whatever I do I can’t fall. Lol I stayed on the beach for a few hours after that.
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    Yeah that’s scary! I have a similar type situation happen to me. I was surfing in Costa Rica and the water is pretty clear, well while I was surfing a wave I say like a 5-6 foot shark swimming in it to. I was like whatever I do I can’t fall. Lol I stayed on the beach for a few hours after that.
    Well ..... on another occasion when I was snorkelling - I was swimming out to sea and from nowhere a huge black shape came from nowhere swimming UNDER me !!

I nearly died there and then but it was only a flamin skuba diver !!

I’m sure he did that on purpose !!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (10-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Sea snakes are kinda fascinating to me...everything I've read about them prior to this has said they seem to do their best to ignore people...now if only we'd give them
    the same courtesy? Even rattlesnakes don't really want to interfere with us, but when they hold their ground (because nature didn't give them speed!) humans still react
    more negatively because they're usually rattling & seem fierce to us; I'm guessing the fact that sea snakes are "quiet" & gracefully swimming around gives them a better
    "demeanor" even though their venom is similar to cobras...

By all accounts though, you'd really have to work at it to get a bite from them, sorta like with coral snakes, just not for the same reason. (coral snakes have a small
    gape & very secretive habits) I can see where you'd still feel vulnerable though, since being in the water is their "element", not ours, & any bites that occur in remote
    areas obviously pose more risk to our health. As both a swimmer & a snake-lover, if I were ever in the water near them, I'm pretty sure I could remain nonchalant- as
    with most snakes, we're clearly not on their menu & by not seeming to approach or corner them, I like to think I'd be safe too. When we stop acting like predators we
    do so much better with wild snakes.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Kam (10-26-2019)