Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,139

0 members and 3,139 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Do snakes only bite some people?

Got a banana royal that it's soft as a brush with me and my girlfriend but as soon as he is handled by our male friend he goes to bite him. The first time he actually bit down and held on for a bit. We thought he might be a little stressed due to coming into shed and his enclosure needed more stuff in it. After we added more things and he shed, he was fine with us. We just had our friend handle him again and he started to nibble him. Now I don't know if it's cause hes a guy and he has fuzzy arms like a mouse? Sounds stupid but I just don't understand, he's eating and doing everything fine. Like I said, he's fine with my girlfriend and I so we're a little confused haha.
    Any info would be appreciated, thank you!

Thanks
    I've had a few snakes through out my days like that. Growing up I had many snakes. Most of them were ok with other people but a few would only allow me to handle them. Not sure its a thing but it seemed that way.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Does your friend have other pets at home that maybe your snake can smell on him? They have an extremely good sense of smell. But BPs often rely a lot on their
    heat-sensing pits...maybe his bigger arms are giving off more heat? (& are you one of those folks that's always cold?) Or maybe he smells "natural" while you & your
    gf use scented soaps that deter the snake? Your BP shouldn't be trying to eat ANY humans, so I dunno...? I guess he tastes better, LOL.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-20-2019 at 06:17 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Unless your snake can talk you'll never know. Could have had a sore spot that got touched. Friend could smell funny or your snake was being protective .(LOL)

Now, young snakes will bite anything till they calm down. Have anybody that will handle your snakes wash their hands an arms first. It might help or not.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Bite/hold is a food response. Does your friend own any small rodents like gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, or rabbits? Maybe chickens?

Thanks

Re: Do snakes only bite some people?

I've got a yearling bredli that will strike at my wife from across the room. It's only ever her tho. She's never took a stab at me or one of the kids when they walk by only my wife. Could be a coincidence but it's weird none the less

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-20-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punkrawkah View Post
    I've had a few snakes through out my days like that. Growing up I had many snakes. Most of them were ok with other people but a few would only allow me to handle them. Not sure its a thing but it seemed that way.
    Thank you for your reply, it must be a thing!
    Last edited by TashakawaiiSnakes; 10-20-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Does your friend have other pets at home that maybe your snake can smell on him? They have an extremely good sense of smell. But BPs often rely a lot on their
    heat-sensing pits...maybe his bigger arms are giving off more heat? (& are you one of those folks that's always cold?) Or maybe he smells "natural" while you & your
    gf use scented soaps that deter the snake? Your BP shouldn't be trying to eat ANY humans, so I dunno...? I guess he tastes better, LOL.
    Yes he must just seem tasty ><;;

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Unless your snake can talk you'll never know. Could have had a sore spot that got touched. Friend could smell funny or your snake was being protective .(LOL)

Now, young snakes will bite anything till they calm down. Have anybody that will handle your snakes wash their hands an arms first. It might help or not.

Good luck!
    Yes we're about to try this and see if it makes a difference, thank you for a reply.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Bite/hold is a food response. Does your friend own any small rodents like gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, or rabbits? Maybe chickens?
    No he does not or that would have been my first thought, only a cat which we own three of so definitely not that. Thank you for your reply!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    I've got a yearling bredli that will strike at my wife from across the room. It's only ever her tho. She's never took a stab at me or one of the kids when they walk by only my wife. Could be a coincidence but it's weird none the less
    I guess he just dislikes our friend haha we shall see! Thank you for your reply!