Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,052

0 members and 3,052 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Dwarf boa size? Photos appreciated!

Just want to thank everyone that responded to my previous post. Such helpful advice!
    Ive been lookin into dwarf boas, and tried to look at photos of what they actually look like size wise once fully grown.

I would love to see photos of your adult dwarf boas around 5-6 feet. How much does a full grown lets say 5.5 feet Sonoran boa weigh? Do they average the same weight as an adult female Ball Python that size or are the slimmer?

Once again, thanks for all the responses, hoping to find the perfect size boa for me!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Re: Dwarf boa size? Photos appreciated!

I can't offer a photo of an adult Sonoran, so please accept this photo of a youngster instead :

I've heard it said that five-foot boas should be around 4-6 pounds (1800g - 2700g) and six-foot boas around 8-11 pounds(3600g - 5000g). Males and less mature boas will gravitate towards the lower end of these scales, while females and more mature boas will gravitate towards the upper ends. Those with more boa experience should feel free to correct me here.

So, a five-and-a-half foot boa will weigh more than your average three-ish pound (1500g) female ball python, though I'm not sure how they compare to a five-foot female ball in terms of weight. Keep in mind that boas have different musculature compared to ball pythons. Boas have what's called laterally compressed muscle, so while they may be slimmer than a comparably-sized ball python, they pack in more power and density per foot. Combined with boas' stronger feeding responses and keyed-in-ness, I'd say that a boa is a bit more snake compared to a comparably-sized ball python.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-19-2019),Kam (10-20-2019),Luvyna (10-19-2019)

Thanks
    Interested in seeing all the dwarf boas as well!

Love your gorgeous girl, Wrongpython

Wow, a 6-foot long, 5kg snake would be a lot of snake for me personally. They must be feel pretty heavy to hold!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Kam (10-20-2019),WrongPython (10-19-2019)

Thanks

I also can't offer any adult pictures but this is my pair of crawl cay dwarf boas. The female (Jill) is on the right and the male (jack) is on the left. They're just over a year old and I absolutely love them!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    🤘!MM4L!🤘

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-19-2019),Kam (10-20-2019),Luvyna (10-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Not a great picture. However, this is Feliz's father at 6 years old.

Feliz is my Venezuelan Dwarf BCC/True Red Tail Boa I bought from Tommy Carpenter.

He is 2 years old now and about 400G. For reference, when Behira, my female BI was 2, she was about 950G. I got them both at 1 year old and have them on a very similar feeding schedule.

This a link to Feliz's thread.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...Dwarf-quot-BCC

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-20-2019),EmiLee (10-20-2019),Kam (10-20-2019),Luvyna (10-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 877 Posts

I have been looking at getting dwarf boas for a while, but couldn’t find a reputable breeder here or online. This thread just spoke to me. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Sorry for the bad cell phone picture but I took this to show the size comparison while I was doing my daily cleanings this afternoon. Up front is Jupiter, a male 2012 Tarahumara BI. In back is Beau, a male 2012 hypo pastel BI. Because he's in front of Beau, Jupiter actually looks bigger than he really is due to forced perception; he could live in a 34-qt tub in a rack quite comfortably.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-20-2019),Kam (10-20-2019),Luvyna (10-20-2019),WrongPython (10-20-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    I have been looking at getting dwarf boas for a while, but couldn’t find a reputable breeder here or online. This thread just spoke to me. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lot of people like Vin Russo and I can't argue with what he produces. Having said that, I ended up buying Feliz from Tommy Carpenter. He is a smaller breeder and knew his snakes really well. He spent the time to help understand what I was looking for and sold me Feliz even though he was considering holding him back for color.

In my limited experience, many dwarf/locale boa species do not have the same demeanor/attitude as their bigger BI cousins. Having said that, they can be awesome snakes.

When I wrote to Vin Russo about getting a dwarf boa and told him I already had a really chill BI, he advised against most locale boas, especially in comparison.

Try to meet in person, or talk to Tommy or Vin, etc. to make sure you know what you are getting.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Kam (10-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    Yes, join us in the dwarf boa club Kam! I think you'll enjoy your time here.

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I lot of people like Vin Russo and I can't argue with what he produces. Having said that, I ended up buying Feliz from Tommy Carpenter. He is a smaller breeder and knew his snakes really well. He spent the time to help understand what I was looking for and sold me Feliz even though he was considering holding him back for color.

In my limited experience, many dwarf/locale boa species do not have the same demeanor/attitude as their bigger BI cousins. Having said that, they can be awesome snakes.

When I wrote to Vin Russo about getting a dwarf boa and told him I already had a really chill BI, he advised against most locale boas, especially in comparison.

Try to meet in person, or talk to Tommy or Vin, etc. to make sure you know what you are getting.
    I can put in another vote for Vin and Tommy. Both of them produce nice, pure locality dwarf boas, are pretty responsive to inquiries, and very knowledgeable. I personally got my boa from Vin at a local expo; from what I've heard, this is the easiest way to get a snake from him.

A lot of the dwarf boa localities haven't been in herpetoculture and bred for tameness as long as common boas have, so some of them can be on the wilder/feistier/less tame side. When I was speaking to Vin at the expo he mentioned that blood boas (a five-foot dwarf morph originally from El Salvador) tend to be more agreeable. He also pointed out that personality ultimately comes down to the individual and didn't explicitly advise me against any localities when I asked. I wound up getting a female Sonoran and I've been over the moon with her ever since!
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Kam (10-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    Yes, join us in the dwarf boa club Kam! I think you'll enjoy your time here.

I can put in another vote for Vin and Tommy. Both of them produce nice, pure locality dwarf boas, are pretty responsive to inquiries, and very knowledgeable. I personally got my boa from Vin at a local expo; from what I've heard, this is the easiest way to get a snake from him.

A lot of the dwarf boa localities haven't been in herpetoculture and bred for tameness as long as common boas have, so some of them can be on the wilder/feistier/less tame side. When I was speaking to Vin at the expo he mentioned that blood boas (a five-foot dwarf morph originally from El Salvador) tend to be more agreeable. He also pointed out that personality ultimately comes down to the individual and didn't explicitly advise me against any localities when I asked. I wound up getting a female Sonoran and I've been over the moon with her ever since!
    Awesome. Vin produces amazing animals.

I agree that it does come down to the individual. Also, as I stated, I am biased, coming from a very chill BI. I bought Behira based completely on personality. She happened to be a Ghost and I think beautiful, but that wasn't my first choice of morph. What was important to me was temperament. I think Vin's point when I spoke with him, was that comparing a common BI to a locale BI is a tough comparison. However, locale Boas can still be awesome and personable.

In Feliz's case, being a Dwarf BCC (locale, but not BI locale) and Rio Bravo line bred for a while, and the whole line being known for calmness and being docile, he is also super chill. I guess I am spoiled? I hope not, there's probably another a BI on the way! I'll get to that later.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Kam (10-21-2019)