Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,936

3 members and 2,933 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: RHP in 4󫎾 Wood Enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    Are you measuring the ambient temp in certain areas or the surface temp of the wood? Wood doesnt absorb heat well, so it's probably better to measure ambient versus using a gun or anything.
    The way I measured it is I have the thermostat probe directly below the RHP near the substrate level. Then I had an accurite-style thermometer on the substrate towards the side without the RHP. And I used my heat gun to measure different areas. The temp ranged from 74-78. The coldest areas were inside the hides and the warmest was right next to the RHP.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: RHP in 4󫎾 Wood Enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by gunkle View Post
    To small. I use an 80w RHP in 3x2x2 wooden enclosures. Also how much ventilation you have will affect temps. When it gets cold (I keep my house at 68 in winter) I block off some of the ventilation to help out. If the surface temp of your RHP is 185 then it's working correctly and not defective your just asking too much of it.
    Ventilation is minimal. I forgot the size of the holes but they about the diameter of my pinky and I have four on each side and three on the back. Also we always keep our house above 70. Usually in the 75-78 range because it's easier to keep our 125-g saltwater fish tank heated when the house is a bit warmer. Also we live in TX and keeping the A/C saves a fortune in electric bills.

I thought the RHP might be a dud cause even stuff close to it isn't heating very much and the rest of the tank is just room temperature. It makes me wonder if an 80-watt will be enough.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12