Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,064

2 members and 3,062 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Face through hole in viv door?

We've had out female adult for just over a year. She's about 1200 grams, and just over 4' in length. I'm not certain how old she is, as she was an adult when we got her from the reptile rescue.

Nothing in her tank has changed recently, but she started a new behavior that I cannot figure out.

We have a Vivexotic 4' vivarium with two sliding glass doors. There is a small hole in one of the doors to allow you to open the doors. Next to this, we have a lock. She seems to like to lay on the part of the lock on the inside of the door (that cannot be comfortable!), and stick her snout out through the hole in the glass doors.

The temperatures are about 73-78 on the cold side, and 88-94 on the hot side. We use a ceramic heater covered in a cage. Humidity is normally around 60%, but she's often in her water bowl. She has three rock shaped hides spaced evenly through the tank. Set up is hot hide, waterbowl, medium temp hide, cold hide, and a vine to climb on that runs along the back of the tank. We use newspaper, reptile carpet, orchid bark, and moss as bedding. She's handled every few days, and doesn't seem to mind it. She has never been agressive, and doesn't typically "ball". She is quite comfortable around some one's neck, or exploring the living room (under a very vigilant watch). No issues with shedding or digestion, but she isn't a very good eater Sometimes she will go weeks or months without eating, and then eat two frozen/thawed medium rats at a time.

Could it be that she's trying to escape? That she likes to "smell" the air on the other side? That she likes the cool air on the other side? Or that her tank is terrible?

I will post a picture next time I catch her in the act

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Hello...my honest opinion: you're over thinking it. I'd just chalk it up to she likes laying that way.

And a friendly tip: when she does eat, only feed her one rat. The huge meal of two medium rats is tougher to digest and leads to further refusals.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (10-18-2019),TequilaMonster (10-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Maybe something outside her viv smells interesting.

Maybe she likes the fresher air coming in from outside; is there enough ventilation or has it been thoroughly cleaned recently?

If you open the door while she is lying like that, does she want to come out?
    Last edited by bcr229; 10-18-2019 at 09:31 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (10-18-2019),TequilaMonster (10-18-2019)

Thanks

Re: Face through hole in viv door?

Thanks