Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

0 members and 3,113 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Animal Plastics - RHP Heating w/ a Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    CK- I noticed some erratic temp swings when I had my probe in the same place yours is. Can your probe fit into the same hole as your RHP cord? I was able to squeeze mine in there. Now I have my probe hanging about an inch lower than the RHP. My temps have been very consistent this way.
    Much appreciated response Buddy! I'll try this and hopefully it will solve my issues because it's driving me crazy. I've tried lowering my Herpstat temp settings 2 degrees and the floor temps still remain in the 93-94 range.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Yes, that's correct. You can also tape the wire to the back of the enclosure to limit it's movement.
    Two thoughts.

1. Never put tape, or anything sticky in your enclosures. This can hurt your animals. If you want to secure a probe, drill another small hole or two and secure with a plastic zip tie.

2. If I can see it correctly, the probe is below the shelf? Maybe you can put it closer to the RHP and above the shelf and just adjust temp accordingly? In my boaphile tank for my carpet python, where the higher perch is further back and closer to the RHP, I keep the probe at the same height and do have to keep a closer on eye on that tank then other tanks as room temp changes. This is just a thought and I am not clear on how the shelf can impact things as I've never had one.

As I mentioned in #1, securing the probe with a zip tie might help keep it against the wall of the tank and above the shelf.

Keep us in the loop and good luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (10-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Two thoughts.

1. Never put tape, or anything sticky in your enclosures. This can hurt your animals. If you want to secure a probe, drill another small hole or two and secure with a plastic zip tie.

2. If I can see it correctly, the probe is below the shelf? Maybe you can put it closer to the RHP and above the shelf and just adjust temp accordingly? In my boaphile tank for my carpet python, where the higher perch is further back and closer to the RHP, I keep the probe at the same height and do have to keep a closer on eye on that tank then other tanks as room temp changes. This is just a thought and I am not clear on how the shelf can impact things as I've never had one.

As I mentioned in #1, securing the probe with a zip tie might help keep it against the wall of the tank and above the shelf.

Keep us in the loop and good luck.
    Thanks Dave for weighing in! Yes, I agree.....NEVER put tape inside your enclosure. I used tape on the outside (back) of my enclosure to secure the wires and it's worked well.

As per Ziggy's and your recommendation, I'm going to try and move the probe from under to above the shelf (closer to the RHP) and see if that makes a difference.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Thanks Dave for weighing in! Yes, I agree.....NEVER put tape inside your enclosure. I used tape on the outside (back) of my enclosure to secure the wires and it's worked well.

As per Ziggy's and your recommendation, I'm going to try and move the probe from under to above the shelf (closer to the RHP) and see if that makes a difference.
    Cool. I figured your meant outside, but wanted to be clear for the benefit of others reading as well.

I've had bad luck with tape and do recommend zip ties, but whatever works for you is what matters.

I think it will be much better closer to the RHP, but keep us posted.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (10-18-2019)

Thanks

*** UPDATE ***

I took the advice of some and moved my tstat probe from under the shelf to above. I was hoping to route it through the RHP power cord slot but it wouldn't fit so I managed to use the corner of the enclosure where the light source power cord exits. The probe now hangs (dangles) about an inch from the ceiling in the corner of the enclosure on the outer edge of the RHP. From the early looks of it, I feel good about the temps staying more consistent. Hoping this placement is good and doesn't need to be centered in the middle of the RHP. Any commentary would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my early readings:

Tstat Setting (81)

Hot Ledge (83-87) Middle Ledge (83) Cool Ledge (78-80)
    Hot Floor (86-89) Middle Bottom (86) Cool Bottom (79-80)

*** Two additional questions / comments **

The last 2-3 days, I've noticed my BOA on the hot side outside of his hide just coiled up which is odd for him since he usually spends all day curled up in his cool side hide. He then travels to the middle area by early evening and relaxes on the branch which is heated by the RHP. Normally I would suspect a difference in temps but I spot checked and didn't seen anything that seemed abnormal. Hopefully this is nothing to worry about.

By my watch, a shed should be coming soon even though I haven't visually noticed any signs. Should I wait to move him to his new enclosure or do you think it's ok (once I feel good about the temps).

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    This might be a thought, now I’m new to this because I need to set mine up, but Spyder robotics told me to route the prob in its own hole because other power sources can mess with the readings some how. But if you’re not having anymore issues then that’s good!

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Thanks BCR! I started my testing at 80 and here were the results of my increments:

80 Setting: Hot (85) Cool (78)
    81 Setting: Hot (86) Cool (79)
    82 Setting: Hot (87-89) Cool (80)
    82.5 Setting: Hot (93-94) Cool (80)
    82.5 Setting: Hot (89-90) Cool (80)
    82.5 Setting: Hot (90) Cool (80)

What has me scratching my head is that 1st 82.5 reading w/ the high floor readings. One thing I don't think I've seen before is my Herpstat will show 83 w/ 0% even though it's set to 82.5. Wondering if it's because the probe is positioned right below the heated shelf.
    You’re 100% correct even though the herpstat kicks off the radiant heat panel itself is still hot and warms the probe up... when minded that I turned my herpstat down to 80%, this lowered the power which lowered the degree of the radiant heat panels And fix that problem for me. Also remember an extra degree here or there is not going to matter anyways... nothing is exact not even the thermometers or thermostats... snakes are very smart when it comes to regulating themselves, my snakes even lay in between the cool and hot they find the best place to regulate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-27-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EWC88 View Post
    This might be a thought, now I’m new to this because I need to set mine up, but Spyder robotics told me to route the prob in its own hole because other power sources can mess with the readings some how. But if you’re not having anymore issues then that’s good!
    I've heard about the crossing of wires giving out odd readings but I believe it was the shelf that was causing the huge swings in temperature. Since I've moved the probe above the shelf, the temps seemed to be consistent.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    You’re 100% correct even though the herpstat kicks off the radiant heat panel itself is still hot and warms the probe up... when minded that I turned my herpstat down to 80%, this lowered the power which lowered the degree of the radiant heat panels And fix that problem for me. Also remember an extra degree here or there is not going to matter anyways... nothing is exact not even the thermometers or thermostats... snakes are very smart when it comes to regulating themselves, my snakes even lay in between the cool and hot they find the best place to regulate.

Good to hear from you Calm! It was many moons again when you helped me with my 1st RHP setup. Totally understand how temps can fluctuate but these swings were pretty big and worrisome which I really think was due to the probe placement under the shelf. My next test (if the movement of the probe did not work) was to play with the Herpstat Power as you mentioned.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Animal Plastics - RHP Heating w/ a Shelf

Good to hear from you Calm! It was many moons again when you helped me with my 1st RHP setup. Totally understand how temps can fluctuate but these swings were pretty big and worrisome which I really think was due to the probe placement under the shelf. My next test (if the movement of the probe did not work) was to play with the Herpstat Power as you mentioned.
    Yep I agree I’m sure the shelf contributed to that like you say, what I’ve done is one of my enclosures is i ran the probe wire over the top of the heat panel, now it hangs between the Glass and the panel. It’s been in that one like that for three years and hasn’t bbothered the wire at all... Have fun trying different things and see what works best for you
    Good to talk to you again I’ll be visiting the forum more after next month when I’m off for the winter

Last edited by CALM Pythons; 10-22-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (10-22-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast