Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

3 members and 2,872 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Re: Ball python hatchling just diarrhea'd all over me?

Quote Originally Posted by siwueofk View Post
    Can anyone send me pics of sausage butt? Totally serious, so I know what to look out for.
    Like I said, none of my babies have done this before.
    You want us taking photos without even "hazardous duty pay"? LOL

Listen...your snake's ventral ("tummy") side is normally fairly flat...but if you lift him up a little & see a little bulge above the vent, you know he'll soon be needing to go,
    especially with handling that stimulates & puts pressure on things. And since snakes have no social stigma about "going" in public, he has no reason to hold back...got it?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

My one hatchling is super tense, strikes easily. When I was handling him just now to try to tame him down, he peed/diarrhea'd all over me. Was that out of defense???
    Will he ever just chill out???
    You scared the crap out of him...

Literally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Looks like this! I knew someone posted a pic I just had to find it. First pic of the first post. So easy to see

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...t=Sausage+butt
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-18-2019),siwueofk (10-17-2019)

Thanks
    LOL I was about to post my Noodle and then I clicked the thread Danger Noodles linked

He no longer gets sausage butts by the way, he was constipated that time but after increasing the humidity to stay between 65-75% and switching from buying Arctic Mice rats from Petsmart to rats from a local feeder breeder he has had nice soft poops and no bloating.

Also, yes, it really is hazardous duty. Never ignore a "full" tail... a mistake I have made only too many times... select pieces of furniture in my home will never be the same...

Handling helps move things along so even if the snake isn't scared they might just pee on you if they've been moving around outside of their enclosure lol. I've been "decorated" a few times.
    Last edited by Luvyna; 10-17-2019 at 11:08 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-18-2019)

Thanks
    Do you think his personality is naturally defensive/jerk or do you think we can eventually get to that sweet calm personality?

Thanks

Do you think his personality is naturally defensive/jerk or do you think we can eventually get to that sweet calm personality?
    I've personally influenced many "defensive/jerk" snakes into reliably sweet ones...only a small percentage (very "high strung" types) stay that way, in my experience, and the odds are against you having one, especially a BP.

But first, it helps to change YOUR mindset: you adopted a snake, not a puppy or a kitten, & NOT a "domestic animal". Even c/b snakes are "wild" in the sense that they rely on their instincts that evolved in nature & over time...LOTS of time. He IS "defensive" but he is NOT a "jerk". And btw, if his stool continues to truly be watery "diarrhea"please do get him (w/ stool sample) checked by the vet...he might need treatment for parasites or something, ok? Diarrhea is not normal, but without seeing it, I cannot be sure how accurate your description is.

Many years ago I took in an unwanted (free) BCI that changed homes a number of times in her first year of life because she persisted in biting everyone repeatedly, & they were not homes without snake experience...they just lacked patience & empathy. She wasn't my first rodeo either & I named her Snookums, because it made me picture her like the "baby" she was "inside". She never bit me even once in all the years I had her: oh, she dearly wanted to, for the first maybe 2 months, until I patiently showed her she had nothing to fear from me. After that, she was reliably tame, & lived a good healthy life because of it (stress isn't good for animals either).

Her name always made me smile, & it did the same for others who met her when she was huge & theoretically scary...she was friendly with everyone, not just me. If that's your idea of a pet snake, then try to remember how your snake is feeling: his whole world changed without his consent or understanding, & his instincts didn't prepare him for an "owner", much less a giant with so many frightful moving parts.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-18-2019 at 11:18 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Annageckos (10-18-2019),Gocntry (10-18-2019),Luvyna (10-18-2019)

Thanks

A baby BP I ended up with has the name "Bitey", for good reasons when I first got her.... Going on 2 months later my 16 y.o. daughter has no issues getting her out of her tank and handling her.

yours should calm down as it get a little older and gets used to it's new surroundings, Don't give up on him they need to get used to the new surroundings.

Also I've been bit twice by 2 of the baby BP's I ended up with, never broke the skin, felt like a pinch so have no worries if he gets you once or twice
    Last edited by Gocntry; 10-18-2019 at 11:25 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-18-2019)

Thanks
    I was about to post but boger hit the nail on the head.

This guy is a member here and has a Youtube channel. He shows u how to deal with the snappy babies in some of his videos. Maybe check this out and see if it helps https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w8fVuibzE_4
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

Thanks
    That's fair, but the other 2 hatchlings I've dealt with were nervous but they weren't defensive/aggressive about it (i.e. striking), they just hid their heads or tried to slither away quickly. This guy is striking, biting, peeing/pooping on me, etc.

Actually yesterday he first peed on me then pooped lol. It wasn't diarrhea.
    Last edited by siwueofk; 10-18-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks
    Dogs aren't all the same, even of the same breed, humans aren't all the same either...so why would you think all snakes would act the same? And he cannot tell
    you how people before you have treated him, can he? or what happened on the way to your house? He has every reason to be afraid, & it takes as long as it takes
    for him to mellow out. Nearly all do, but some of that depends on their human's skill & empathy too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast