Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,088

2 members and 3,086 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Advice Needed: A Very Spicy Noodle!

Hey all!

So, we brought our first BP home yesterday. He flew from Oklahoma to Indiana. He's a juvenile. Born on 8.24.19. He's adjusting to his new environment, but understandably so has been striking at us a lot, and very scared. I came home from work at lunch today to check temperatures & humidity to ensure everything was running smoothly and he was very upset to see me. Lashed at the glass a few times and even shook his tail at me. I'm not upset about this, as I know life is scary when you are a baby noodle, and I am sure the travel, stress, being in a new environment, and suddenly being around new people is VERY overwhelming. I will happily be patient as long as need be for him to warm up to us.

Mostly, I wanted to know what tips & tricks you've used, and what's worked best to get a new BP to warm up to you. I know this "aggressive" behavior will not last. I just want to do whatever I can to ensure he is not stressed & happy ASAP for his own sake.

Thanks in advance for any tips & tricks you can offer! It's greatly appreciated. ♥
    Follow along on Poe's adventures on instagram: @poe.the.python

Thanks

Re: Advice Needed: A Very Spicy Noodle!

Mostly give him time. Let him settle in. Don't really try to handle until he has eaten a meal or two. Some people say more. I think it depends on the snake. Onc he gets used to his new home and has a full belly he should calm down.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Not "aggression"...it's called "self defense". All snakes are not the same, so no way to predict how long it will take for yours to settle in...just be patient, &
    for now, give him space.

If you don't already know this: it's best NOT to handle any new snake (any age) until it has fed easily for you at least 3 times in a row, and after that, don't be
    surprised if he goes into a shed cycle either, lol...& during that they also want to lay low. Just remember, stress (fear) in a snake kills their appetite, & eating
    is "job #1" to support their immune system & allow them to grow into healthy adult snakes.

Avoid removing a snake from their hide (or the hide from over a snake)...be patient, his entire world just changed & he has no idea why...& remember that anything
    that picks up a snake in the wild is normally a predator about to eat them! Even though captive bred, snakes are "wild" animals that rely on their instincts.
    This is also why we strongly suggest having the enclosure set up & pre-tested before bringing home a pet snake so they can settle in...if only everyone did that, lol.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (10-17-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I agree, just give him some time. Let him settle in and I'm sure you'll see him mellow out in no time. Once he's got a few meals in him start handling a few times a week.

Thanks

Re: Advice Needed: A Very Spicy Noodle!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    This is also why we strongly suggest having the enclosure set up & pre-tested before bringing home a pet snake so they can settle in...if only everyone did that, lol.
    I so wish more people did this. We had everything set up and running prior to his arrival thankfully! Have had a few little temp hiccups, but working those out as quickly as possible.
    Follow along on Poe's adventures on instagram: @poe.the.python

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wonderwhitters For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-17-2019),Craiga 01453 (10-17-2019)