Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,108

1 members and 3,107 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Threaded View

Thanks

Re: Ventilation holes

I think the size and number of holes depends a lot on what size the tub is, as well as the humidity level where you live. I have a 32 gallon Sterilite tub for my juvenile BP and it has 12 holes on each long side and 6 on each short side. Each hole is about 0.4" across. This always keeps the humidity in the 60% range.

I personally prefer drilling over soldering but that's probably because I have the right tools to do so. A drill will definitely be more expensive than a $10 soldering iron but it never hurts to have one around. I like drilling more because it gives really clean holes that don't have any jagged edges like holes made by soldering irons do, and you can avoid the toxic fumes that are created from burning plastic.

Cracks in the plastic from drilling are caused by drilling incorrectly. First what you need to do is mark off where you want the holes to go in a zig-zag pattern like this:

Then you need to get a thick and flat block of wood (preferably at least 1 foot across). It needs to be thick enough that you can't drill through it by accident. Put the tub down on its side over the wood so that one of the places you marked to drill is over the center of the wood. Then you need to drill from the inside of the tub into the wood. Remember to hold down the drill button so that the drill head is moving when you pull it back out.

I hope this makes sense!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Sophieg (10-18-2019)