Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 311

6 members and 305 guests
Most users ever online was 5,577, 11-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

Caspian163 (34)

» Stats

Members: 66,168
Threads: 240,939
Posts: 2,502,705
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, chelytoad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    Registered User Luvyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-06-2019
    Posts
    441
    Thanks
    582
    Thanked 368 Times in 233 Posts

    Re: Ventilation holes

    I think the size and number of holes depends a lot on what size the tub is, as well as the humidity level where you live. I have a 32 gallon Sterilite tub for my juvenile BP and it has 12 holes on each long side and 6 on each short side. Each hole is about 0.4" across. This always keeps the humidity in the 60% range.

    I personally prefer drilling over soldering but that's probably because I have the right tools to do so. A drill will definitely be more expensive than a $10 soldering iron but it never hurts to have one around. I like drilling more because it gives really clean holes that don't have any jagged edges like holes made by soldering irons do, and you can avoid the toxic fumes that are created from burning plastic.

    Cracks in the plastic from drilling are caused by drilling incorrectly. First what you need to do is mark off where you want the holes to go in a zig-zag pattern like this:



    Then you need to get a thick and flat block of wood (preferably at least 1 foot across). It needs to be thick enough that you can't drill through it by accident. Put the tub down on its side over the wood so that one of the places you marked to drill is over the center of the wood. Then you need to drill from the inside of the tub into the wood. Remember to hold down the drill button so that the drill head is moving when you pull it back out.

    I hope this makes sense!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

    Sophieg (10-18-2019)

  3. #12
    Registered User Danger noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-16-2018
    Posts
    696
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 495 Times in 322 Posts

    Re: Ventilation holes

    Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    I think the size and number of holes depends a lot on what size the tub is, as well as the humidity level where you live. I have a 32 gallon Sterilite tub for my juvenile BP and it has 12 holes on each long side and 6 on each short side. Each hole is about 0.4" across. This always keeps the humidity in the 60% range.

    I personally prefer drilling over soldering but that's probably because I have the right tools to do so. A drill will definitely be more expensive than a $10 soldering iron but it never hurts to have one around. I like drilling more because it gives really clean holes that don't have any jagged edges like holes made by soldering irons do, and you can avoid the toxic fumes that are created from burning plastic.

    Cracks in the plastic from drilling are caused by drilling incorrectly. First what you need to do is mark off where you want the holes to go in a zig-zag pattern like this:



    Then you need to get a thick and flat block of wood (preferably at least 1 foot across). It needs to be thick enough that you can't drill through it by accident. Put the tub down on its side over the wood so that one of the places you marked to drill is over the center of the wood. Then you need to drill from the inside of the tub into the wood. Remember to hold down the drill button so that the drill head is moving when you pull it back out.

    I hope this makes sense!
    Yes this makes sense and is good advice. If u do melt holes of any kind I suggest going outside so the fumes donít effect anything
    Iím just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

    Sophieg (10-18-2019)

  5. #13
    BPnet Veteran
    Join Date
    05-23-2015
    Location
    South Carolina, US
    Posts
    287
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 152 Times in 106 Posts
    Images: 7

    Re: Ventilation holes

    Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post

    Cracks in the plastic from drilling are caused by drilling incorrectly. First what you need to do is mark off where you want the holes to go in a zig-zag pattern like this:
    Then you need to get a thick and flat block of wood (preferably at least 1 foot across). It needs to be thick enough that you can't drill through it by accident. Put the tub down on its side over the wood so that one of the places you marked to drill is over the center of the wood. Then you need to drill from the inside of the tub into the wood. Remember to hold down the drill button so that the drill head is moving when you pull it back out.
    I hope this makes sense!
    I drilled mine and like you say even reaming the drill bit back and forth once in the whole helped make the holes smoother so I had less sanding to do on the edges.
    It's been a while since i did it (and the empty tub is sitting behind me with snake supplies in it) but I found if you push into the plastic with the drill running it helped, if you put it on the plastic and then start it will move around (unless you made some nail holes maybe). But I would hold the drill with 2 hands and get an adult to help stabilize the tub or maybe get inside it with your knees to hold it from moving around. Then run the drill and hit the plastic. But be careful above all.

    And I did Bogertophis suggestion with the nail, but boy did it hurt when I held the nail. ( Just kidding ) I held the nail with a pliers, it actually worked pretty well if I remember right. I put scotch tape on some of the holes with the edges folded over for easy removal.
    Last edited by ballpythonsrock2; 10-18-2019 at 12:54 PM.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (10-18-2019),Sophieg (10-18-2019)

  7. #14
    BPnet Veteran
    Join Date
    05-23-2015
    Location
    South Carolina, US
    Posts
    287
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 152 Times in 106 Posts
    Images: 7

    Re: Ventilation holes

    Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    I put scotch tape on some of the holes with the edges folded over for easy removal.
    Put a pic in my gallery of my old tub.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

    Sophieg (10-18-2019)

  9. #15
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,979
    Thanks
    13,665
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 5,085 Posts

    Re: Ventilation holes

    Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    ...And I did Bogertophis suggestion with the nail, but boy did it hurt when I held the nail. ( Just kidding ) I held the nail with a pliers, it actually worked pretty well if I remember right. I put scotch tape on some of the holes with the edges folded over for easy removal.
    I really didn't think anyone would try to hold a hot nail in their hands, but I'm glad you cleared that up.

    Just wanted to add that when I melted holes in plastic, they were smooth, not rough as someone posted? I dunno what we did differently?

    For best airflow in containers like this, remember that warm air rises & cooler (fresh) air is lower, so if you want better cross-ventilation you can make holes on one side that are lower than on the other side, where the air will rise up & out. And IMO it's easier to make a few more holes than you think you need than to have to come back again, & you can easily cover them (on the outside only) with a bit of tape, as also suggested above.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-18-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    Many friends in low places...

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    ballpythonsrock2 (10-18-2019),Sophieg (10-18-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1