Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,892

2 members and 1,890 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Is there any kind of light that snakes cant see???

I want to stare at my snakes. I'm never awake at 3 am though. Stupid work!!! Are you like me and a bit weird like that? Do you suffer from I want to stare at my snake all the time complex? Do you need a snakiotomy? Then someone please invent the hide light!!! I would be happy just being able to appear through the little hole but since there is no light i'm just staring in the dark. How bad do you suffer from I want to star at my snake all the time complex? How much longer do we all have to suffer...

If there is such a thing can someone direct me that way please

On a side note, day time ball pythons would be a project i'm willing to buy into...

Thanks

Re: Is there any kind of light that snakes cant see???

Lol I guess you could install a night vision camera and watch the video.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I'm pretty sure they can see black or red incandescent bulbs, but I've used them for years as "night lights" (extra over-head warmth) & if my snakes are at all
    stressed about it, I truly can't tell. I'll add that I use lamp dimmers (rheostats) on them, so it's not bright light & they're never full-on. I don't currently keep BPs,
    in case that makes any difference to you; I keep mostly rat snakes these days, also a rosy boa & an Australian spotted python (< she basks the most of all...she
    spends most of the over-nights on her driftwood & under her black light), but my Florida & Trans Pecos rat snakes enjoy these lights too. (just not corn snakes,
    they like to be cooler, in my experience)

Incidentally, for nocturnal snakes there's also moon light in the natural world...so? I know this question has been kicked around for years, not sure it was ever
    settled though, & none of my snakes are talking, one way or the other...

And no, I don't stay up all night to watch my snakes: though I do enjoy watching them, after you've kept as many as I have for as many years, some of this wears
    off, lol.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    I used a red light for awhile, but it just seemed to bright for me. And I definitely wouldn't put a light into the hide.

But I have a camera setup so I can watch them at night or whenever.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MG...b_b_asin_title
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Re: Is there any kind of light that snakes cant see???

I don't know if permanently keeping an infrared camera in the enclosure (and especially in the hide, which is the snake's safe place) would be a good idea, but if you really wanted to observe for a bit to see what happens, maybe you could set up something like what this person did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeRJXXa3OHk

The person who made the video responded to the first comment with an explanation of how he set it up.

I have to admit I've always wondered what my BP does all day and night as well, especially at night. I can occasionally hear him moving around or knocking over stuff in his enclosure after I turn off the lights but by then I'm trying to sleep and can't be bothered to check what's going on unless I hear something worrying.

All in all it's unlikely you'd see anything too thrilling, maybe you'd catch your BP drinking water, changing hides, climbing, or cruising. Being snake keepers though even seeing those things can be exciting