Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,834

5 members and 2,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

How often should i feed my rainbow boa?

I currently have a rainbow boa that 1yr and 4 months old, she is 160 grams and i currently feed her rat fuzzies (i am currently trying to find rat fuzzies that are closer to 16 grams, last feeding she got fed a 25 gram one). Should i continue feeding once a week or proceed to feed once every 10 days?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think you may be under feeding her. But small meals can be given more often. At one year my rainbow was eating mice or ASF. On the 25 gram fuzzie, how big an long did the bump last?

I feed every seven days till the boa hits 250 ish. Then it's every ten days. Now, I have been told I'm wrong an should only feed every ten days after the first five meals. Something about power feeding is bad for the boa. Young snakes need to eat so it's seven days for me.

Can you post a picture of the snake with a dollar in the pic? So we can tell the size she is.

Good luck!
    Last edited by 303_enfield; 10-16-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    BRB's run cooler than BI's or pythons so they digest more slowly. Once mine hit a year old I push them out to 10-14 days between meals depending on the size of it. I would definitely have waited two weeks if a 160 gram BRB ate a 25 gram feeder.

At least BRB's are voracious and don't get stuck on one type of feeder, so you can feed mice, rats, chicks, etc. of appropriate size.

Thanks

Re: How often should i feed my rainbow boa?

Usually for me the bump lasts 2 days. I know scoop is somewhat under the weight of what she should be and I'm trying to get her to atleast 200 grams for now. I'll get a picture as soon as possible.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: How often should i feed my rainbow boa?

25 gr is a rat pup (by weight). A two day bump is about right. Not seeing the pictures yet, I would feed rat pups or small-med mice. As for feeding 7 or 10 days, larger meal would be more time but I like 7 days till the snake is 250 gr. If the bump last more then two days make the next meal on day 10. If the snake refuses a meal (at 7 ) wait three days an try again. If the meal is refused at ten, wait seven days or more. He'll eat if hungry (yes, I'm mean).

Your coming on Winter so growing an weight gain maybe slowed. As long as it's not losing weight your fine. As I posted above, smaller meals means offer more often. Like when you mess up an order 30 rodents the wrong size (small). The bad about feeding every five days is no or little handling time.

Waiting for pics.

Good luck!