Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,878

1 members and 2,877 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Trying to feed a new young ball python

My newest ball python has been with me for two weeks now. He is about a month and half and was eating live rat. We had a successful feeding with a ft mouse last week but today he doesn’t seem to want it. Last time he was in his hide and I offered it from Tongs so I wonder if he just didn’t notice that it was a ft and not live. However today he was out and definitely saw that it was a ft and he didn’t take it. He returned to his hide so I reordered but still no strike. Ambient is 77F and heating pad is regulated to 90F but from his side is on avg 75-80 and I haven’t changed anything about his set up so not hungry can be an option.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is about a month and half
    so not hungry can be an option.
    Hardly at t hat age they are VORACIOUS, if he was eating live rats the f/t mouse could be a fluke and he has no interest in doing this again for now (I don't consider any animal switch unless they have 5 successful consecutive meals)

How is your setup, size, hide size, how often do you handle etc.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Trying to feed a new young ball python

He is in a 10 Gallon with sticks (2 of which he can crawl through) and leaf coverage. There are two hides, one is snug (on the warm side) and the other is small but larger than the other (cool side). He uses them both throughout the day/night. I don’t really handle him much since he is still settling I think. He didn’t come out for any handling the first 7 days. If he comes out not it’s never more than 10-15 minutes and I just sit with him on a blanket. He stared and smelled at the mouse intensely (I retired after an hour) and he seemed highly interested, especially when I made it wiggle. But just didn’t take.

Thanks

*also coconut fiber/paper towel for substrate. Some orchid moss. His humidity is 50 on avg

Thanks

Try using the the hairdryer method to make the mouse hot like 98 degrees then present it immediately. It may not have been warm enough for him to realize it was food.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snakemom85 For This Useful Post:

RoyalNoodles (10-17-2019),Zincubus (10-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Trying to feed a new young ball python

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalNoodles View Post
    My newest ball python has been with me for two weeks now. He is about a month and half and was eating live rat. We had a successful feeding with a ft mouse last week but today he doesn’t seem to want it. Last time he was in his hide and I offered it from Tongs so I wonder if he just didn’t notice that it was a ft and not live. However today he was out and definitely saw that it was a ft and he didn’t take it. He returned to his hide so I reordered but still no strike. Ambient is 77F and heating pad is regulated to 90F but from his side is on avg 75-80 and I haven’t changed anything about his set up so not hungry can be an option.
    My Royals will only strike feed from within their hides so I feed in evenings and wait until they are settled under a hide then warm the thawed mouse with hairdryer and dangle in front of the hide entrance INSTANTLY whilst it’s still warm .. if there’s the slightest interest just reheat and offer again .. keep repeating until it grabs it .

If I offer mine when they’re slithering around they just sniff it and RUN off !

Generally speaking Royals need to feel secure to eat .. .. but like me

Oh and best leave the handling until he’s settled in properly and had a few feeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 10-16-2019 at 06:49 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

RoyalNoodles (10-17-2019)

Thanks

I didn’t attempt to feed him yesterday as I wanted to make sure he had completely calmed down (since our last feed attempt went so poorly). I made sure to offer it at night and I made sure it was warm. I allowed it to thaw out mostly on its own then put it on some warm water. Gave it a pat dry then turned his light out and dangled it in front of his hide. It took Less than 10 seconds for him to grab it! I am so happy (:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RoyalNoodles For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Lovely !!!

Evening feeds in dim light , dangle a warm rodent in the entrance to their hide is great for any nervous eaters .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    This is what I would do if he was mine. If he was eating rats I'd stick with rats, not mice. I always switch over to rats ASAP. Unless you plan on feeding mice forever it is easier to start with rats while young than to try to switch later. Cover the sides and back of his tank, it will help him feel more secure. Don't handle at all until he is feeding consistently. Feed in the evening. I feed around 8 or 9pm, since doing this they eat much more consistently, I've also switched to tubs and they seem to eat better since doing this. I think they just feel more secure and it is easier to maintain temp and humidity in the tubs. Heat the rodents up with a hairdryer. If he doesn't strike leave the rodent in overnight. Some snakes will eat overnight if you leave it in there, some won't.