Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,082

0 members and 3,082 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    I was trying not to disturb him for a while but he was still doing the same thing. He spazzes the hide around so it's not usable, he'll roam around in the crooked hide, you can see him from every side because it ends up angled. He did this for an hour before I ended up taking him out and necking him, fixing the hide and putting him back, no matter how many times I do this he spazzes once he goes in the hide again, I switched the bed inside to see if that was the issue but same thing. I got another video, once he saw me he zoomed right towards me, then tried the hide again by zooming right in really fast and did his little spazzing thing again. I just feel so bad for my poor little guy as I don't know what to do to help him and it's painful watching him like this not knowing what's going on.

Here's the new video:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Is he ONLY "spazzing" when he goes in the hide? or does he do the same when you touch or handle him?

His movements look normal when he's cruising or drinking...maybe he's unhappy with the hide now? Try something else??? Like maybe a dark pillowcase he could
    snuggle into without much restraint?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (10-15-2019)

Thanks

Re: Ball python spazzing out during the day

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Is he ONLY "spazzing" when he goes in the hide? or does he do the same when you touch or handle him?

His movements look normal when he's cruising or drinking...maybe he's unhappy with the hide now? Try something else??? Like maybe a dark pillowcase he could
    snuggle into without much restraint?
    It's mostly when he goes in the hide and a few times when I pick him up but once he's on me he's okay, I tried putting him in his room again just now and he actually went in his hide, different style but he has that same one in his main enclosure. He was spazzing over that one earlier though so I don't think it's the hide itself as 2 completely different kinds made him spaz. I'm just happy he finally went in a hide and looks like he's gonna sleep, I will hang out with him in his room and keep an eye on him. He was also spazzing on his way out of the hides too if that makes a difference.

Thanks

You're absolutely sure there's been no spikes in heat? Thermostat(s) still working correctly and/or room temps haven't spiked? Did you change your food resource anytime recently? Did you use PAM recently?

In the first video, it appears to be neuro-based for sure... development of these symptoms are typically associated with poisoning (insecticides, etc) or over-heating.

Have you handled and/or been around anyone's boas recently? IBD is rare, but just ruling that out with the question.

At the end of the day, if you're worried, you need to go to a vet. I know it's 3.5 hours away, but your anxiety and worry are only going to get worse until you KNOW something - and no one can tell you anything except a vet.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-15-2019),Sonny1318 (10-15-2019),Valyndris (10-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    You're absolutely sure there's been no spikes in heat? Thermostat(s) still working correctly and/or room temps haven't spiked? Did you change your food resource anytime recently? Did you use PAM recently?

In the first video, it appears to be neuro-based for sure... development of these symptoms are typically associated with poisoning (insecticides, etc) or over-heating.

Have you handled and/or been around anyone's boas recently? IBD is rare, but just ruling that out with the question.

At the end of the day, if you're worried, you need to go to a vet. I know it's 3.5 hours away, but your anxiety and worry are only going to get worse until you KNOW something - and no one can tell you anything except a vet.
    I checked with a temperature gun and temps are fine. I went back to the rats he was getting before but he's not eating anyway. Room temps are the same. I have used pam (the baking oil) if that's what you meant recently like maybe 4 days ago. I have not handled any other snakes or even pets other than my macaw.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    I checked with a temperature gun and temps are fine. I went back to the rats he was getting before but he's not eating anyway. Room temps are the same. I have used pam (the baking oil) if that's what you meant recently like maybe 4 days ago. I have not handled any other snakes or even pets other than my macaw.
    PAM = Provent-a-mite

It's a mite medicine.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (10-15-2019),Valyndris (10-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    PAM = Provent-a-mite

It's a mite medicine.
    Nope have not used that.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Watched both videos. The zooming into hide and spazzing on side to *me* and my b/f look like a terrified snake. You've got stuff in the hide (I assume to make it snugger) and he's pushing like crazy against it and the hide making it flop. I personally don't see a neuro issue here, I see a terrified snake (I COULD BE WRONG!). I've seen the zoom, going half stiff, when trying to escape which is what I am basing my opinion on plus his otherwise normal movements in the rest of the video.

I know you said the bird isn't a big deal, but I really think it is. You should block any visual access they have to each other. I've seen snakes terrified of a moving ceiling fan before. Birds are natural predators of reptiles.
    It's at least worth a shot to see if it helps improve the situation if you aren't going to the vet yet. Vet visit would be good to help try to rule out a neuro isssue... just giving my and my b/f's feedback based on what we see in both videos.
    For the Horde!

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Annageckos (10-16-2019),Bogertophis (10-15-2019),ckuhn003 (10-15-2019),Craiga 01453 (10-15-2019),dr del (10-15-2019),MissterDog (10-15-2019),Sonny1318 (10-15-2019),Valyndris (10-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Watched both videos. The zooming into hide and spazzing on side to *me* and my b/f look like a terrified snake. You've got stuff in the hide (I assume to make it snugger) and he's pushing like crazy against it and the hide making it flop. I personally don't see a neuro issue here, I see a terrified snake (I COULD BE WRONG!). I've seen the zoom, going half stiff, when trying to escape which is what I am basing my opinion on plus his otherwise normal movements in the rest of the video.
    As a relative noob here take what I think with an open mind, But I'm with the above... at about 1:25 into the 2nd video I see a little bed or something under the hide.

Anything get on it? Any thing sticking out of it? Maybe Crowley just doesn't like the feel of it anymore? Have you tried throwing some Aspen or another substrate under the hide? Something Crowley can kind of burrow in?

Might not make any difference, but again it might.

Good Luck, and I've got my fingers crossed it's just something simple.
    Last edited by Gocntry; 10-15-2019 at 03:48 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

dr del (10-15-2019),Valyndris (10-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post

I know you said the bird isn't a big deal, but I really think it is. You should block any visual access they have to each other. I've seen snakes terrified of a moving ceiling fan before. Birds are natural predators of reptiles.
    It's at least worth a shot to see if it helps improve the situation if you aren't going to the vet yet. Vet visit would be good to help try to rule out a neuro isssue... just giving my and my b/f's feedback based on what we see in both videos.
    If this continues I will definitely just move Crowley's enclosure to his room, it's weird that he'd suddenly be scared of my parrot, he usually looks at him like he wants to eat him when he comes out early.

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    As a relative noob here take what I think with an open mind, But I'm with the above... at about 1:25 into the 2nd video I see a little bed or something under the hide.

Anything get on it? Any thing sticking out of it? Maybe Crowley just doesn't like the feel of it anymore? Have you tried throwing some Aspen or another substrate under the hide? Something Crowley can kind of burrow in?

Might not make any difference, but again it might.

Good Luck, and I've got my fingers crossed it's just something simple.
    He has nothing on the bed, I even tried switching it out. I haven't tried substrate yet. Thing is, he was spazzing in a different hide too which was different material and had no bed, same carpet he's had all his life.

Also, would like to add he only hissed lightly (from what I heard) when he was in his room the first time I tried to get him to sleep in there. As of almost 2 hours ago he's been sleeping in his hide the his old enclosure in the room. I put a little water bowl in there with him and let him sleep, I stayed and watched him for a bit and check in on him once in a while and he's still sleeping. He's in his enclosure so I can just close and lock it when I'm not in there.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast