Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,975

0 members and 2,975 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Stacked AP Setup: Stability Advice

Hey there...

Looking for some advice on how to increase stability on the custom stand I had built for my enclosures. The stand sits on top of carpet so it wobbles a little when I enter the cage. I ‘assume’ it’s strong enough to hold the two enclosures but it’s just something that bothers me because the water dish will shake when I’m trying to maneuver around the cage. Anyone else experience this and have advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

Re: Stacked AP Setup: Stability Advice

Here’s a picture of my setup. Please disregard the mess since it was just put together tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    First, you need a stable stand. If the stand moves you already lost. AP's are sold when pinned an on a solid base.

Ways to help the base be solid:

Sheet of 3/4" ply or OSB for the base to sit on.
    Must be level!
    Shim the legs to level the base.
    Use the pins that come with your AP cages.
    Sometimes you have to look at the floor joist. You may have to block them or support them.

Most important the base support the entire AP cage. You shouldn't have any overhang. Again ply or OSB can be use to prevent this.

This coming from the guy that had to use screw jacks to stop the snake room from bouncing (125 year old farm house).

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    My setup is similar, two T8s on a wire restaurant style shelving unit with big casters. On carpet it’s just gonna wobble a bit. It’s not bad but does get a little annoying when cleaning cages and listening to the doors one one cage or the other clunking in the tracks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    My setup is similar, two T8s on a wire restaurant style shelving unit with big casters. On carpet it’s just gonna wobble a bit. It’s not bad but does get a little annoying when cleaning cages and listening to the doors one one cage or the other clunking in the tracks
    This sounds exactly what I'm experiencing. It's rather annoying. And to the previous poster, I believe it's moreso the carpet making it wobble. There's no overhang from the two AP cages and I used the included pins. If there was a nice stand on the market that was available, I would definitely look into it. I had to have this one custom made because I couldn't find anything w/ these size requirements.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

The carpet and padding under it are most likely your biggest issue but I would still remove the cages for a bit and shim the legs as your floor is most likely not super level and no matter how good a carpenter is there is always variances in leg cuts. Level is very important. I bet you will notice a bit of an improvement if you do this. A pack of wooden shims at home Depot is really cheap maybe a couple bucks. I have 2 custom built wooden enclosures on a modified entertainment stand on very unlevel floor with carpet. A lot of shimming and leveling and it is rock solid now. I literally have a hump in the floor from an addition a long time ago that was done poorly.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunkle View Post
    The carpet and padding under it are most likely your biggest issue but I would still remove the cages for a bit and shim the legs as your floor is most likely not super level and no matter how good a carpenter is there is always variances in leg cuts. Level is very important. I bet you will notice a bit of an improvement if you do this. A pack of wooden shims at home Depot is really cheap maybe a couple bucks. I have 2 custom built wooden enclosures on a modified entertainment stand on very unlevel floor with carpet. A lot of shimming and leveling and it is rock solid now. I literally have a hump in the floor from an addition a long time ago that was done poorly.
    That's an idea that I'll try. The carpet and padding are on top of a concrete basement floor so I wouldn't think there would be too much leveling needed but I guess it's worth taking a look at.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,489 Times in 2,686 Posts

My AP stack vibrates/rattles a little when I'm cleaning them or even moving too close around them. I don't even use the pins. It's just a slight inconvenience that I deal with.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (10-15-2019),Reinz (10-15-2019)