Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,947

1 members and 2,946 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Forgot to add: if he has not shed yet, don't bathe him. Let him be. Just follow the first part I wrote about making sure the humidity is high, etc.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Luraelyn (10-14-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Off-topic but just out of curiosity, how was your experience buying from Mike Wilbanks? He ships his snakes the day after it eats? Is he responsive when you have questions?

Thanks

Re: New BP owner paranoid with shedding

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Off-topic but just out of curiosity, how was your experience buying from Mike Wilbanks? He ships his snakes the day after it eats? Is he responsive when you have questions?

The employee who I spoke to was very informative and helpful regarding my questions! She wasn't shipped, I actually live in Oklahoma so I was able to just drive by and pick her up with no worries about shipping and handling. I picked her up 24 hours after she had eaten, which is what they recommended me to do because I had purchased her online the day before feeding.

Earlier I was successful in getting all of the stuck shed off besides the area around her head. I tried to gently run a damp washcloth along the eyecap and she was NOT having it, so I decided I would raise the humidity up to 70% like you said and possibly try again tomorrow.

Tonight is usually her feeding night, I'm assuming I have put her through enough today to feed her. Should I feed her tomorrow, or make sure the stuck shed is all the way off first? I'm considering trying the damp pillowcase trick tomorrow, I've heard of people having good success with it, and I'm sure she would rather be rubbing it off on her own rather than me rubbing stuff on her head over and over.

Edit: I forgot to mention, that yes I did get the shed off her tail tip!
    Last edited by Luraelyn; 10-14-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Thanks

My BP shed recently and he got all his shed off but on his head. I soaked him one night in shallow water for about 15ins then tried using a damp rag on him but had little success getting it off. The next day it looked aweful with little bits of skin sticking out all over his head. So I soaked him again for longer like 30inites or more. Then I used a towel over his body to help hold him still a bit and used a damp paper towel to gently rub all the shed off his face. He didn't like it much but after a few seconds or so he basically just let me do it. Using the towel over his body and gently holding him still helped. Hopefully, I can avoid this happening again. It does stress them out a bit but they will feel much better with that shed off. I don't guess it stressed him out too bad as he has always eaten like a champ.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snakemom85 For This Useful Post:

Luraelyn (10-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Sooooo I randomly spray all the vivs but when they go into shed I then spray each day ..... and then when the eyes clear up and they get their colour back I start spraying well two or three times daily -then they shed perfectly.

If there’s any stubborn skin still on it just get a very damp , rough textured towel and wrap the snake up in it and then let it slither around inside the towel ...any loose bits come off easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Well, it's been a couple days and I'm still struggling to get the stuck shed off her head. The last time I soaked her was yesterday, and I've given her a day to chill out before I did anything more. I upped the humidity to 65-70%, and she's actually managed to rub little bits off of what's left. It also is appearing to separate more from her actual skin, so from my perspective, she will soon get it off herself. If it goes much longer though, I may just have to bite the bullet and pay a vet bill to have a veterinarian get it off her eyes, which are the part I'm most concerned about. Thank you all for the suggestions! We are certainly doing better than where we started.

Thanks

Any retained , stubborn skin can be easily sorted .. get a very damp , rough textured towel and wrap the snake up in it - let the snake slither around as long as possible.. when it’s head pops out just cover it up again with the excess towel ..as it’s slithering around you should apply very gentle pressure to the head region and after a while the skin will just come off nice and gently ON the towel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Any retained , stubborn skin can be easily sorted .. get a very damp , rough textured towel and wrap the snake up in it - let the snake slither around as long as possible.. when it’s head pops out just cover it up again with the excess towel ..as it’s slithering around you should apply very gentle pressure to the head region and after a while the skin will just come off nice and gently ON the towel

Well, I guess I'll try again. The last time I soaked her she was extremely head shy, to the point of me being unable to really touch her head with a towel. I'll try wrapping her up this time. At this point though, I get a little more nervous every time I soak her, because I really hate to think that I'm stressing her out. I think this will be the 4th time. I don't know why the head is so ridiculously stuck! Wish me luck!

Edit: To clarify, this is the 4th attempt trying to get this shed off, not the 4th soak. After the 1st 20 minute soak majority of the shed came off, and the second soak took care of her tail tip. The third time I tried the damp pillowcase trick for about 30 minutes, which didn't work at all. This is my 4th time soaking her.
    Last edited by Luraelyn; 10-18-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luraelyn View Post
    Well, I guess I'll try again. The last time I soaked her she was extremely head shy, to the point of me being unable to really touch her head with a towel. I'll try wrapping her up this time. At this point though, I get a little more nervous every time I soak her, because I really hate to think that I'm stressing her out. I think this will be the 4th time. I don't know why the head is so ridiculously stuck! Wish me luck!

Edit: To clarify, this is the 4th attempt trying to get this shed off, not the 4th soak. After the 1st 20 minute soak majority of the shed came off, and the second soak took care of her tail tip. The third time I tried the damp pillowcase trick for about 30 minutes, which didn't work at all. This is my 4th time soaking her.
    Well the towel method works great ..

Has to be a rather damp ( not cold ) rough textured towel .. wrap the snake up well and apply very , very gentle pressure to the snake as it slithers around .. if it’s head pops out just cover it again with the excess towel ..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Luraelyn (10-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Snake's heads have a lot of different sized scales, some very small, & many snakes don't enjoy rubbing their faces on things either. Maybe those are some of the
    reasons their sheds stick more on "top"? Or maybe they just like to dare us to get near their teeth to help...? But even though our help initially stresses them
    (just feels all wrong), I've never had a snake bite me for persisting, & many seem to not only get that it's helping but also are relieved when rid of the stuck shed.
    As I've said before, I've found that waiting generally makes the shed even harder to get off.

Some have posted that soaking snakes makes the process worse because it dries out their skin oils. I will say that I'm "on the fence" about this because most of the
    time, a soak has helped in my experiences, but a few times, it appeared not to. It may depend on individual snakes, having good digestion so that the fats in their
    diet are properly utilized. I say this because I once HAD a snake that had poor digestion (trouble digesting fats): this was obvious, he failed to gain weight, & his stools
    were smelly & oily. Just like humans or any other animals, not all are created (or end up) "equal" in terms of functions we take for granted, and maybe some snakes
    have drier skin than others do, who knows?

Anyway, a soak may not help a snake shed their heads, since they don't keep their heads submerged at all, & we cannot do that either since they need to breathe.
    Wrapping her in a towel, sitting & relaxing with her on your lap is what I'd do...& gently keep dabbing her head with a damp rag or sponge. Try using one of those
    rubber finger tips* too, it might help you rub off the old skin. Gentle restraint, patience & persistence...& for sure, good luck!

*https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...3-34-Diameter/ -or use a rubber glove?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luraelyn (10-18-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast