Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,837

1 members and 2,836 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

My little hoggy baby (female) has refused food for 3 weeks

She's still very active, appears healthy
    I got her end of August and she was a little pig for the first 5-ish meals

Thanks
    Thanked 19,817 Times in 11,840 Posts
    Don't know where you live, much less the temps. both in your house & in snake's cage, but where I live it's FALL...temps are falling & snakes that sense it may
    refuse food. This is instinctive (c/b snakes are still "wild"!), so as not to get caught with food in their gut that it's too cold to digest. Might this be the issue???

In the wild, snakes that eat at the wrong time of year do not survive so well to pass on their genes (reproduce)...this is "natural selection" and a snake that has
    food rotting in it's stomach over the winter (they NEED external heat to digest) has a good chance of dying from that.

This time of year, both the temperatures and the amount of daylight are perceived by snakes to tell them winter is coming, fyi... As keepers, we may or may
    not be able to preclude a winter fast in our snakes...depends on species & also individuals, but making sure their cage temps. are optimal and adding light in the
    room may help. Short of that, some snakes should be cooled gradually & allowed to brumate so they don't lose excessive weight, but I'm NOT saying that YOU
    should do that yet, not at all. Your snake is still new...other things may cause food refusal too, like stress from too much handling?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depending on her size (you say baby so it tells me nothing) put her in a 2.7 sterilite latch tub or 6 quarts tub (it will depend on her size if under 15 grams use the 2.7 quarts tub), with aspen bedding and temps of 82 and 92 or or an overall of 90 degrees.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    She's 11 grams, and I don't handle her that often, maybe once a week.
    She's in a tiny sterilite tub. I keep the temps around 90 for hot side, humidity is 50% because I live in a hot humid area.