Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,637

3 members and 2,634 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

This is sage not looking so hot. I gave her an hour long soak last night and let her play in a towel and some of the shed did come off but not enough to stop me from worrying. Shes basically blind by now and I cant seem to get her to stay still enough to rub a damp cloth on her head. For being blind because of her eye caps shes still in good spirits. After her bath I tried to give her another hopper but she wasn't interested in it. Very understandable though she ate the day before and the bath was probably a bit stressful.

Ill just keep handling her and giving her baths every few days until the shed comes off. Someone on YouTube also suggested rubbing her down in vegetable oil. Is this a thing? Seems weird to me but i'm willing to try anything safe for her at this point. Her tank is sitting at around 86 deg and her humidity is around 60%. I have a reptile fog machine that i'm going to start using tomorrow and I've been spraying her tank every few hours. I'm just worried she may get a respiratory infection if I over do it.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    It's easier and much less stressful to put them in a pillowcase, damp with warm water and tied shut, left in the cage for a couple hours if you need to get stuck shed off. Don't put oil on her. Stuck shed or eyecaps aren't going to kill her and if you can keep the humidity correct it will take care of itself quickly enough.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

punkrawkah (10-15-2019)

Thanks

Re: MORPH MARKET WORLD OF BALL PYTHONS BP.NET Where have I been all these years!!!

If you soak them long enough the shed will come off. I would repeatedly soak her in warm water until it’s all gone. You can use a towel and/or a Q-tip to remove stuck eye caps. Misting is typically sufficient to maintain humidity depending on the type of enclosure. You can get pump garden sprayers that make misting enclosures a breeze. Also, I believe zoomed makes a shedding assist product as well. Might be something worth looking into if it’s really bad.
    This is why chain stores shouldn’t sell animals unless they provide proper care and get their animals from reputable sources. I used to work at one of these chains when I was younger. They never properly trained anyone and my coworkers didn’t have a clue how to care for anything other than maybe a hamster. Also they got their animals from reptiles by Mack and often arrived dead or sick. Tried rescuing a chameleon once and it died from internal parasites. I do have a beardie that I got from them that’s 10 years old and he’s perfectly healthy though. You can get good animals from major outlets but after working there I wouldn’t really recommend it. All my other animals I’ve gotten from reputable breeders.
    They killed quite a few ball pythons during my time there. They kept them improperly and refused to send them to the vet when needed. You definitely saved this snake but that’s not how they see it. They just see the animals as money which is really sad. As soon as one is sold they just order another and the cycle continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

punkrawkah (10-15-2019)

Thanks
    So, Ive soaked her twice for an hour each time since the last post and we managed to work off almost all the shed. All but her head eye caps and about 3 inches down her neck. Today I didn't soak her. after last nights soak I offered another hopper hoping to get that "i'm going to eat your face off" attitude to go away and I worked!!! she took a live hopper with extreme force. she nabbed it in the butt though... Kinda scary because the way she grabbed it. Took the poor hopper awhile to pass. I had to walk away and let her be. Shes pretty young though and still learning the ropes i think. Or im stressing her out even more feeding after baths.

Today I tried to round up a pillow case i could use for but had no luck. And I didn't want to start a war because I used my personal pillow case. I got the eye brow raise when I asked my wife if i could. She even said Ya go ahead its fine. But I know.... deep down inside she was like i dare you Just do it...

So tomorrow i'm heading to walmart to get a pillow case

I did handle her for about an hour today. She seems fine not striking at me but she was full so she just basically sat in my lap and watched snake videos on YT with me. She even yawned. Its probably just a tale people tell but I've always herd that's a good sign your snake is comfortable and is tolerating you at the moment. While I had her out I watered her sub straight and refilled her water. She spent the next 30 min or so drinking off of her glass. I don't get why snakes don't use there water bowls dont they know its easier just to drink out of the bowl!!! Dang window lickers!!!! JK JK.

I had bozo the het clown out pretty much all day after I put sage back to bed. I don't think he understands hes a snake. He just slithers around. he doesn't pull away or ball up anymore when I move fast or even when my 2 y/o comes charging at me. This super chill extremely docile snake is getting on my nerves for being too boring lol. He hangs out in my flannel shirt pocket and just chills with his head sticking out looking forward. Hes either pretending to be a pen or a giraffe, not sure which one though he wont say... And he yawns as well. Even while hes trying to be a pen. I still have an old pair of janco jeans with the massive pickets from the 90s laying around. I may need to utalize them when he get bigger. Oh dang just realized though my wife will poke fun of my new tail and i cant even say it will bite you...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: MORPH MARKET WORLD OF BALL PYTHONS BP.NET Where have I been all these years!!!

There’s a lot of text there ...

Just be aware that it’s best not to handle until they’re feeding regularly-maybe after 3 or so successful feedings ..
    Certainly NO handling for 48 hours immediately after a feed ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12