Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,534

3 members and 3,531 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

My heat matt doesn’t really get warm.

I have an 8 watt Zilla heat mat that says it is suitable for a 10-20 gallon. I have a 10 gallon enclosure I set up and attached the Mat to but it simply isn’t producing enough heat to sustain the hot spot, let alone create enough warmth for the rest of the tank (Tank for lack of better word). Is this something that a thermostat attachment could help? Usually regulators are used to prevent overheating but could it be used to make sure the mat is warm enough? When I touch inside the tank directly over where the mat is attached it feels barely warm. Between a black ceramic heat bulb (non light emitting) and the mat I can achieve an ambient temp of 76 but my hot spot rn is low 80’s. The bulb is a 50 watt but ideally I want more belly heat for the tank opposed to a higher watt bulb.

Thanks

Re: My heat matt doesn’t really get warm.

Definitely not an expert but you might need a higher watt heat mat. Also, a heat mat does nothing for ambiant temps as it only heard the surface it is in contact with.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snakemom85 For This Useful Post:

RoyalNoodles (10-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    How are you measuring the heat? Are you doing it purely by touch? Because our bodies are 98.6, so it may not feel hot to the touch and still be warm enough. You need to get 1) a thermostat to regulate the uth and 2) a heat gun to accurately measure it.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-12-2019),RoyalNoodles (10-12-2019)

Thanks

I am currently waiting for a heat gun so that I can see a precise temp 👍🏼 The ambient/hot spot I have checked with a thermostat that has a heat gage but for the heat mat it was just by touch so you make a great point. Thank you 👌🏼

Thanks

I’ll wait for the heat gun to determine but yeah my next move would be a higher watt mat with a regulator.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

You maybe surprised at the heat mat temps.. we are 98.4 remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalNoodles View Post
    I have an 8 watt Zilla heat mat that says it is suitable for a 10-20 gallon. I have a 10 gallon enclosure I set up and attached the Mat to but it simply isn’t producing enough heat to sustain the hot spot, let alone create enough warmth for the rest of the tank (Tank for lack of better word). Is this something that a thermostat attachment could help? Usually regulators are used to prevent overheating but could it be used to make sure the mat is warm enough? When I touch inside the tank directly over where the mat is attached it feels barely warm. Between a black ceramic heat bulb (non light emitting) and the mat I can achieve an ambient temp of 76 but my hot spot rn is low 80’s. The bulb is a 50 watt but ideally I want more belly heat for the tank opposed to a higher watt bulb.
    If you are measuring temps by touch, you could be wrong. To be accurate, you will need a thermometer (digital or temp gun).

Secondly, ALL heat sources including the heat mat must be regulated with a thermostat. No buts or ifs. This prevent burns on your snake and controls the temp where you want it to be.

Third, heat mats do not create ambient temps. It warms only the surface it is in contact with, best used under the tank. The bulbs are great for hot spot and ambient temps. However...

Those black bulbs are controversial. Just like infrared bulbs, whether or not reptiles can see 'light' is not conclusive. It could be at a spectrum we can't see it does not mean the animal can't, no matter how slight. Better to use CHE for that reason as it heats not with the use of any light. But your tank is small so an CHE could be an overkill as most are extremely hot, even with the use of a thermostat. For small tanks, I recommend just moving it to a warmer room in your house where it is no lower than 77F. If that is not possible, then using a 2nd heat meat + thermostat is a good option too. CHE is doable but you must really watch the temps, using the designated CHE safe fixtures and careful that it is not near anything it can burn (ie curtains). Keep in mind, the bulb can dry out the tank. You still need to maintain at least 50% humidity in the tank.

Lastly, all of my heat mats are Zilla. I use the mini (4 watts), the 8 watts that you have, medium and large for all of my snakes and my leopard gecko. I have yet to have any heating issues with this brand, compared to ZooMed which completely failed on me right after purchase. Zilla does not always make good products though (Their basking bulbs are junk) but I have more confidence in the critter cages and heat mats. So give it a benefit of the doubt, see the above tips I gave you and check if it really is the heat mat not working effectively.

Edit to add:
    You do NOT need a higher watts heat mat. The 8 watts work fine as long as you are trying to achieve a 88-90F. Only if you are going much hotter (Over 95F) should you reconsider a higher wattage.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 10-12-2019 at 07:40 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

To Cheesenugget;2715462

I second on the reasons to use and how thermostats work and how heat pads work very minimally on ambient but how they do provide a warm spot for the snake to lay on. But myself I love the 100 watt Black Light night bulbs that Zilla make. My snake is never afraid to come out when or if they are on (red bulbs yes but not black light or moon) and they last months and months on a thermostat. And I personally think that heat bulbs heat the ambient better than CHE's on a 100 watt to 100 watt comparison.

I also love the Zilla Critter Cages as you like them.

To the op I also feel your pad needs a thermostat, not to make it hotter (which it doesn't) but to keep it from getting too hot like say in the summer time especially but anytime really. It takes time for the pads to heat things up so by now it might be too hot.

I personally recommend you getting also a 50 or 100 watt night bulb (black light or moon glow type) have it in the proper dome (they have different ratings for watts) and absolutely have it also on a thermostat. I would put it one side or the other to make a warm end and a cooler end.

I myself don't use a UTH but have a Zilla 40 gal. with a 100 watt over each end, both on thermostats one side a little hotter than the other side. But I know people who use racks need to have them and I'm OK with using uth's if one has too but I just don't feel I need it in my one tank situation.

To sum it up what I expressed is just my personal opinion. But on using thermostats for heating devices that is every responsible reptile keepers that is on ball-pythons.net's opinion.