Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,975

0 members and 2,975 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Snakeheads in GA

i think these fish are kool. they're predatory, have big teeth and can survive on land/breathe air. i know a few peeps who keep them where it is permissible but irresponsible keeping can uproot ecosystems. i hope GA can keep them in check.

story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ia/3925881002/
    'Kill it immediately': Invasive fish that can breathe air, survive on land found in Georgia

An invasive fish has been marked for death in Georgia.

The Georgia Department of Natural Resources' Wildlife Resources Division confirmed someone found a northern snakehead in a pond on private property in Gwinnett County, marking the first time the invasive fish has been found in the state, according to the DNR.

The department's advice for what Georgia residents should do upon finding a northern snakehead, which can breathe air, is simple. First, residents should not release the fish. Secondly, "Kill it immediately (remember, it can survive on land) and freeze it."

Fishermen who find a northern snakehead should take pictures, note where it was caught and then report it, the Georgia DNR said in a statement.

“Our first line of defense in the fight against aquatic invasive species, such as the northern snakehead, are our anglers,” Matt Thomas, chief of fisheries for the Wildlife Resources Division, said in a statement.

“Thanks to the quick report by an angler, our staff was able to investigate and confirm the presence of this species in this water body. We are now taking steps to determine if they have spread from this water body and, hopefully, keep it from spreading to other Georgia waters," Thomas said.

According to the Department of Agriculture, the northern snakehead is native to Eastern Asia and "preys on and competes with native species."

The northern snakehead can grow to "3 feet in length," according to the Georgia DNR.

"They have a long dorsal fin that runs along their whole back, and have a dark brown blotchy appearance. They can breathe air and can survive in low-oxygenated systems," the department added.
    and here: https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/10/us/ge...rnd/index.html
    A snakehead fish that survives on land was discovered in Georgia. Officials want it dead

(CNN)An invasive fish species that can breathe air and survive on land has been found in Georgia for the first time. And officials are warning anyone who comes into contact with the species to kill it immediately.

An angler caught the northern snakehead fish this month in a pond in Gwinnett County, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources' Wildlife Resources Division said Tuesday.

"Thanks to the quick report by an angler, our staff was able to investigate and confirm the presence of this species in this water body," said Matt Thomas, chief of fisheries for the Wildlife Resources Division. "We are now taking steps to determine if they have spread from this water body and, hopefully, keep it from spreading to other Georgia waters."

While this is the first time it's been discovered in Georgia, snakeheads have been reported in 14 states nationwide. The long, thin fish has a dark brown blotchy appearance and can grow up to three feet in length. It can also breathe air, and survive in low oxygenated systems, including on land, officials said.

A snakehead fish is considered a non-native invasive species, which means it affects native species by competing for food and habitat. In Georgia, it is illegal to possess one without a valid wild animal license.

Anglers who believe they've caught a northern snakehead should kill it immediately and freeze it, officials said.

"If possible, take pictures of the fish, including close ups of its mouth, fins and tail (and) note where it was caught," state officials said.

The United States Department of Agriculture considers the snakehead fish "injurious wildlife," and it is federally regulated.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-10-2019),cletus (10-10-2019),Reinz (10-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Freaky
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I've watched a few programs on tv about these...yes, they wreak havoc on ecosystems...they'd be so cool otherwise, I mean, they're pretty tough critters!
    But invasive species they are, and hard to deal with.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Florida is full of them. Florida waters are full of about every invasive species you can think of. lol

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Snakeheads in GA

I guess my question would be, if they are native to the Yangtze River in China, how are they getting into inland ponds and waterways here in GA. A pond in Gwinnett County GA is not a place where the normal accidental methods of transplant occur, such as bilge pump water discharge, etc. So are these considered a good fish to eat? Are they a fish normally seen in pet shops. For someone to be intentionally planting them, they must have a need. Either disposing of an unwanted pet, or trying to cultivate something that may have been part of their diet somewhere else.

Something fishy is going on.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I used to have one. He was in a 55 gallon tank I had with an Oscar, Jack Dempsey and a good sized catfish (not sure of species, he was given to me).

He was AWESOME!!!! He got to about 14" before he died. They're not legal here, but I used to know a woman who sold them and piranha out of her store's basement. I was young and didn't care back then...

But nonetheless, they are incredible animals. I've watched a handful of shows about them too. It's too bad they're so invasive, they'd make great pets otherwise.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-11-2019),rlditmars (10-10-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    So are these considered a good fish to eat? Are they a fish normally seen in pet shops. For someone to be intentionally planting them, they must have a need. Either disposing of an unwanted pet, or trying to cultivate something that may have been part of their diet somewhere else.
    Yes, you can eat them. AFAIK they generally get into ecosystems as discarded pets and are generally illegal to keep in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I used to have one. He was in a 55 gallon tank I had with an Oscar, Jack Dempsey and a good sized catfish (not sure of species, he was given to me).

He was AWESOME!!!! He got to about 14" before he died. They're not legal here, but I used to know a woman who sold them and piranha out of her store's basement. I was young and didn't care back then...

But nonetheless, they are incredible animals. I've watched a handful of shows about them too. It's too bad they're so invasive, they'd make great pets otherwise.
    My ex and I had one a looooong time ago, from a fish store that had a variety of fish (and croc) they should not have had as they were illegal. The fish really was such an awesome keep though, super personable and interesting to interact with (we also kept south american Cichlids). It is a shame they are so terribly invasive and adaptable.

Hopefully GA can get them out of their environment!
    For the Horde!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

cletus (10-10-2019),Craiga 01453 (10-10-2019),rlditmars (10-10-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    They taste great! Maryland has them from one side of the State to the other. You use to have to kill them on sight. That didn't stop them from gaining a foothold on the State. They came from the pet trade.

So, GA has a pig problem an a fish problem. Snakeheads will F up the large mouth bass population. What is next for the State?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

cletus (10-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    I guess my question would be, if they are native to the Yangtze River in China, how are they getting into inland ponds and waterways here in GA. A pond in Gwinnett County GA is not a place where the normal accidental methods of transplant occur, such as bilge pump water discharge, etc. So are these considered a good fish to eat? Are they a fish normally seen in pet shops. For someone to be intentionally planting them, they must have a need. Either disposing of an unwanted pet, or trying to cultivate something that may have been part of their diet somewhere else.

Something fishy is going on.

Probably brought in by birds from Florida. Birds walk in the water and the eggs stick to their feet and they fly off and spread them to other bodies of water.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Reinz (10-11-2019),rlditmars (10-10-2019)