Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,813

2 members and 2,811 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: What is your Cold/Flu Routine?

I find that rotating through the various OTC decongestants each day helps as my body seems to adjust to them after a day or so and they lose effectiveness. Sudafed (the real stuff that you need to show ID to get) works the best.

At night anything with diphenhydramine (Benadryl) to knock me out works, but I only take a 1/4 to 1/2 a normal adult dose or I am woozy and useless the next day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Bro I suffer like a dog and pray for it to end. I got a nerve disease and a cancer survivor. Threw up, cold sweats. It’s ironic you posted cause I’m suffering like this right now. Norco, Xanax. And maybe some edibles, literally hate flu shots. Peace, hope you feeling better Ax. And this one I have no appetite, which stinks cause I’m already on the light side. To anyone who’s sick hope it’s fast. And yes if it goes on for a couple days I have to go to the doctor. More exposure, sweet.
    Hang in there, Sonny...it really sucks to be sick! And I know what you mean about going to the doctor & getting even more exposure! This is one area it makes sense
    to do these online/phone visits for some help, if your doctor offers it, though with your medical issues you're at greater risk & it probably is still best to be seen.

Hope you feel better soon! (You too, Ax)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (10-11-2019)

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cold: Zicam! Early and often! And treat the symptoms as needed.

Flu: If you are early your doc can give you Tamiflu. Otherwise it is treat the symptoms, stay home and wait it out. Cod wil lat least give you Rx cough meds with codine in it. That stuff knocks me out. Rather be asleep than awake with the flu.

Also, you can rotate Tylenol and Ibuprofen every two hours. Like at 1200 take Tylenol. At 2 take Ibuprofen. At 4 take Tylenol again. At 6 take Ibuprofen again.
    Last edited by MasonC2K; 10-11-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    - Mason

Thanks
    Prevention is best: If you eat a lot of onions, garlic &/or kimchi, few people will get close enough to cough their germs on you in the first place.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (10-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Prevention is best: If you eat a lot of onions, garlic &/or kimchi, few people will get close enough to cough their germs on you in the first place.
    LOL best advice

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

ugh sorry you are sick!! :-(

I really really try to rest. I call off work to rest, and to avoid "spreading the love" to my co-workers during the worst part . It's just really rude to go to work sick if you are around other people.

A nice hot steamy shower, and using the cool mist humidifer.

I drink lots of Gatorade and sprite-- I know these are not essential, but somehow I have childhood connection to drinking these when I'm sick. Along with Vicks Vapo-rub.

As an asthmatic I use my rescue meds as needed.

Sudafed is great! At first it totally drains you so you are like a faucet, but then it also shrinks those swollen tissues in your nose to prevent more mucous production for the rest of the cold. Plus it helps stuffy ears. So if you can stand the initial clean-out, it's great stuff for a cold.

Benedryl is terrible. It initially stops the waterfall of snot, but it thickens the mucous, causes sinus and ear infections, and makes some people like me really loopy and zombie-like. This is one of the main ingredients in Nyquil by the way.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    ugh sorry you are sick!! :-(

I really really try to rest. I call off work to rest, and to avoid "spreading the love" to my co-workers during the worst part . It's just really rude to go to work sick if you are around other people.

A nice hot steamy shower, and using the cool mist humidifer.

I drink lots of Gatorade and sprite-- I know these are not essential, but somehow I have childhood connection to drinking these when I'm sick. Along with Vicks Vapo-rub.

As an asthmatic I use my rescue meds as needed.

Sudafed is great! At first it totally drains you so you are like a faucet, but then it also shrinks those swollen tissues in your nose to prevent more mucous production for the rest of the cold. Plus it helps stuffy ears. So if you can stand the initial clean-out, it's great stuff for a cold.

Benedryl is terrible. It initially stops the waterfall of snot, but it thickens the mucous, causes sinus and ear infections, and makes some people like me really loopy and zombie-like. This is one of the main ingredients in Nyquil by the way.
    I appreciate your explanation...if I catch a cold, I may go for the Sudafed. I vaguely remember using it some years ago. I really hate to use OTC's that dry you up so
    much that your congestion stays in your sinuses & you can't breathe...and then the stuff to clear your sinuses makes things worse if used more than 3 days. Come
    to think of it, I've also used Ayr, a saline nasal mist that has no such complications.

Funny you mention drinking Sprite...when I was a kid, my mom believed in 7-Up & soda crackers for flu/colds & this worked out for the best: I grew up disliking drinking
    any & all sodas (Coke, Pepsi, etc) since I associate it with being sick, & the carbonation gives me hiccups anyway, so I've never gotten hooked on drinking that stuff like
    so many have. Once in a blue moon, I'll have some root beer...I really live dangerously!

Thanks
    my immune system is suppressed thanks to multiple autoimmune and autoinflammatory diseases. that being said, i don't seem to get sick more often than i used to but man does it last at least twice as normal.
    when i get sick it is hot lemon and ginger tea with honey and totino's frozen pizza. i also make sure to get "real" sudafed from behind the pharmacy counter. and i might be 36 years old but i have a "blankie" - an old grey comforter i've had since college.
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Well at 61 nearly 62 not on any medication, zero health issues and I’m basically indestructible

Still feel ( and behave) like a teenager and I’m aiming to reach a 100 !!

Part of it is due to genes ( long lived family ) but a lot is due to the intermittent fasting regime I follow ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12