Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

2 members and 3,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

What is your Cold/Flu Routine?

ok i caught a bug on my plane on Sunday. it seemed like half the peeps were coughing. i felt myself going ill as soon as i step out of the airport and felt the chilly Seattle air. so i woke up sick the next morning - terrible cough and running a fever. i tried to go into the office and get some work done but left after 90minutes to go home and go to bed.

anyways what is your cold, flu, fever, sickness/illness routine? do u take meds? have a homemade remedy? when do u go to the doctor?

me - i like to stay in bed or the couch, watch The Price is Right, drink Nyquil by the gallon and hot fluids (soup and tea) and nap and nap. i will go to the doctor after a few days if there is no improvement.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-10-2019),Sonny1318 (10-11-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Glad you're feeling better Axxy boy.

I'm a big fan of NyQuil and DayQuil. I tried Xyzal recently and that worked well too.

I always make a batch of homemade soup too. I'll eat nothing but soup for days til I feel better.
    ...and Gatorade lots of Gatorade.

And I'm s huge baby about it and barely leave the couch. This time of year I watch NFL Network and History Channel mostly.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    First off, I get a flu shot yearly & can't remember when I've last had the flu. I hate being sick & I know that employers are usually not sympathetic when people
    take off for sickness, but when they go to work anyway, they aren't as productive & usually just give it to everyone else.

The last time I had a nasty virus (a few years ago), it was when I went into a local business (tech support) & their rep. -who was quite sick but at work anyway
    got up from her desk as I walked up, and as she leaned she forward couldn't stop herself from coughing in my face. So I got it too. Planes are famous for
    sharing germs...all that time crowded together, you were a sitting duck. Sometimes it's just unavoidable. (hope you feel better soon!)

Treatment depends on symptoms & mine are much like yours: rest, stay hydrated & eat healthy (& light, if needed...soup is often very comforting). A persistent
    high fever would have me seeking a doctor, as would any unusual symptoms (severe headache, neck pain, etc.) as that can be something far more serious. I avoid
    taking meds. but I will for cough, sore throat, fever, etc. as needed. The thing is, I only buy remedies that treat single symptoms, so I'm not ever taking more than
    I actually need (like, for symptoms I don't have).

I actually don't get sick very often, & that includes colds. Part of that is being older...they say you gain immunity to cold viruses so the longer you've been around,
    the more exposure you've had to fighting them off, & you mostly only get the "new stuff". The "best place" to catch germs is to hang around children in grammar
    school... -bless their germy little hearts (& hands!)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: What is your Cold/Flu Routine?

I drink a bottle of single malt whisky - based on the idea they don't have my tolerance and, even if they do, I'm too happy to notice.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-10-2019),John1982 (10-18-2019),ladywhipple02 (10-11-2019),RickyNY (10-11-2019),Sonny1318 (10-11-2019)

Thanks

Sorry to hear you're sick, Ax. Sucks to be trapped in a plane with everyone coughing! Hope you're feeling back to 100% soon.

I lose my appetite when I'm sick so if I'm sick enough to stay home, I mostly just lie in bed, watch documentaries, movies, or TV shows, sleep, and try to drink a lot of hot water. The only thing I'll eat is soup, usually crappy Lipton noodle soup that comes in those dry packets and toss in some vegetables since I can't be bothered to make anything fancier and the MSG in it is the only thing that persuades me to eat at all lol. I used to get really bad sore throats every time I got sick so I'd get herbal lozenges and make ginger honey lemon tea but the past few times I've been sick it hasn't been so bad. I also take Benadryl to help me sleep if I have a sore throat or a cough.

I've definitely noticed the cold and flu season is hitting since I've noticed a lot more sick people on public transit and at the office. Think I might be coming down with something too since I've felt super tired and had a headache since the afternoon. I went straight home after work and slept for a few hours until now so not a good sign lol. Just in time for Thanksgiving weekend too here in Canada

In the past I mostly only went to the doctor while sick to get sick notes since certain courses in my university program took attendance which counted for marks. I've also gone for lingering coughs and once for a really bad cough that kept me up at night for a week even with cough medicine. Never been sick enough to go for any other reason, fortunately.

Thanks

Sleep, sleep, and more sleep. I had a horrible cold a few weeks ago and got sent home from work - I immediately went back to bed and proceeded to sleep for 20ish hours (waking every few to drink water). I only go see a doctor if I have a fever over 102.5, and I only take cold/flu meds if I'm coughing so much that my asthma kicks in.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm the worst patient.

I know to stay home and call off work, sleep about 2-3x, wake up and take some Tylenol and then I'm working in the home. Dogs need to be walked (And I want to get some fresh air), cats need their litterboxes scooped, the bunny needs her fur brushed and hay restocked 2x a day. The lizards and snakes would not eat though because that can wait, unless for some extreme reason It can't. But I would check on them anyway, pick up poop, etc. It may sound a lot but it is not to me: I like to stay busy, so when all that is done, I still refuse to rest properly because I was sick of sleeping. I would eat a lot of soup or anything nice and hot, and cook some more. If I'm up for it, I will go run some grocery errands too. Maybe I clean as I cook. I do this until I pass out, usually on the couch in the middle of catching up on my reality tv shows. I even attended a birthday party by the pool the other day when I was sick. I can't miss my niece's birthday: I promised her months in advance that I would be there. It was not that bad... Until I returned home.

I still felt like crap the whole time but I could not stand wasting time by sleeping so much. My face looks pale and I'm grumpy as heck when I go out for errands. My husband would scold me and hide my keys so I can't go. He does help me a lot though.

2-3 days and I'm all better.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (10-11-2019)

Thanks
    I try to take Cold FX (boosts your immune system) when I start to feel sick, they don't work as well when you are already fully sick. My routine when I am sick is usually take some dayquil/nyquil depending if I want to sleep. Then I lay on the couch and watch shows while I use up all the tissue boxes in the house. I also use lozenges when my throat gets sore.

Getting sick isn't fun, hope you feel better soon.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Nyquil, Dayquil, and that stuff that has a ton of Vitamin C in it you are supposed to take before you get on a plance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Bro I suffer like a dog and pray for it to end. I got a nerve disease and a cancer survivor. Threw up, cold sweats. It’s ironic you posted cause I’m suffering like this right now. Norco, Xanax. And maybe some edibles, literally hate flu shots. Peace, hope you feeling better Ax. And this one I have no appetite, which stinks cause I’m already on the light side. To anyone who’s sick hope it’s fast. And yes if it goes on for a couple days I have to go to the doctor. More exposure, sweet.
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 10-11-2019 at 09:59 AM. Reason: sick
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast