Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,997

3 members and 2,994 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corn temps

Thanks

Re: Corn temps

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    My snake room is in the basement of my house. I have my tanks stacked 4 high and the top tanks are currently about 76-78* and the bottom tanks are about 70* ambient. My corns are currently eating and breeding.
    Perfect, thanks! Sounds like one of those instances where gut instinct is wrong. So I should be good with a low of 72 ambient in winter and high of 79 ambient in summer. Are you running a UTH as well?

Any chance you can recommend a good breeder in the area that would be at the Frederick MD show in early March?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post
    ...So I should be good with a low of 72 ambient in winter and high of 79 ambient in summer. Are you running a UTH as well? ...
    Yup. A low of 70*-72* is fine. (even 68* overnight is fine) High of 79* (ambient) in summer is also fine. I run UTH (@ about 85-86*) until my house is about 82* or so
    in the summertime here (mid-South), then I will turn off the UTH for a month or so (hottest part of summer). Most people run more A/C for their own comfort than I do-
    I just stay in the pool swimming laps, lol.

So if your house is at least 80* you can give the UTH a rest...but just to watch & make sure they're digesting OK...you can also use an overhead basking light (dimmed
    way down) just to offer a little more warmth for a couple hours a day if you think they need it, & then pay attention to your snakes, see if they use it...they will likely
    show you what they need & like. You don't need to be so exact...the great outdoors isn't either.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

67temp (02-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

Perfect, thanks! Sounds like one of those instances where gut instinct is wrong. So I should be good with a low of 72 ambient in winter and high of 79 ambient in summer. Are you running a UTH as well?

Any chance you can recommend a good breeder in the area that would be at the Frederick MD show in early March?
    In the winter I do use uth's and have it set for around 82ish. Mine will typically use the heat for only the first day after eating. Summertime when they stop using the heat I turn the uth off because the room ambient is around 78-80.

I'll be doing the Frederick shows some this year but not till after May. Like most other breeders our number of available babies are low right now. More than likely Rick Krumine will have a few. Depending on the morph you are looking for other good local corn breeders that attend MD shows are port-city-pythons, black heart reptiles, adrians captive creations, enterprise snakes, Susie Q scaleless, and myself (silent hill reptiles).
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

As long as the corn has a hot spot that's not too hot or too cold (82-84F or so), so they actually use it, it shouldn't be a big issue if temps get down to the low 70's ambient wise.

In my experience with corns, over 85F or so, and they will avoid it. Low 70's is probably too cold to easily digest though. So make sure the hot spot is really dialed in and there shouldn't be any issues.

Corns are pretty hardy animals.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post

In my experience with corns, over 85F or so, and they will avoid it. Low 70's is probably too cold to easily digest though. So make sure the hot spot is really dialed in and there shouldn't be any issues.

Corns are pretty hardy animals.
    Exactly. They avoid UTH that's too warm. They can still digest at 70* but much slower. All my corns know where to go after eating, & for how long to digest...trust them.
    They evolved knowing what they need- and make excellent pets, with normally-nice temperaments, beautiful colors, & nominal size.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

67temp (02-10-2020),dakski (02-10-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    I'll be doing the Frederick shows some this year but not till after May. Like most other breeders our number of available babies are low right now. More than likely Rick Krumine will have a few. Depending on the morph you are looking for other good local corn breeders that attend MD shows are port-city-pythons, black heart reptiles, adrians captive creations, enterprise snakes, Susie Q scaleless, and myself (silent hill reptiles).

Is there a seasonality to it? I'm not looking for anything too crazy, but would there be many more choices/options in April, May, or June? I like the look of the Okeetee, Miami, or Okeetee x Miami.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

Is there a seasonality to it? I'm not looking for anything too crazy, but would there be many more choices/options in April, May, or June? I like the look of the Okeetee, Miami, or Okeetee x Miami.
    There is a seasonality to corns most of the time. you mihgt be able to still find some forsale. April is still going to be pretty sparse. A few showing up in May. June, July and August is when they are the most available as they hatch and get feeding. Of the morphs you listed the Okeetee will probably be the easiest to get.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12