Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,241

1 members and 2,240 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Water Dish Question (especially Adam)

Just looking for some other options for water dishes for the snakes. We use low dishes right now but they tend to either get flipped or filled with aspen.

Adam, I noticed in a pic you posted somewhere that what you use looks pretty cool. Some sort of holder with a disposable cup in it I think? Just wondering what they are as obviously they work out well with a large group of snakes. Is it one size fits all or do you use different sizes for different ages groups of snakes?

Anyone else have any interesting ideas for water dishes for larger balls? I'm wasting a bit more aspen than I care to with the bigger girls messing about with the ones I currently use.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Water Dish Question (especially Adam)

For adults and sub adults I use 16oz disposable deli cups set inside 4" PVC couplers. All of my 05's are setup with 8oz disposable deli cups with no holder.

I get the deli cups in bulk from www.foodservicedirect.com and the couplers from Home Depot. Every coupler is still washed every single week and disinfected on a regular basis, but the disposable deli cups are thrown out each week and give me an extra level of protection from possible cross contamination. Also, I often stuble across dirty water bowls in between cage cleanings that can very quickly be replaced with a fresh deli cup instead of washing dishes multiple times per week.

Another reason I like the couplers is because they have no bottom which allows air to get under the water bowls and prevents mold. When I used to use ceramic "crocks" for my snakes, I'd sometimes have problems with mold growth under water bowls when a little water was spilled. Since I am a huge freak when it comes to keeping mold a million miles away from my snakes, the couplers are a great solution to that problem as well.

I've been using this system for several years and have never had a problem with adults tipping the couplers.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries

i use these for all but 2 of my big girls:http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...02072%3A202080. a teeny tiny one for my two smallest girls, the super huge one for my largest girl who insists on soaking before shedding no matter what i do and the medium size one for everyone else. the two big girls that i don't use those for have the large walmart version of this bowl: http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1131660676872. they get that bowl because they insist on tipping anything else and so far that dish has proven untippable.

it's a lot of bowls so i do a lot of washing but it's not too time consuming yet. once i start getting babies i'll probably use the adam method for them.
    - Emily

Thanks

What are the couplers, Adam? I'm considering doing this.. but I don't know if it'd really work for my big snakes since they like to get in the bowl.

Also, where on that site are the deli cups? I searched for 'deli cup' but only got portion cups..

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

This might be it, Shelby: Link
    I can't picture how the coupler work either! LOL

Thanks

Actually, after looking the site over, I'm sure it's these: http://www.foodservicedirect.com/ind...ers_&_Lids.htm

I guess you set the deli cup in the coupler and it's weight would stabilize it? I just wonder if I could use deli cups for my big boas.. not sure.

April

Thanks

I got some deli cups from foodservicedirect.com and the shipping kills ya if you only get a case. The shipping is almost half as much as the case. They're working out great though, and the coupler idea is a great one. Very time saving!
    Ken

Thanks

Even with shipping.. they're not much considering the cleanliness and time saving advantages.

April

Thanks

Excellent idea Adam. Couplers from Home Depot and I just bet I can get those deli cups locally. We have a company called GFS up here that supplies restaurants though anyone can shop at their warehouses and they tend to have all sorts of those types of things.

Thanks!

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

There's also this link....http://www.foodservicedirect.com/ind..._Container.htm

It's at least 16 oz. Anyway, just thought I'd add that one to the growing list of possibilities...
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast