Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,840

4 members and 2,836 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Feeding during shed.

I know that has been discossued over and over. I have been reading on it and I just want to make sure I have this down right. So the reason most people dont feed during shed is that the snake uses moisture to shed and it is believed that snakes usually do not have enough energy to do both? Now my question comes in like this. What about if you snake eats in shed? Both my snakes eat while in shed. The last time I fed them both in shed the boa shed properly, but the blood shed everything minus the top of its head because the shed split right before his neck. I am not sure if this is because of feeding while on shed, or if it was a freak accident because all his other shed have been perfect, and I fed those weeks too.

Another issue is what should I have in the tank to facilitate shedding. I have 2 medium size rocks in there, but I still think he is having issues finding something to rub his nose against to help the shed. Should I replace the rocks with 1 big rock that weighs like 15 lbs? When I resolved the issue with the shed on my blood's head it came off very very easily, so I believe I had all the husbandry right (checked with hygrometer and thermometer), but he was just unable to shed the top part of his head.

What would you guys recommend? Just not to feed during shed? Or keep feeding during shed for 1 or 2 more cycles and see how the shed comes off?

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Feeding during shed.

I personally don't feed.
    Some of my boas I noticed they don't always have a great shed if I've fed them accidentally and not noticed. I think it's with stretching the skin to fit the food in especially around the neck, it was ripped so I never bother and to be fair most of mine won't eat in shed anyway, they just knock it away if I had defrosted it for them and not noticed the was in shed till I move there hide to give it them.
    It doesn't hurt to give them a break from a regular feeding schedule anyway, they wouldn't be on a regular feeding time in the wild

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

cletus (10-08-2019),MarkL1561 (10-08-2019)

Thanks

They shed because the old layer of skin has reached its maximum and they need a new layer for growth. I’ve heard that by feeding you’re potentially stretching the old layer which can cause damage if the layers haven’t completely separated yet. I do not know how accurate this is though, could possibly just be a myth. I think people usually avoid feeding while shedding because their eyesight is impaired and they often will reject food. So it’s better to wait instead of wasting feeders. I really don’t see the harm in waiting so imo opinion I’d just wait until they’re done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (10-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I don't if I can help it. Sometimes I'll feed them and then notice they are going into shed but I don't do it on purpose. I think the shed process can be uncomfortable for them so I don't see a need to add stress to the mix.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    OK thanks for the replies guys. What did you guys think of putting a larger rock in the tub? I think the issue was the rock that is in there is too light, and he just keeps pushing it around. Do you guys know of something else I can put in the tub to help with rubbing the nose of the shed off?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

cletus (10-08-2019),richardhind1972 (10-08-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    My only snake that eats in shed is my King. But he'll eat anything anytime. But his last few sheds I just waited. He certainly won't miss the meal and always happily takes it post shed.

I used to offer each of my new snakes ONCE in shed. If they refused (which all but the King have) I never offered again in shed. I just waited.

Now, I honestly don't even bother trying with my new additions. I just wait them out. No wasted prey and I never get post shed refusals. It seems they're always hungry after a shed.

They're efficient animals, so I know it does them no harm to wait a few extra days to offer food.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    OK thanks for the replies guys. What did you guys think of putting a larger rock in the tub? I think the issue was the rock that is in there is too light, and he just keeps pushing it around. Do you guys know of something else I can put in the tub to help with rubbing the nose of the shed off?
    For the blood I’d use cork flats as they like to hide out in the leaf litter and underbrush. Might help him shed as he burrows/goes to hide under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Mine seems to use their hides but normally its their branches they rub against to start them off.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk