Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,876

0 members and 2,876 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: My First Snake!

Thanks

Re: My First Snake!

I want some pics haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

aurum (10-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Yessss! Ditto on Craig's warning that kings are escape artists! My first snake escape (decades ago) was an albino cal king that I housed in a small glass terrarium
    with a sliding screen lid, held in place by a peg. Great...no way a snake can get out of that one, right? The peg held the top in place & allowed not more than a
    1/4" of wiggle room, & sure enough, my cal king got out by following the track behind the lid with that tiny amount of space. I found her pretty fast...she went into
    my closet nearby, & was hiding in the toe of a tall boot. The only way I could keep her in that cage from then on was to tape the corners so the sliding screen was
    unable to budge at all. Snakes have nothing better to do than push the limits (or any weaknesses) of their housing...trust us. And they're awfully good at "hide &
    seek".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

aurum (10-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Congrats!!! Kings are fantastic snakes. My first snake was a King almost 20 years ago. With all the amazing species of snakes out there Kings always have been and always will be one of my favorites.
    I've said many times, as long as I'm in the snake hobby I'll always have at least one King.

I often joke that my Cali King, Django would eat a slice of pizza if I dangled off tongs...as long as it's meat lovers!!! Hahahhaa, Kings are voracious feeders. Even all these years later it still amazes me.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have, we're happy to help!

...oh and make sure your enclosure is 10000% escape proof. Kings are incredible escape artists and when they're that tiny can fit through holes you wouldn't think possible.
    Thank you! Kings seem great, and I'm so glad I ended up getting one
    My enclosure has four screen clips, one on each corner, and the lid almost doesn't move at all when I pull up on it, so hopefully that should be enough to contain her lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Congratulations on your first snake. You chose wisely.
    Thank you! I'm very happy with my decision
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    I want some pics haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It might take a little while for me to get some good pictures of her since I don't want to bother her with an actual handling session for a couple weeks and all I have right now is a crappy picture from the expo haha
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aurum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-12-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Congrats on the new acquisition. I hope you get many years of enjoyment with it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

aurum (10-09-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yessss! Ditto on Craig's warning that kings are escape artists! My first snake escape (decades ago) was an albino cal king that I housed in a small glass terrarium
    with a sliding screen lid, held in place by a peg. Great...no way a snake can get out of that one, right? The peg held the top in place & allowed not more than a
    1/4" of wiggle room, & sure enough, my cal king got out by following the track behind the lid with that tiny amount of space. I found her pretty fast...she went into
    my closet nearby, & was hiding in the toe of a tall boot. The only way I could keep her in that cage from then on was to tape the corners so the sliding screen was
    unable to budge at all. Snakes have nothing better to do than push the limits (or any weaknesses) of their housing...trust us. And they're awfully good at "hide &
    seek".
    Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    Thank you! Kings seem great, and I'm so glad I ended up getting one
    My enclosure has four screen clips, one on each corner, and the lid almost doesn't move at all when I pull up on it, so hopefully that should be enough to contain her lol

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you! I'm very happy with my decision
    I use weather stripping on my enclosures with screen lids. I just apply it around the outside of the enclosure on the lip where the screen meets. It takes out any wiggle room and makes escape impossible.

I unfortunately learned that lesson the hard way many years ago.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

aurum (10-09-2019),Bogertophis (10-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    seek".
    Oh no! At least you found her quickly and fixed the problem. My lid is on pretty tight so hopefully I won't have to deal with an escapee anytime soon, but thank you and Craig for warning anyhow
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    Congrats on the new acquisition. I hope you get many years of enjoyment with it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I hope so too
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I use weather stripping on my enclosures with screen lids. I just apply it around the outside of the enclosure on the lip where the screen meets. It takes out any wiggle room and makes escape impossible.

I unfortunately learned that lesson the hard way many years ago.
    Thanks for the advice with the weather stripping! Just to clarify do you put it directly on top of the lip or around the sides of it?
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    Thanks for the advice with the weather stripping! Just to clarify do you put it directly on top of the lip or around the sides of it?
    Around the sides. If it's a screen lid that sits on top I go around the whole perimeter. If it's one of the slide tops held with pins I just do the front.

The screen lids that sit on top aren't usually a snug fit and they'll wiggle around. This eliminates that wiggle room and closes the tiny gaps.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 10-09-2019 at 03:39 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

aurum (10-09-2019)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast