Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,377

3 members and 1,374 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Accidentally handled BP during preshed, will it be fine?

So as the title says, I handled my about foot and a half long BP and noticed she had her eye caps a milky color and recognized that she is going to shed soon. Will she be ok as she seemed to be stressed a decent amount from it.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    She should be OK. Obviously you know you shouldn't have or you wouldn't have asked: snake's skin is more fragile at this stage & some say handling can even
    cause some damage (there is moisture secreted between the old & new skin layers to facilitate shedding). Mostly, snakes choose to lay low instinctively at this
    time because they cannot see well, making them at greater risk from predators while fumbling around...so mostly, you just caused some stress. I'm pretty sure
    you'll be forgiven...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (10-07-2019)

Thanks

Re: Accidentally handled BP during preshed, will it be fine?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. How deep in shed was she when you handled her? Just make sure she's left alone for the remainder of the process to prevent stressing her further, and keep the humidity UP! I handled my albino snake during early shed a few times when I was (and still kind of am) very new and naive about recognizing milky eyes/dull coloring. She still shed perfectly well. The worst that could happen is your bp sheds in pieces and you might have to deal with a bit of stuck shed. Not as scary as you'd think to fix, but as always I know it's best to prevent that from ever happening. Humidity is the most important thing to fuss over when they're in shed. You and your bp will be just fine, good luck with everything!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    She isn’t that far into it, no discoloration or scales and the eyes are entirely milky yet so she just started today or yesterday. I put her back within seconds of picking her up as well. Afterwards I filled her water dish and strayed the enclosure down for added humidity.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It is fine. My king is in blue too. I just petted her a few hours ago. She is fine. She has yet to have issues with shedding. Just let them be and they know what to do.

Thanks

You’re fine, no worries. Limited handling won’t hurt but it’s best to leave them alone until they’re done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Ok thank you for helping , I’m new to being a BP owner and everything is going well with her. Just new to some things haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchPreacher View Post
    Ok thank you for helping , I’m new to being a BP owner and everything is going well with her. Just new to some things haha
    We were all new to keeping snakes at one time...so ask away! And some of us had no forum like this to ask when we got started.

Thanks
    No idea of anyone is still watching this but she has fully shed from what I can tell, beautiful colors and seems comfortable. I was just wondering how long I should wait before handling and feeding

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchPreacher View Post
    No idea of anyone is still watching this but she has fully shed from what I can tell, beautiful colors and seems comfortable. I was just wondering how long I should wait before handling and feeding
    You haven't really told us much about her...like how long have you had her & how many times she has eaten for you. Eating is job #1, handling can stress new snakes into NOT doing job #1, & we generally recommend NO handling until after a new snake has eaten (easily) for you 3 consecutive times so as not to interrupt their feeding instincts.

Do some ppl not follow this "rule"? of course... but just don't say no one told you, if or when you have trouble getting her to eat.

Some snakes are more easily intimidated (by handling & by being in new surroundings) than others...BPs are among the very shy (easily intimidated) snakes & can be very picky eaters. But for any & all snakes, remember they rely on instincts for survival, & the only thing that picks them up in the wild is normally a predator about to EAT them.
    So...if you were terrified, would YOU be thinking about having lunch, or fleeing & hiding? Same goes for your snake- we are big scary giants, & it takes time for them to learn.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-12-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast