Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,767

1 members and 2,766 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Uncommon/Underrated Snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    The Antaresia Pythons. Childrens, Spotted, Stimsons and Pygmy. Such cool pythons. Like miniature retics. Seems like they should be more popular in the US. They aren't very expensive, easy to keep. Gorgeous animals.

I was going to buy a childrens, but it wouldnt let you hold it. It would try to bite all the time.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-07-2019),cletus (10-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

The Antaresia Pythons. Childrens, Spotted, Stimsons and Pygmy. Such cool pythons. Like miniature retics. Seems like they should be more popular in the US. They aren't very expensive, easy to keep. Gorgeous animals.

Yes! As I mentioned briefly above, my spotted python is a great pet in a "pint size". Docile to handle & feisty to feed easily on frozen-thawed mice, & a fairly active
    climber so she's fun to watch. Highly recommended pets that don't need huge cages (30-40 gal. size is fine, & yes, glass tanks can work fine).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

cletus (10-07-2019),Craiga 01453 (10-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes! As I mentioned briefly above, my spotted python is a great pet in a "pint size". Docile to handle & feisty to feed easily on frozen-thawed mice, & a fairly active
    climber so she's fun to watch. Highly recommended pets that don't need huge cages (30-40 gal. size is fine, & yes, glass tanks can work fine).
    Very cool. I think there is def a Spotted in my future.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-07-2019)

Thanks

Two species I would like are Bismark Ringed Pythons and False Water Cobras.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TopazEye For This Useful Post:

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bullsnakes and Gopher, they are present in the industry but not enough yet they are large colubrids with personality, I think the main issue is that a lot of people are uncomfortable around them since they are very vocal and have that "mean/aggressive look" which is all bluff.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-07-2019),cletus (10-07-2019),Craiga 01453 (10-07-2019),John1982 (10-09-2019),paulh (10-07-2019),TopazEye (10-07-2019)

Thanks

Very cool. I think there is def a Spotted in my future.
    Mine is a "granite phase" (not that it matters); I actually like the normal patterns better, but it didn't make a bit of difference to me, mine was a yearling "rescue".*
    The granite phase is more of a dark greenish color with speckling, and very nice iridescence. She's smaller than many adult corn snakes.

*She had refused to make kills (pinky mice!) & the breeder was so annoyed he talked about sticking her in the freezer, & he wasn't kidding. I mention this so you know
    that as hatchlings in the wild, these start off on lizards, & only later get brave enough to tackle small mice. Though I suggest people don't feed new snakes until they
    settle in, in all honesty, the very afternoon she arrived (shipped) I could tell she was very hungry, so I didn't follow my own advice, lol. She ate 3 f/t pinkies quickly &
    would have taken more but I didn't allow her to...THEN I let her settle in quietly to rest & digest. She has never refused food & has a strong response, as if killing it...
    to my mind, she's a perfect pet. In 10 years, I've only had one accidental nip from her, my fault for not identifying my hand as not incoming food. She's usually in "food
    mode" lol, but she's done public meet & greets to perfection, as do all my rat snakes. No bad behavior, they "change channels" very well, in my only experience w/ these.

She needs warmer cage temps. compared to my rat snakes, but nothing at all difficult. She uses UTH and basking heat both, & I don't bother to humidify her cage, I just
    give her a humid hide at all times, which she uses often. (it's half-heated by the UTH also) I like that these climb & you see them out, not hiding like BPs often do. That's
    also why I like rat snakes so much...they're more active so you see them in action.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

cletus (10-07-2019)

Thanks
    One thing I'll add, in comparing these to the rat snakes I love: they're all constrictors, but the spotted python has (or uses) way more grip strength in the
    course of handling. While my Trans Pecos rat snakes will "constrict" their f/t mice before eating, they seem to almost "tip-toe" thru their cage branches or
    when handled, whereas my little spotted python is not about to lose her grip at any time. One time she decided she wanted to hang onto my long hair & it's
    not something I'll let her repeat, lol...she was hard to get out, whereas my Trans Pecos would just slide on thru. Funny how different snakes can be from
    each other. That's why one is never enough...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

cletus (10-07-2019),TopazEye (10-07-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Australian spotted pythons are in this category too, though some have said theirs are nippy,
    I heard this too, but the only thing mine is nippy with is his food. Or the rare occasions he thinks I'm his food. The being nippy aspect is one of the best things, as far as I'm concerned, because that little trash compactor will eat any and every time.

Not that I would do it mind you, but I suspect he would even eat out of my hands if I wanted him to do so. He seems not to have a care about the world around him once his mouth is on a mouse.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scobro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scobro View Post
    I heard this too, but the only thing mine is nippy with is his food. Or the rare occasions he thinks I'm his food. The being nippy aspect is one of the best things, as far as I'm concerned, because that little trash compactor will eat any and every time.

Not that I would do it mind you, but I suspect he would even eat out of my hands if I wanted him to do so. He seems not to have a care about the world around him once his mouth is on a mouse.
    For sure. Most rat snakes don't have to be "asked twice" to eat either, & years ago, my first Trans Pecos DID eat out of my hands...very carefully, she'd take it from
    between my fingers, without pouncing & as if "she knew" to be careful. (?) If I put the same food on the palm of my hand, my scent was stronger & she'd not take it. She
    amazed me, since most snakes wouldn't care one bit if we get in the way of their food, lol. It sure wouldn't stop my spotted python...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

cletus (10-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Thanks for the info!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast