Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,959

0 members and 2,959 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Incubation issues?

I'm afraid I might have messed up but I'm looking for help. First clutch.
    8 healthy, fist sized, juicy eggs. Incubating in a home made styrofoam cooler incubator. @89°f. Sponges in water with a light diffuser where the eggs sit on. Seran wrap covered.
    Candled day 1 and veins look strong. Day 14 veins look stronger, eggs still plump, no mold. A bit of water droplets from the plastic wrap which I changed and dab dried the eggs. Checked bi weekly the same minus candling and on day 56 I planned to cut... But I candled and it doesn't look like there's much in the eggs.
    I've been told that the humidity was too high and they are swimming and now I'm terrified that I might have messed up the whole clutch.
    I saw a couple of them move a bit sitting at the bottom of the egg but that's it.
    Opinions? Advice?
    I realize I'm probably going to get shredded to some extent but I'm seeking help... And possibly reassurance but I'm not feeling too good about this.
    For visual... YouTube Lu Ballz.
    **LU BALLZ** (IG. @lu_ballz)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure how the humidity can be too hight since it should be a close as possible to 100%?

Now should you have condensation dripping down? No at least not until the last few days which at that time is pretty normal.

Now something you shouldn't do is check bi-weekly there is ABOSLUTELY no need to check on your egg and candle them through incubation, you put them in the incubator and you forget about them, opening the incubator and worse the egg tub serve no purpose is is counter productive.

I would not cut for several reasons, first you do not have the experience, second until you know for sure when a clutch is due to hatch at a certain temp in YOUR incubator do not cut, let them pip and cut the rest within 24 hours

If you cut too early it is that much more time they will have to dry out and be exposed to bacteria.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 10-07-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-07-2019),dr del (10-07-2019),Sirus Uno (10-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    I agree with Deb, no such thing as too humid. Imo, you're panicking for nothing. It is very hard to see them by candling, especially early on because it is mostly fluid all the way to the end of incubation so the only way you could see them is if they get right in the perfect spot up against the side of the egg to give you a shadow. Don't worry about that. Just leave them alone and maybe just peak at day 56, do not cut until one pips on it's own, since this is your first time with this setup, you have no idea when they will be ready. Just be patient, at this point you can't save them if they are bad but if they are still good you can definitely kill them by messing around with them so just leave them be until they start pipping. Good luck.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

dr del (10-07-2019),Sirus Uno (10-07-2019)

Thanks

Re: Incubation issues?

Thank you for responding!
    To clarify, it really wasn't biweekly exact... But I did go in and without opening the tub I just used my camera to make sure they weren't soaked or going bad and left them alone. I only candled 3 times... Day 1, 14, and last week. Today is day 59.
    Thank you once again for the consult.
    Last edited by Sirus Uno; 10-07-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks
    So I checked them when I got home from work and they were pipping! 4 of them were poking their heads out, 2 were making cuts and 2 were still sealed. I cut a window for them and it looks like one of them didn't make it... No response when touched. I'll let them all come out on their own but I'm super excited and extremely relieved! Thank you guys for responding. I definitely was starting to panic and feel discouraged.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirus Uno For This Useful Post:

cincy (10-08-2019)