Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,804

2 members and 2,802 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Ball python twitching when I touch him

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    The third video is when I was really starting to worry, he had started doing his twitching and jerking, off camera of course. He was moving really fast like he wanted to get away from the pain or something. At this point I was only petting him very softly as I didn't want to hurt him more if he was injured. Hope these videos help to determine what's wrong.
    He’s not trying to get away from pain he’s probably trying to get away from you. To me he looked completely normal. Just looked like he wanted to be left alone which is typical of snakes. They don’t like handling they tolerate it. Some days they’re more tolerant than others, don’t take it personally. Almost all reptiles are like this. Be careful anthropomorphizing your animals, it’s easier to read them when you understand how their brains actually work. Certain behaviors might look similar to a humans but they’re not similar at all. Snakes don’t like massages, they ultimately want to be left alone to... well snake I guess haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (10-06-2019),Valyndris (10-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    The second video is when I started to notice something was off. It shows how I massaged him, at first I thought he was waggling his tail because he was enjoying his massages like he normally does but he was waggling a lot harder than normal and as you can see when I stroke him, he does give a few little twitches. I didn't get any of the big hard twitches on camera, just these little ones.
    Snakes aren’t dogs smh I think your thoughtful behaviors are actually quite detrimental. Snakes don’t want to be pet/massaged. Petting a snake is only enjoyable for the human. It’s ok if the snake isn’t stressed but it’s not something that should be done often. If you want an affectionate animal invest in a pup imo I don’t mean to be rude but thinking a snake is wagging it’s tail bothers me. Colubrids will “wag” their tails but as a warning to be left alone. You might be handling him too much and he just wants peace and quiet.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Kira (10-06-2019),MissterDog (10-06-2019),Valyndris (10-06-2019)

Thanks
    Just took Crowley out, he seems fine today, I put him in his room and within 15 minutes he went in his favorite hide in there, he does that often where he gets up early and hangs out in there before doing his missions. He's got a heat pad to make it 80 degrees in that hide and I have a humidifier in there for the perfect setup for him. I haven't tried to massage him but he was fine with normal handling. Glad he's okay.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    Snakes aren’t dogs smh I think your thoughtful behaviors are actually quite detrimental. Snakes don’t want to be pet/massaged. Petting a snake is only enjoyable for the human. It’s ok if the snake isn’t stressed but it’s not something that should be done often. If you want an affectionate animal invest in a pup imo I don’t mean to be rude but thinking a snake is wagging it’s tail bothers me. Colubrids will “wag” their tails but as a warning to be left alone. You might be handling him too much and he just wants peace and quiet.

If there is one thing a snake DOESN'T like it's being grabbed or restricted in any way. The snake appears to be in "flight mode" when you grab at him.. Also, if the snake were in pain you would probably be hissed at and then eventually struck at doing that over and over again... This clearly looks like a snake that is not happy about whats going on in my opinion.. I will support the sentiment that this is a snake not a cat or a dog.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

Kira (10-08-2019),MarkL1561 (10-08-2019),MissterDog (10-08-2019),Valyndris (10-08-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Do you have a "thermostat" on that fogger? If you have a sensor that measures humidity and turns on the fogger automatically you should probably be ok, but you dont ever want alot of condensation to be in the cage. Some condensation on the sides is ok, but water on the floor, or inside his hide should not be there. Too high of humidity can easily cause an RI, or scale rot. Personally I just mist my Snakes every other day. this keeps the humidity in 50% to 70%. I keep it closer to 50% when not in shed, and closer to 70% when in shed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

MarkL1561 (10-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    Do you have a "thermostat" on that fogger? If you have a sensor that measures humidity and turns on the fogger automatically you should probably be ok, but you dont ever want alot of condensation to be in the cage. Some condensation on the sides is ok, but water on the floor, or inside his hide should not be there. Too high of humidity can easily cause an RI, or scale rot. Personally I just mist my Snakes every other day. this keeps the humidity in 50% to 70%. I keep it closer to 50% when not in shed, and closer to 70% when in shed.
    Ya, it's on a "thermostat" for humidity, I don't know what it's called either. I fixed the issue where he can bring his hide to where it condensates. I get a bit of water on the side and the fogger drips in a water bowl, that's pretty much it. I had his hide where it wouldn't get wet but sometimes he'd drag it to the wet area, which I fixed by adding an empty water bowl in the way. Usually when he did this I'd take him out that night and dry off his hide but decided to leave it as he could use the humidity for his shed.

I'm glad he is back to normal after that night.

For everyone saying he probably doesn't like being touched, here is a video when Crowley was loving his massage. He was doing the happy waggle and flexes around my wrist so I can massage harder, which I don't even he wants me to. He's not trying to get away. I don't have videos of this but he especially loves massages from my husband, he'll go right to his hand and hook on so he can get the royal massage.

Thanks

Dude... it’s a snake. Please respect that it’s a snake and not a puppy. In the end though it’s not my animal so do whatever you like. I love my animals as well but I realize the limitations of the reptilian brain. Reptiles do not love their owners and they do not like being handled. They’re wild (rather simple minded) animals that we keep at home for our enjoyment. Personally I think it’s best to respect that they just want to be left alone. Handling is good as long as it’s not stressful and to me it seems that you’re making your sessions pretty stressful. I really do believe you’re misinterpreting and anthropomorphizing the snakes behavior to his detriment. I’m not really sure why you decided on a snake as a pet when you so adamantly want something affectionate. Snakes are not affectionate in any way. We just anthropomorphize their behaviors to make us feel better. It’s not dangerous if we’re aware that we’re doing it but you seem to truly believe your snake is human reincarnate or something. To me this is a basic understanding of biology and is needed for proper husbandry of these animals. So the next time your snake seems “off” it’s most likely what you’re doing to it that is causing it.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (10-09-2019),Kira (10-08-2019),MissterDog (10-08-2019),Moose84 (10-10-2019),sur3fir3 (10-08-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12