Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,130

2 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frog Forests

Thanks

Re: Frog Forests

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/..._fig1_10781663

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks

The Gray Army update post Christian...

It's been a little while since I've given an update about the frogs of the Frog Forests. I just wanted to take this time to explain that I have moved Bane into the 20 gallon quarantine tank that everybody else is in now. It was sad moving him but it was necessary to have everyone being together moving forward. The hope is the fecal exam will be negative.

The Gray Army has gotten much better and Melania has also begun the process of getting better. She was on a month-and-a-half without eating. It was one of the scariest times keeping her. It really looked like she was going to pass away but just about 2 weeks ago she began to start eating crickets and other prey items. So the two frogs that were in the worst condition have come alive and are seeming to thrive right now.

The hope is the Gray Army will be negative for the parasite and they will then be able to hibernate while the Dumpy Family gets dewormed and moved into a new setup.

The Dumpy Family is also doing very well. They have been eating and putting on good weight but also just thriving. There's not too much to report on these guys because they seem to be very unproblematic.

The Gray Army will be joined by another group when the wake up from hibernation. They will be joined by my Squirrel Tree Frog and a Copes Gray Tree Frog. These were acquired in the south and the goal is to get a female squirrel tree frog for Florence. So the Frog Forests will soon become even more diverse. As of now we continue to mourn the loss of Christian but we also have optimism with the way the gray tree frogs have rebounded that we can look to the future and give better care and we can see a day without parasites. I am looking forward to what is coming and we will not let Christian pass in vein.

Thanks

Here is an update video updating the status of the Gray Army
    https://youtu.be/byozD9845s0

Thanks

Just another update on the status of the Frogs in the Frog Forests...

It's been an exciting week to be the caretaker of these frogs! They continue to give me wonderful moments to record them and to observe them. I am pleased to see everyone's doing fairly well as of tonight. There may be some concerns on the horizon though.

Let's start with the Dumpy Family. They look like they might have a problem because they look a little more pink underneath then usual. They are eating like pigs so no reason to worry about loss of appetite. The good thing is the Dumpy Family is going to the vets Wednesday to be examined and we will get to the bottom of this. They will have a stool sample go out and they will soon be getting a bigger new home (Exo Terra XL 36x18x36 or 100 Gallon.) When the results come back from the vets office I will make sure to update you on their status. I am willing to make any change necessary to fix the problem.

The Gray Army loosely looks good. Meredith is on top and she knows it. Melania is coming for the spot though. Melania actually has eaten the most out of any tree frog from either enclosure. She needs to she is still thin but putting good weight on now. Bane is still slowly recovering from his deworming so he's not as active but I'm monitoring him in case anything looks odd. Dante eats some and calls daily so he's been doing good. Overall the Gray Army looks to be good with a slight watch over Bane.
    The baby Copes Gray Tree Frog who has recently been introduced is also doing great and I have no complaint with that frog either. So 5 frogs from the Gray Army technically are great.

The concern is with their ally Florence the male squirrel tree frog. He is in a different setup and just seems to be a lot more slower then usual. It could be the weather changing and I've also simulated a dry season inside the tank but he just seems like something is odd so I'm not too sure yet what my options are just because I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing with the Dumpy Family after the vet. If I have to quarantine them then I would not want to have another quarantine tank if I don't have to for Florence at the time. if things start to take a turn for the worse then I will definitely get him fixed up as soon as possible in a quarantine setup, but right now there's a lot of different things that could be the reason why he's a lot slower and when I say a lot slower he's just sleeping more which is most likely because of the weather, but I'm just concerned because he's not eating as much. Florence is supposed to go in with the Gray Army at least that is the goal, so there's not really a lot of danger for the animals of the Frog Forests there is just a bit of concern with some of the smaller details surrounding them.

as you know it is about to be the week of Thanksgiving and my goal is to have a special episode including these animals. I have a lot of interesting things that I want to cover along with the vet visit for the whites tree frogs. I am hoping to show you guys how I can identify each specific gray tree frog and also I would like to give an update on the other frogs like the baby Cope's gray tree frog and Florence. Another thing that I'm trying to make into a tradition for the channel is a battle between tree frogs and flying insects. I do have a flying insect in my possession and I'm awaiting it to become an adult hopefully before the holiday so I can take a nice video and keep the tradition going. I also want to hand feed Max, Spurgeon, and Jeremiah because I was not able to for the recent video that just came out.

I hope that you guys are enjoying this epic storyline of two different tree frog families and all of the real life drama that comes with them. If you haven't checked out the recent episodes you can watch the playlist for the story line below and let me know what you think about the Frog Forests!

There are many amazing things still to come with this storyline of tree frogs so keep checking in for updates as I tried to update the status of these animals weekly if I can.

https://youtu.be/sxs6jxz1628

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I hope they get the all clear from the vet.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

AAronCap (12-02-2019)

Thanks

Some great news for the Tree Frogs of the Frog Forests...

While the Dumpy Family is being quarantined and the Gray Army looks to rebound from their last go with the parasites we have a lot to cover. There is going to be a shocker at the end of this thread that will hopefully be interesting to you and doesn't effect the health of these frogs in any way.

So as we left off a while ago the Dumpy Family is doing well and they get their medicine tomorrow for the supposed final round of dewormer. They haven't been happy in quarantine protocol, but who is? I have been working to put solid weight on them as of the past two months. The Dumpy Family is doing well and have been eating regularly many times a week. I think we will have a video coming out that these guys will be featured in. We are going to have to wait to get fecal samples and get the results back sometime hopefully in January. The new build for the Dumpy Family is set to start in March.

As for the Gray Army they have gained the most weight that any animals have over a short period of time. Melania the tree frog who we thought would die now weighs the most and is the key figure of the Gray Army. She is truly an amazing animal. Along with her success comes a surprise. Meredith is still heavy and in great shape. I said before it's very hard to have animals in the same tank that are dominant, but gray tree frogs seem to be able to make it work. Both Melania and Meredith are on top. It's very interesting to watch but they snuggle up under the light together, and they do not seem to try to starve one another. I think with an even larger enclosure they will be even more personable. So Bane may get more active. He has slowed down I believe because he is unhappy and he looks like he misses the 125 gallon he once live Inside. Bane will hopefully get his new home (the 67 gallon exo terra) and once the parasites are gone he can enjoy his life back in a bioactive enclosure. But for now we all wait. The Gray Army all has gained immense weight since being dewormed.
    Dante is 12g
    Bane is 20g
    Meredith is 25g
    Melania is 26g

This weight for the three out of four is really good. 20g is a good weight for a gray tree frog. Dante is much smaller then everyone else and he is younger, so if he can get to 15 it would be great. In one month Melania gained 6g which is very impressive.

As we close this update with patience, optimism, and weight gain we also have one more announcement.

After meeting with my crew and my team we have decided how we are going to tell the stories of these animals lives. As I am working with and focusing on the Pennsylvania woodlands and forests we thought it would be best to group animals together that were native, and to group the non-native animals together for many reasons. The Dumpy Family will retain the story of the Frog Forests. The Gray Army has plans being the featured group of a different story. I have said the squirrel tree frog and baby Cope's were going to join this storyline and they still are. These two frogs are not going to live with the Gray Army. The Frog Forests will gain a southern setup called the Pine Barrens Frog Forest. Along with the Dumpy Family they will be the featured frogs of the story. But frogs will not be the only animals starring in this story. The Skinks who will be gaining the 125 gallon that will live in a Pine Barrens biome will also join the story. So we will be featuring forests and even a specific forest the Pine Barrens in this storyline. So once the building begins we will close this thread out and will focus on this new storyline focusing on the exotic animals. The Gray Army will hopefully be hibernating for me so they will be unable to star in their storyline. I do not want to ruin the plans for them because they will be a part of something very special and important to the brand.

I will post again with the status of the members of the Frog Forests and their weights. Good news to follow.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-04-2020)

Thanks

New video featuring the Gray Army and possibly a video featuring The Dumpy Family coming...

I set up my camera, I got the bugs, and I handed them to the gray tree frogs! I am happy to say I recorded a feeding video of the Gray Army. I will show myself feeding them waxmoths and black soldier flies. It would be really cool to plan a feeding video where all of the insects are released at once and the tree frogs chase them down, but I don't think it can happen in quarantine. It just appears to be too difficult. With that being said I can use this time to practice on getting close ups and working on my skills with the camera. That's exactly what I did. So you can expect possibly the most clear shots of the gray tree frogs! I caught Bane and Dante hanging out for a little bit and I got Melania all green climbing at the top of the tank with the lid off.

The best thing for the Gray Army is that they may soon get to hibernate for this winter. While they sleep it will give me time to get the musical tanks situation started. The Gray Army is one of two groups I need to sleep to begin this process of moving and building tanks. The Gray Army is going to hopefully wake up to a well done Exo Terra Terrarium built specifically for them. I really can't wait to showcase them in their upcoming home. These little frogs are going to bring some great content to the channel and on here with hopefully great picture and clips of them in their environment. All of this sounds great, but first they I believe need to pass the next fecal exam in order to accomplish this. Until then I'm building their weight so they can store their fat for the hibernation process. I'm not actually sure if anyone has a weight standard for these frogs, but I'm trying to get Melania and Meredith (females) to 30g which is one FAT gray tree frog, but it may be normal for a wild one to gain weight like this before hibernation. As for the males Dante and Bane I will have to think about it. I think Bane weighing 21-25g would be great because males don't need as much weight because they are smaller. Dante being much younger I am unsure for him because he's a small frog to begin with. I will run this past my professor at school and the exotic vet who sees the Gray Army.

A blessing could be they all get through the fecal exam and I can begin this process for them.

A little bit about what they will be grouped with in the upcoming storyline for the PA Woods Community. If you didn't know I am preparing a room for native animals, and I have a hallway next to the native species room for the exotic animals. The Gray Army is actually not going to be grouped with either so to speak. The toads will make their cameos in the story time from time, but actually I am preparing the third part. Outside I am building an artificial vernal pool, but this pool isn't even associated with the Gray Army. I am actually preparing to build a small greenhouse next to the vernal pool. No the Gray Army will not be living in this because it's way too hot for one. But the next group of creatures will.

I will be keeping Eastern Mason Bees inside the greenhouse! Not only will they pollinate the trees and plants around the neighborhood, but some of the males I will use as a feeder for the Gray Army. These are not just any ordinary feeder because I respect them enough to build them a greenhouse and I will be hibernating the cocoons in the refrigerator over the winter as well! These bees will be documented in their habitat on plants and in the greenhouse. Only a handful will be given up because they are so valuable and they have a large task of caretaking for the trees and the neighborhood! The Mason Bees are a really docile species and the males do not have a stinger. They are solitary but will live in wood holes next to each other. They only live around 2 months as bees, so once their season is done in the fall I will collect the cocoons (bee larvae) and store them in the refrigerator until the next spring. While the Gray Army will be joined by the Eastern Mason Bees this is not the entire group for this storyline. I also do not think I'll have everything to go for the bees this spring, but we will see. I am actually preparing for them and I started a year ago researching for them. As I was saying the Gray Army and Mason Bees will not be alone, but now you know that this storyline goes beyond the glass walls of a terrarium.

The next update will feature more of the Dumpy Family!

Thanks

Did you know that you can hand feed Gray Tree Frogs? Check this out!
    https://youtu.be/zsIap_Rgip8

Thanks

To checkout the Dumpy Family checkout the link below
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Thanks

Please checkout the link below to follow the Gray Army to their new thread on here

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12