Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,874

0 members and 2,874 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frog Forests

Thanks

Frog Forests

I am working on a project that will display two very different enclosures focused on two different needs for the specific animals. The direction I am moving next is centered about creating a biome. The first (or second reveal if you have been following my "Woods" build) is the construction of two Forest vivariums.

I have put a lot of thought into this decision and I believe it is very necessary with what the other two enclosures will offer to have these two enclosures compliment one another, and to both be the design of a forest.

These are polar opposite enclosures and animals that are from different continents. I am anticipating these to be the least problematic enclosures as well.

So let's introduce the animals that will be in the next series "Frog Forests"

The group I will first introduce is a group that has been around since I have gotten back into the hobby a while ago. They have appeared in many videos and photos and are a familiar face to everyone who has read my updates in the past. They were a part of a specific group once called the Five Lined Dumpy Family. I am going to disband the grouping of this and will be including the Dumpy Family (White's Tree Frogs) as members of the forest biome. White's Tree Frogs are a great pet and they are native to Indonesia and Australia. These frogs are an incredible and calm pet. The Dumpy Family has been very typical with no real problems and are very fun to feed and work with. They have a build coming up soon. I will be upgrading them from the Exo Terra 24x18x36 to the largest 36x18x36. It's only a foot but I think they need the length. This will be around 100 gallons for the three tree frogs. Max is the only female and will be the animal from this enclosure that we focus on the most. She is the biggest and she is the leader of the Dumpy Family. Max will be an important part of the forest. She will display the importance of protecting the environment because she uses it to survive. She is the same color as the leaves high in the forests. Without them she wouldn't be able to have stealth and their species would be in trouble. The Dumpy Family is going to be a familiar face and will be a very interesting addition to the forests.

The other forest enclosure is from another familiar face. Wellsboro the "Golden Toad" will be getting an Exo Terra 36x18x24. He will be the ambassador for the temperate forest of North America. Wellsboro is going to be the leader of his enclosure which will have most likely two or three toads. We could have the Dumpy Family and some nickname for a toad family, but it might take some time to figure it out. The toads will be a reminder of protecting the environment. Toads are the color of the forest floor and need to have soil to hide, dig, hunt and hibernate in. If we pollute or deforest many areas then these among other animals would be without a home. Wellsboro will be a very different leader then Max. He is not interested in company like the semi social tree frogs. He has lived alone and appears to be a very good predator who might outcompete other toads to the point of starvation. He and his toad sociological warfare will be another high point while showcasing life from inside the Frog Forests.

Two enclosures

White's Tree Frogs (Max, Spurgeon, Jeremiah)
    Fin (Male Betta Fish)

American Toads (Wellsboro, Unnamed Toad)

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

Bodie (10-05-2019),Bogertophis (10-03-2019),dr del (10-03-2019),Sonny1318 (10-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Wow, that's awesome. thanks for sharing!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AAronCap (10-03-2019)

Thanks

Re: Frog Forests

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Wow, that's awesome. thanks for sharing!
    I am actually working on a video as we speak!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    That’s really cool, if I had the discipline I would love to keep frogs and toads. I catch toads all the time. We have a private lake where I live. Frogs, turtles and the surrounding area toads and an occasional tortoise. Thanks for sharing.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks

Here is the first video from Frog Forests

https://youtu.be/dnWzMvLgrRs

Thanks

Some good news for the animals in the Frog Forests...

I got the results back and Wellsboro was negative for any parasites! This is the first time I have owned him that he is clean. It's been a long battle for him and he seems to have won. With him being clean I am going to begin preparing him for hibernation soon. Because of unforseen circumstances that I will talk about in my other thread, now Wellsboro will be first to hibernate. This is to insure that he is far away and out of the grasp of the parasite as I begin to finally eradicate it. The next video will talk about him and his battle for survival to now getting to be the first to hibernate and then to in the spring get his first home prepared for him. He's earned everything so I'm happy for him.

The Dumpy Family is doing well. They will still be in the video coming next. Everyone is doing well here and they are living life as usual. The Dumpy Family will be the first to move into a new home this winter. I'm hoping around Christmas to be able to build the home. Probably sometime around January. After the enclosure is done and moved into place I will let it settle for a little bit. During that time Max, Spurgeon and Jeremiah will all be dewormed and thoroughly examined to be sure the parasite is eradicated from the Dumpy Family. So as Wellsboro sleeps and then the Dumpy Family is isolated away from the parasite I will be hoping to finish it off on working on the last enclosure. That is another story.

If you couldn't tell by now the next episode will feature the battle with parasites. This has been almost the death of all the frogs and toads and it still is alive and attacking them now. I have a strategy to defeat it that is very unorthodox. Hibernation of the native animals and quarantine and movement of the exotic animals. The battle for Wellsboro and the Dumpy Family will be highlighted. The sad news is the war still continues, buy there is a hope to finally win and move on to the next chapter in the lives of the animals and especially those who live in the Frog Forests.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

dr del (10-12-2019)

Thanks

New video coming tomorrow and I'm about to give some details...

So the new video is coming tomorrow morning and there is something that is going to shake up the rest of the PA Woods Community. Before it comes out I'm exclusively sharing with the forums more in depth of an explanation then the video. So because I found the parasite still living in everyone basically of the Gray Army, they are going to have to vacate their place in the other series called The Woods. This was going to be a 125 gallon home for them along with living side by side my toads. This didn't work out and now they will have to live in their own setup. I also factored in looking at the 125 gallon and it was more so made for a terrestrial species. So I'll give the Gray Army their setup now. Basically Wellsboro and the Unnamed Toad are going to switch the Gray Army with homes. The toads will all live together and the Gray Army will be together. I am not going to spoil every surprise about the situation though. there are a lot more surprises whenever it comes to the toads and their home.

To give one of the most important details about this whole video and this whole post the main thing I want to get across is now the Dumpy Family and the Gray Army will be in the same series and they will be making up the Frog Forests.

The video will feature all three groups meaning the toads, the gray tree frogs, and the whites. You will get an opportunity to hear more about what I was just commenting on but I also want to get everybody excited because it will be the first-ever series featuring only tree frogs. So if you are a huge tree frog lover this is going to be your series!

I just wanted to give a small update and give a little bit more detail on the video and also about the future for these three groups of animals

Thanks

Checkout the video discussing the parasite and more on the future of the Frog Forests

https://youtu.be/tIcka7E33TQ

Thanks

Frog Forests has become an all tree frog story...

Finally for tree frog lovers of all kinds there will be a story highlighting these awesome animals and the unique abilities they have. Already we have looked at the animals being featured in this story as well as a look at the battle with parasites. It's been hard finding something to really talk about next because the Gray Army is fighting the parasites right now and there is not much going on. I am very excited that sometime soon when the native frogs and toads sleep for hibernation the Dumpy Family will get dewormed and be given their new home.

They will be heavily featured during the move and it's going to be a lot of fun showing their build. The Gray Army will be getting some allies in their home who will not hibernate so their tank will be active all year also. This will be a very exciting build taking place after the Dumpy Family get their setup. So over this winter we will be seeing something very unique with all the tree frogs getting final homes, dewormed and we will explore more into their lives.

I'm not giving away who the allies are for the Gray Army, but it will make the enclosure more interesting and the fact that it will be active all year will make the Frog Forests more enjoyable. I have some great first encounters for the tree frogs and new feeders.

Currently I have been working on a way to display the Gray Army more and to show what they have been up to. I think the next video will feature more on the maintenance of owning a captive frog and the next part about the parasites. I hope you are as excited as I am to see more of the tree frogs from the Frog Forests.

Thanks

We have some Very Good and Very Bad News...

This week was supposed to be an update video and an update post discussing the care for the Gray Army and Dumpy Family, but that did not happen. Instead of that we had a serious event that has completely changed the PA Woods Community.

As you know if you've followed my posts about all of my frogs and toads is that they all have a nematode parasite that has continued to attack them for some around 2 years and for others over a year. The medication the dewormer is very strong and can harm a frog just as much as help.

Bane and Melania both have the parasite. Bane was positive and Melania showed physical signs of having it with a decrease in weight and refusal to eat for over a month. So with them living with the other tree frogs it was in their best interest to be treated. Sadly this didn't help everyone.

Bane looks to have bounced back from the parasites and newly named tree frogs Dante and Meredith also bounced back. They all look great and may be very healthy right now. Melania yesterday began eating again and looks to rebound. However I have some very very bad news.

Christian did not make it and he is the first animal to lose the battle to the parasite. This was a devastating reminder as to what time of year is coming and how this parasite is still here. Christian was one of my original tree frogs rescued from a home that was bleached and taken down (he lived by a suburban swimming pool.)

It's devastating because here was a tree frog who looked so beautiful and I had initially thought was on his way to being worm free. There were high hopes for Christian. He was going to be a huge part of showcasing the Frog Forests. Christian was an ambassador to all Gray tree frogs. His personality and attitude were unique. He was always the little guy being smaller then Bane (gray caught with him.)

The goal was to hibernate Christian and to allow more little baby Christians to run around having his genes and making some very impressive offspring. This dream will die with him. He was a part of so much and was always a bright spot for me as his keeper. He will be deeply missed and those of us who know him are mourning his loss from the parasites too. Even though he was quarantined we tried to make the best of it for him and he was just singing about 2-3 weeks ago. This is a huge blow as one of the most dynamic personalities is lost.

While the mourning continues there is a job to be done with the remaining 4 gray tree frogs. Maybe we couldn't save Christian but he will be the reminder of what we are fighting for and why we fight hard. Nobody else should pass on as everyone even the toads are doing well. It's going to be difficult having to plan every month a fecal test for multiple animals, but we are going to do 3-4 tests and then try to hibernate the Gray Army and Toads. When we know they at least appear to be clean we will as I said before treat the Dumpy Family and Skink Dynasty. We will fight all winter while the native frogs sleep. Hopefully we can destroy this parasite and at least rid the exotics of it.

The next goal will be to chase this parasite like trying to run someone down in a marathon. We will be methodical, patient, but still aggressive. Regardless of the timeframe we know we are still fighting and now we have Christian to dedicate the fight to. Even though he lost his battle we know the war is not over. Now is the time to launch a severe strike to the nematodes. It's hard battling something you can't see and hoping to win. But with having faith and believing in these frogs and toads there is a desire and an urgent motivation to push back and fight harder.

I'm sorry to the PA Woods Community for this loss and it's a deep blow losing such an important frog. He was truly loved and cherished and he will not be forgotten by me. I have a feeling I let him down, myself, and the PA Woods Community. It's been a very difficult time with this. I will give even more of an effort from here on out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast