Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,002

4 members and 1,998 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermostat

Thanks

Thermostat

I was planning on ordering this today but will it work with a heat lamp? The tank did have a heating pad on it but I didn’t like it and removed it and would like to keep using the heat lamp. And do I need to buy a timer to go with this or is this good on its own?
    And will it work with my fogger?

Advice would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Parsons483; 10-02-2019 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Wrong picture uploaded

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Is it a pulse thermostat? Most of these are pulse (on/off), which don't work well with lamps or CHE. For lamps, dimmers work best.

Thanks

Re: Thermostat

Dimmers are cheaper and work fine for lamps.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

Thanks
    That's exactly what I have, it is a pulse thermostat but you can set how many degrees off till it turns back on again. I use it for heat pads and it works great. Not sure where you'd put the prob for a heat lamp though. It won't work with a fogger as it only goes by heat. I wish I could be of more help but I don't use mine for the heat lamps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (10-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    That's exactly what I have, it is a pulse thermostat but you can set how many degrees off till it turns back on again. I use it for heat pads and it works great. Not sure where you'd put the prob for a heat lamp though. It won't work with a fogger as it only goes by heat. I wish I could be of more help but I don't use mine for the heat lamps.
    I dont think its a pulse just an fyi. I have a few thermostats one being a cheapo vivosun very similar to this cheap model. Mine is absolutely non proportional for a fact. I personally believe these all to be similar china made n just rebranded. There is basically on/off when it comes to mine i can set day/ ight temps all that but its not pulse or dimming.
    Pulse would give it the ability to get to temps and stay there with less temp swings by pushing full power in bursts basically. and then dimming thermostats allow it to achieve temps then dim to stay there more efficiently, almost like cooking something once u have it all to temps u put it on simmer to just stay at that temp instead of getting hotter n hotter.
    Its probably an acceptable deveice. Ive noticed with mine 3 weeks after having it the farenheit option doesnt work. In f it will not send power to the outlet for whatever reason. I need to use c and i can not use the day/night mode or it does the same thing. I have a thermometer in the same spot as the prob to double check it as i dont trust it but so far its been doing well. I did talk to vivosun and they said they wiuld rellace it and have since not heard back from them after they said that. So vivosun will never get a penny from me n i recommend staying away from that brand and saving ur money for something better which is clearly a better option. I dont have racks though so im not buying a 200 dollar thermostat for each tank which makes no sense at all.
    If u wanna go really cheap ur best bet is to skip the thermostat n get a cheap dimmer switch put a thermometer in the same place u would put the prob for thermostat and monitor till u get it right. Very simple very very effective and you even plug the switch into a timmer n have it set if its always warm in the toom during the day or whatever point is there are other options they just need to be monitored much more than relying on equipment.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tmacsballs For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (10-03-2019)

Thanks

To answer ur question it will absolutely work with a heat lamp. However the only problem is the prob will need to be literally laying in exactly the spot you dont want to get overheated. For instance it will need to be right in the middle of the animals basking spot. Its really not recommended fpr this purpose as ur lamp will literally be turning on an off a million times a day. What are u doing raising ambient temps (because that it will work well for) or adding an actual basking spot? That it will not be as effective at. If its a certain temp basking spot ur after finding the correct distance to the spot and the correct bulb is all u need not a thermostat. If ur raising ambient temps this will work fine, if u find the lamp turning on and off too often back the lamp off the top a little of no matter what it does this lower the watts of the bulb ya know. Either way keep a digital temp guage on that side n get a cheap temp gun.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tmacsballs For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (10-08-2019)

Thanks

I use theses lamp fixtures for my CHE's

https://www.amazon.com/Flukers-Repta...0114222&sr=8-2

Fluker's, has a ceramic socket and a dimmer switch on it, the 8.5" are pretty big, I use the 5.5" on 20 gallon tank screen tops

At less than 7 bucks and shipped free if you have prime, I think its a good deal

It took a while to get them dialed in, but they hold temps pretty well with just a slight adjustment now and then.

They say they work with up to 75 watt lamps

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (10-08-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Is it a pulse thermostat? Most of these are pulse (on/off), which don't work well with lamps or CHE. For lamps, dimmers work best.
    Here is a link to info about thermostat's and the different types. https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/blo...-do-you-start/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (10-08-2019)

Thanks

Thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    I use theses lamp fixtures for my CHE's

https://www.amazon.com/Flukers-Repta...0114222&sr=8-2

Fluker's, has a ceramic socket and a dimmer switch on it, the 8.5" are pretty big, I use the 5.5" on 20 gallon tank screen tops

At less than 7 bucks and shipped free if you have prime, I think its a good deal

It took a while to get them dialed in, but they hold temps pretty well with just a slight adjustment now and then.

They say they work with up to 75 watt lamps
    That’s the lamp I have. It had the dimmer dial on the cord. And I have a 30 gallon screen top tank. I did end up ordering one like the one I had in the picture but it was a Vivosun. And I’m in Canada so Amazon.com is no good to me :/.
    Thank you tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Parsons483; 10-08-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Any better?

https://www.amazon.ca/Flukers-Repta-...0114222&sr=8-2

(I changed the .com to .ca
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (10-08-2019),Parsons483 (10-08-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast