Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,811

0 members and 2,811 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

New to the hobby and needing help with morphs

So im new in the hobby starting small but i couldnt help but fall in love with ball pythons and the different morphs and im learning as much has possible but one thing im having trouble with is identifying the morphs. I cant find any good site online that really have any info. when im watching a clutch cutting video they can instantly tell what the hatch is just fro ma seconds glance. How? i mean i have a banana enchi and most of the combos i would breed it with result in banana's with the combos but they all look very similar. how do you tell the difference between banana pastel and banana enchi pastel? I tired looking up online and some say that the normal alien heads have two 'eyes' and pastels have one but i have seen pastels with two other then the bellys being different, I just cant seem to locate a good source with pictures that describes the difference in the morphs and how to visually identify them.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: New to the hobby and needing help with morphs

There is no quick and easy catalog/website/resource to comprehensively identify all morphs based on specific traits. There are varying levels of genetic expression among individuals/colonies--so certain expected traits may/may not be present. It is possible to have two very very different examples of the same morph.

IMO: The best way to learn is to look at a lot of photos of known examples and watch YouTube videos to see someone holding Morph A and Morph B together and have someone explain the differences between the two. Once you have an idea what to look for: You should be able to hold your hatchlings side-by-side for comparison and make an educated determination.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 10-01-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks
    I figured there wasnt a quick way i dont mind doing my research but i had just been coming up with nothing really. I have been watching alot of videos on just morphs and alot of them are not too informative on the identifying. i figured it would take time to learn was just hoping there was some site i was missing i looked up alot of different pages even went through on the genetic wizard page and was looking at the combos with the pictues but they have zero description for anything just pictures and i mean so many bananas look the same when fresh hatched to be able to tell a banana from a banana pastel i just dont see it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    It takes experience to get good, there really is no good site with pics AND descriptions to study. Probably because there are just too many morphs and combos now with some having little if anything different enough to see let alone describe. I'm just happy to have a reference like the genetic wizard to at least show some pictures of many of the morphs and combos. It still has a lot of blanks but it's the best I've found. Other than studying pictures, experience is going to be your best bet to get good at IDing. Nobody knows them all and even the pros have to make their best guess on some so you just need to put the time in and as you get more experienced you'll get better at IDing.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It takes looking at different morph online and in person at different stages from out of the egg to adulthood, it takes a good eye and sometime when you hatch something new and there is no reference it takes deduction skills and comparaison.

The more you do all this the better you get, that does not mean you will be able to identify every single morph there is out there or every single combos, but you get efficient with those you specifically work with.

This is a good start http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/ but remember pictures do not compare with looking at animal in person for obvious reasons.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: New to the hobby and needing help with morphs

What they said above is true... lots and lots and LOTS of time and practice looking at various pictures and going to shows and asking questions. Basically, experience! lol

Here are a couple good places to start looking:
    http://www.worldofballpythons.com/
    https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...-pythons/index

If someone mentions a morph and I want to see what it looks like, these websites are usually the place I start to look. That and a good ol' google search.