Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,904

1 members and 2,903 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question selling snakes with neuro issues

Hi all,

I need some advice (please). I bought out (rescued) a collection a few months ago and finally have most of them up to a decent weight (they were all thin - some were severely emaciated but that's a different story). Anyway, included in the bunch was a pastel enchi champagne male with a slight neuro issue (not a wobble, not a corkscrew - just a funny way of holding his head and not really noticeable unless you are looking), a champagne female with mild deficit (definite corkscrew but not severe) and a little spinner with a BAD corkscrew. The good news is that they can all eat/drink on their own. It is a point of pride to me that I don't breed snakes known to have neuro issues (and I avoid spiders and champagnes for precisely that reason)...but since I have them, I have to figure out what to do with them. I'll rehome the spinner as a pet once she is at a good weight (she was one of the worst off) but for the pastel enchi champagne male, is it ethical to sell him? He's a really pretty and sweet snake and tbh I could use the cash (they are several hundred dollars on morphmarket). I'll give full disclosure but I'm still conflicted. Would my ethical burden be lifted if I sell him with the intent of putting the $$ towards future rescues? Thanks for the input!
    Jill

1.0 firefly yellowbelly, 1.0 pastel het pied het SK axanthic, 1.0 pewter het pied, 1.0 Graziani pastel, 1.0 GHI, 1.0 piebald, 1.0 superpastel, 1.0 ivory, 0.1 vanilla mojave, 0.1 vanilla, 0.1 trick yellowbelly, 0.1 yellowbelly, 0.1 lesser fire, 0.1 bamboo, 0.1 woma, .01 pastel enchi, 0.3 multi-het mystery girls

this is why I don't keep potato chips in the house....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to roundbrowndog For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I commend you for asking this question, & I think selling them is just fine as long as you give full-disclosure. Some buyers know already what to expect, but you
    surely don't want to have a buyer be unaware & upset with you. Your ethics are in good shape, I'd say.

And like you, I'd never breed any snakes known to have neuro issues...no matter how pretty...I just wouldn't. But these need homes, they're "here now".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-29-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

roundbrowndog (09-29-2019)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: selling snakes with neuro issues

Quote Originally Posted by roundbrowndog View Post
    I bought out (rescued) a collection a few months ago...I have to figure out what to do with them.
    Hmmmm...
    *.* TNTC

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-29-2019),Craiga 01453 (09-29-2019)

Thanks
    Ethical burdens aside, I only buy animals I plan to keep for life. I find it funny how many snakes are claimed as rescues. And im not implying it in your situation. But if you bought out a collection and kept the stuff you wanted and decided to sell the other animals you should feel no ethical burden as long as your buyer has 100% of the information. However I would have a ethical burden trying to sell them at the price of breedable ball python, especially if you are against the breeding of these genes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MattEvans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-29-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    pastel enchi champagne male with a slight neuro issue (not a wobble, not a corkscrew - just a funny way of holding his head and not really noticeable unless you are looking)
    That's called wobble wobble is a general term that does include what you are describing and varies from very mild to severe.

It is known that Spiders, Champagne and a few other mutation do wobble to a degree people are just focus on the Spider gene dismissing the others.

Those genes are sold every day and those animal do very well and the wobbling can vary, now is it ethical to sell animals like this? I don't see an issue with it, now the question is are buyers educated and should you educate them or does the responsibility falls on the buyer?

I believe a buyer should be informed on what they are buying and should do their own research regardless of the mutation, regardless of the animal, regardless of the species, however the reality of it most do not and are clueless and do their research after the fact so in your interest disclosing the fact that specific animals with specific genetic may display certain traits such as wobble is best.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

MattEvans (09-29-2019),roundbrowndog (09-29-2019)

Thanks

@ Lord Sorril and Matt Evans...there is (of course) more to the story. I knew what I was getting into so please don't misinterpret my post. I've been breeding for several years..not a lifetime but enough to know the basics of husbandry and I take good care of my snakes (my core group is about 25). I breed because I love the hobby but I purposely limit my collection to maintain a high standard of care (that also means that as a rule I don't buy out collections and had never done so previously). However, from time to time I WILL buy an individual snake (or two) to get them out of a bad situation. That is my choice. This was a similar circumstance, just on a larger scale. I did it as a favor to a friend because at that time I happened to have both the cash AND space to take them. When I got to them the snakes were sitting in over an an inch of filth and urine in racks outside in 98 degree heat and hadn't been cared for in weeks. No I don't know how they survived. ALL were underweight and several were sloughing skin. 4 snakes were so emaciated that I wasn't sure they'd make it (I'm surprised they did). The priority at the time wasn't which morphs were in the collection or even what I'd do with the collection. The priority was getting them into a healthy environment before they died/starved to death. I was in regular contact with my vet the entire time. I didn't even go through and match inventory to the list of snakes until after the first month. I understand your feelings about buying a snake without planning to keep it but that wasn't the situation we were in. I am not particularly concerned about whether it is a "rescue" or a purchase - that wasn't the point of the post in the first place. Another note: I did shelter work for many years - I'm quite familiar with the concept of forever homes. I choose not to breed dogs and cats precisely because I find it unethical to do so. I simply wanted to know - since I DON'T breed from snakes with neuro issues - whether folks thought I could or should sell the one with the mild issue.
    Jill

1.0 firefly yellowbelly, 1.0 pastel het pied het SK axanthic, 1.0 pewter het pied, 1.0 Graziani pastel, 1.0 GHI, 1.0 piebald, 1.0 superpastel, 1.0 ivory, 0.1 vanilla mojave, 0.1 vanilla, 0.1 trick yellowbelly, 0.1 yellowbelly, 0.1 lesser fire, 0.1 bamboo, 0.1 woma, .01 pastel enchi, 0.3 multi-het mystery girls

12. The Following User Says Thank You to roundbrowndog For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-29-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you won't keep them as pets only, sell (cheap) or adopt out as non-breeding pets only. Draw up a contract about he non breeding. Or find a teacher that needs a class mascot.

They can feed an drink so they have what 10-15 years of life left?

Good luck!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-29-2019),MattEvans (09-29-2019)

Thanks

Great suggestions! I definitely agree re the pet only...that's the plan with the spinner and the other champagne eventually (assuming and hoping new owners will abide by it - that's why I screen ppl. ). But this little male would definitely be perfect for a classroom - I'll ask around. Thanks!
    Jill

16. The Following User Says Thank You to roundbrowndog For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-29-2019)