Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,422

2 members and 3,420 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Eye looks weird after shed?

HI all, new to this forum. Was hoping to get some help with my ball python please.

I got her as a baby like two months ago or so and she just went thru her first shed with me... the shed mostly came off in one whole piece and I'm like 90 percent sure both eye caps came off. Well I noticed one of her eyes is like puffy and stretched out a little bit. Was wondering if this is anything to be concerned about? Do you think it happened while rubbing against something trying to get the skin off?

I appreciate any help sent my way!
    Thank you

Thanks
    https://imgur.com/a/jA3DIzD

Sorry..tried to attach an image but it isn't working...there is the link though

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I cant really see from that picture. Any chance you can share a few more, from different angles?
    And if you can show the other eye that may help too.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    I agree with Craig...I can't tell much from that photo- I'm not seeing what you're asking about?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    https://imgur.com/a/WUpzZSr

Here's an album of pics... I did my best but she just ate like 4 hours ago so didn't wanna mess with her too much. There's a pic of the normal looking eye and then the rest are the eye I'm talking about. One pic you can see it really clearly...its like white stuff in the corner underneath the eye. It didn't look like that before the shed. It's like the skin is swollen or stretched out or something. I dunno. This is my first snake in like 10 years so I dunno if I'm worrying about nothing or what. I'm sure if it is something it will prolly heal with her next shed. But was just wondering if you guys have seen something like that before.

Thanks
    That happens now & then, & should go back to normal after a while...the 'white stuff' is the skin lining around her eyeball that sometimes gets a little stretched out like this after a snake sheds their eye-caps. It's not common, but not unheard of. It's a good question, actually. But if it actually swells, have a vet check it out for possible infection...as far as I can tell right now from your photos, it's nothing to stress over.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-27-2019 at 09:17 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-27-2019),Lord Sorril (09-28-2019),mechliam (09-28-2019)

Thanks
    Ok that's kinda what I figured happened. Just wasn't sure how serious it was. I will definitely keep an eye on it. Otherwise she is in really good health. I offered her two meals during the shedding process that she refused but she went right back to eating a few hours after she was done shedding. Glad it came off In one piece too so I know my humidity is on point.

Thank you so much for the help! Hopefully it heals up quickly.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Eye looks weird after shed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That happens now & then, & should go back to normal after a while...the 'white stuff' is the skin lining around her eyeball that sometimes gets a little stretched out like this after a snake sheds their eye-caps. It's not common, but not unheard of. It's a good question, actually. But if it actually swells, have a vet check it out for possible infection...as far as I can tell right now from your photos, it's nothing to stress over.
    I agree 100%.

I've only had it happen to one of mine one time. It'll fix itself. My boys was fixed in a few days, and from what I understand a few days is typical when this happens.

Thanks
    I wonder if BPs are more prone to it than other snakes...maybe because of their large eyes? I can recall one of mine having this too, but it's been many years
    since I've had a BP, & many snakes before & since...that's the only time I recall seeing it. I know someone else asked on this forum within the last year too.

Thanks
    It still hasn't really gotten better yet. It's not worse really at all I don't think..but still kinda the same. You guys think I should still just keep an eye on it or should I take her to the vet? They can't really do anything for that can they? Maybe it will get better after he next shed or just more time? I think it's been like a little over a week and a half.

Other than that she seems fine...is eating every meal and using the bathroom. So I dunno.