Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 539

0 members and 539 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Crested gecko bioactive vivarium

Hi, in the next few month Im gonna star building my crested geckos bioactive enclosure.i have a couple of question to ask you guys:
    -Im gonna make a custom 3d background with spray foam sylicone and all that stuff, i was wandering what if the gecko poops on the background or on the cork how am i gonna clean and disinfect the area because i dont thin that springtails and isopods are gonna climb up to clean that mess
    -same question but for cleaning plants leaf
    -is it ok to spray the enclosure with distilled water so i wont have those limestone spot on the glass or the gecko need to drink minerali water with all the suff in it?
    -my house dont get too cold during the year, of i pace a 30w led light a ove the enclosure will it provider the heat necessary for my gecko?
    Tnks
    Last edited by Lucky01; 09-25-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Crested gecko bioactive vivarium

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky01 View Post
    Hi, in the next few month Im gonna star building my crested geckos bioactive enclosure.i have a couple of question to ask you guys:
    -Im gonna make a custom 3d background with spray foam sylicone and all that stuff, i was wandering what if the gecko poops on the background or on the cork how am i gonna clean and disinfect the area because i dont thin that springtails and isopods are gonna climb up to clean that mess
    -is it ok to spray the enclosure with distilled water so i wont have those limestone spot on the glass or the gecko need to drink minerali water with all the suff in it?
    -my house dont get too cold during the year, of i pace a 30w led light a ove the enclosure will it provider the heat necessary for my gecko?
    Tnks
    Crested usually get all their need when it comes to calcium etc from their food so I would not worry about the water.

As far as LED they usually do not make much heat if they do it could actually become a problem, the most important is that your LED emits full spectrums rays because while not needed for your geckos they will be needed for your plants, this is what I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which fit in the zoomed naturalistic hood (allowing a bulb for heat and one for light)

Again heat is fine but within reason for heat I actually use 60 watts black light which raise which raises the temps and allow for night time viewing without disturbing your animal, if you need heat you will likely need it day and night, and a LED light would interfere with your crested night and day cycle.

To know how a heat bulb raise heat based on wattage and enclosure height I encourage you to read this http://www.exo-terra.com/download/me...nterzoo_EN.pdf (starting page 33)
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 09-25-2019 at 04:15 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dr del (09-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Crested usually get all their need when it comes to calcium etc from their food so I would not worry about the water.

As far as LED they usually do not make much heat if they do it could actually become a problem, the most important is that your LED emits full spectrums rays because while not needed for your geckos they will be needed for your plants, this is what I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which fit in the zoomed naturalistic hood (allowing a bulb for heat and one for light)

Again heat is fine but within reason for heat I actually use 60 watts black light which raise which raises the temps and allow for night time viewing without disturbing your animal, if you need heat you will likely need it day and night, and a LED light would interfere with your crested night and day cycle.

To know how a heat bulb raise heat based on wattage and enclosure height I encourage you to read this http://www.exo-terra.com/download/me...nterzoo_EN.pdf (starting page 33)
    Talking about the full Ray led, i have an aquarium with lots of plants i have the same led light and the plants grow like crazy https://www.amazon.it/Proiettore-Imp...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    What about the cleaning part?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Tnks
    Spot cleaning is still required (or recommended) with a bioactive terrarium.

If you're misting, use distilled water, so it doesnt clog up the equipment over time.

I don't think crested geckos need external heat, beyond room temperature.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

And i have read that tey can tollerare night drop of about 60 f and in no way my house will reach temperature below that even in winter night

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    Spot cleaning is still required (or recommended) with a bioactive terrarium.

If you're misting, use distilled water, so it doesnt clog up the equipment over time.

I don't think crested geckos need external heat, beyond room temperature.
    Yeah but even if i clean there are a lot of nooks and crannies that i cant clean will that be ok in the long term?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Talking about the full Ray led, i have an aquarium with lots of plants i have the same led light and the plants grow like crazy https://www.amazon.it/Proiettore-Imp...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    What about the cleaning part?
    Cleaning wise the background usually stays pretty clean for whatever reason it is the glass part of your enclosure that will require cleaning most than anywhere else, poop, smeared food, etc, to clean the glass I use a dilution of regular water with a little bit of vinegar makes the glass clean without streak, it can be used on plant too.

Temps wise your ideal will be 21/25 celsius for a crested anything over 25 will kill your gecko so be mindful of that with your LED light if it emits heat and also be mindful at night if the temps drop.

Mine do well during most of the year without heat but during the winter I supplement heat to maintain optimum temps so my geckos metabolism does not slow down.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

wnateg (09-25-2019)