Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,007

6 members and 3,001 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Feeders in Louisiana

Guys I’m newer to the hobby and I’ve never looked for feeders in Louisiana before and I’m having a very difficult time. Does anyone know where I could find live pinky mice? I’m in the Win parish area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I don't know how many active members here are in your area? -but have you tried checking locally on Craigslist (or by putting a "feeders wanted" ad on CL), or in
    other local media? (ie. where I live, a local radio station also has an online presence with local news, plus free ads for selling or items wanted, pets lost/found, etc)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Feeders in Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I don't know how many active members here are in your area? -but have you tried checking locally on Craigslist (or by putting a "feeders wanted" ad on CL), or in
    other local media? (ie. where I live, a local radio station also has an online presence with local news, plus free ads for selling or items wanted, pets lost/found, etc)
    I’ve checked Craigslist and I can’t find absolutely anyone, I did not put an ad out yet. I’m kind of hesitant about that because of the amount of spam calls I receive. I’ve called almost every pet store in the area and they won’t sell pinkies. The one that told me they did was wrong. Their breeder won’t sell pinkies. I’ve found a guy but he’s over 2 1/2 hrs one way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    I’ve checked Craigslist and I can’t find absolutely anyone, I did not put an ad out yet. I’m kind of hesitant about that because of the amount of spam calls I receive. I’ve called almost every pet store in the area and they won’t sell pinkies. The one that told me they did was wrong. Their breeder won’t sell pinkies. I’ve found a guy but he’s over 2 1/2 hrs one way.

Something tells me you'd better get your rosy on f/t, or else raise your own mice, which is not a great option because the pinkies don't appear at the same schedule as your snake wants to eat, plus they keep growing. Hindsight being 20:20, this would have been good to research before you got this snake, especially since you're kinda new to switching snakes to f/t, right? Have you tried calling vet offices, to see if they know of anyone raising rodents or snakes? A 5 hour road-trip is not an option to buy a pinky.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-24-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks

Something tells me you'd better get your rosy on f/t, or else raise your own mice, which is not a great option because the pinkies don't appear at the same schedule as your snake wants to eat, plus they keep growing. Hindsight being 20:20, this would have been good to research before you got this snake, especially since you're kinda new to switching snakes to f/t, right? Have you tried calling vet offices, to see if they know of anyone raising rodents or snakes? A 5 hour road-trip is not an option to buy a pinky.
    I switched my BP before but it was easy with no issues, I got lucky. I’m not going to give up on getting the Rosy a live mice if needed, I will figure something out. I’ve been calling and checking places and I still have some options. I was not expecting the pet store to give me false information, I knew they sold mice and the told me they sold pinkies live but that’s not the case. You know how pet store employees can be. I’m considering breeding mice for my snake and maybe freezing the extras to save. I’m hopeful he will switch given time.

Thanks
    It's really hard to say how long it may take. In my experience, the 'feistier' rosy boas are easier to switch, while the more passive ones seem to need the additional
    inspiration of a live pinky, in part because they're more uptight about human presence. That's terrible that the pet store gave you false information- did they say why
    they refuse to sell them live? Is this a Petco? -or similar shop that thinks all rodents should themselves be pets? What a shame...

Thanks

Feeders in Louisiana

It's really hard to say how long it may take. In my experience, the 'feistier' rosy boas are easier to switch, while the more passive ones seem to need the additional
    inspiration of a live pinky, in part because they're more uptight about human presence. That's terrible that the pet store gave you false information- did they say why
    they refuse to sell them live? Is this a Petco? -or similar shop that thinks all rodents should themselves be pets? What a shame...
    The store told me they could order them live no problem, they contacted their breeder and they said they do not sell live pinks. It’s a personally owned pet store but a pretty successful one on my opinion and they sell frozen feeder mice and live.

Last edited by NewmanLovesSnakes; 09-25-2019 at 11:31 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    There is a group on Facebook called "Feeder Breeder Enthusiasts" that is a great resource of people who know the majority of who's breeding what across the US without risk of judgement for feeding rodents. I'd suggest asking there. That's how I've found all my sources and got all my starting stock for Rats. Am working on Mice and ASFs next.

Paul

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-25-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (09-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pbenner View Post
    There is a group on Facebook called "Feeder Breeder Enthusiasts" that is a great resource of people who know the majority of who's breeding what across the US without risk of judgement for feeding rodents. I'd suggest asking there. That's how I've found all my sources and got all my starting stock for Rats. Am working on Mice and ASFs next.

Paul
    Thank you so much, I’ll go check them out.